Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DNS and a forum.

One of the car forums I'm a member of went down the other day. Firefox
reported site not found.

It has a 'sister' forum as a Facebook group, and it seemed only those
using BT Infinity had lost the main forum. And the forum administrator
reported that changing the DNS server in his BT router got it working on
his PC.

However, it seemed to be sorted a couple of days later without doing
anything here.

What are the pros and cons on changing the DNS server that BT expects you
to use?

--
*Starfishes have no brains *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

What are the pros and cons on changing the DNS server that BT expects you
to use?

Is BT one of the ISPs that does "Parental Controls" by DNS? If so that
feature then.

I use Open DNS, becuase VM's have, on occasion, been unreliable. Yes, I
am aware that it means that OpenDNS/Cisco knows which sites I visit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/16 16:56, Lee wrote:

What are the pros and cons on changing the DNS server that BT expects you
to use?

Is BT one of the ISPs that does "Parental Controls" by DNS? If so that
feature then.

I use Open DNS, becuase VM's have, on occasion, been unreliable. Yes, I
am aware that it means that OpenDNS/Cisco knows which sites I visit.

You can run your own DNS anyway.

And see what sites your kids are visiting!

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lee wrote:

What are the pros and cons on changing the DNS server that BT expects
you to use?

Is BT one of the ISPs that does "Parental Controls" by DNS? If so that
feature then.

I dunno. Not needed here anyway.

I use Open DNS, becuase VM's have, on occasion, been unreliable. Yes, I
am aware that it means that OpenDNS/Cisco knows which sites I visit.

On the Facebook forum, the Google DNS server was recommended. That sort of
didn't appeal to me. ;-)

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 06/06/2016 17:15, Jethro_uk wrote:

Cleanfeed ? I thought it was below DNS level. Otherwise you could just
use OpenDNS/GoogleDNS and bypass it (which you can't).

It's the same system that blocks Piratebay sites. (With probably the same
effectiveness).

No Cleanfeed is a separate thing.
I meant "BT Protect", which is DNS based and apparently complains if
it's enabled and you try to switch DNS servers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
One of the car forums I'm a member of went down the other day. Firefox
reported site not found.

It has a 'sister' forum as a Facebook group, and it seemed only those
using BT Infinity had lost the main forum. And the forum administrator
reported that changing the DNS server in his BT router got it working on
his PC.

However, it seemed to be sorted a couple of days later without doing
anything here.

What are the pros and cons on changing the DNS server that BT expects you
to use?

I switched mine from the default Demon provided ones to OpenDNS for
primary and Google for secondary. Poor reliability was the issue. The
Demon ones are still operating ; I've just pinged one.

I've never had any problems since I switched.

Brian
--
Brian Howie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
On 06/06/16 16:56, Lee wrote:

What are the pros and cons on changing the DNS server that BT expects you
to use?

Is BT one of the ISPs that does "Parental Controls" by DNS? If so that
feature then.

I use Open DNS, becuase VM's have, on occasion, been unreliable. Yes, I
am aware that it means that OpenDNS/Cisco knows which sites I visit.

You can run your own DNS anyway.

I've run my own since first having Demon dialup.
I used to dump the cache at the end of the call, and load it back
in again at the start of the next call, hoping it saved me some
performance at 14.4k.

I did come unstuck a few weeks ago. It seems I hadn't updated the
root.hint file for an ambarrasing number of years, and eventually
it all ground to a halt ;-) Fortunately easily fixed.

And see what sites your kids are visiting!

There are probably more accurate ways tp do that. The young kid's
PC gets to use openDNS, and not the real DNS.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Well it is a DIY forum ss UK diy 26 January 20th 13 10:01 PM
OT...car forum Curt Home Repair 6 November 3rd 11 02:49 PM
Is this a metalworking forum or a political forum??? KG Metalworking 13 January 26th 10 12:21 AM
CRB Forum amdx Electronics 1 September 20th 09 09:34 PM
A very odd forum Eric Electronics Repair 8 March 3rd 06 07:01 AM