Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
KG KG is offline

Default Is this a metalworking forum or a political forum???

Is this a metalworking forum or a political forum? I find 70% of the post is some nut parroting
the talking points of some weird political agenda. Lets get back to metal working.
*****************
Thank You

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Never ever underestimate the incompetent.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

KG wrote in
:

Is this a metalworking forum or a political forum? I find 70% of the
post is some nut parroting the talking points of some weird political
agenda. Lets get back to metal working. *****************
Thank You

In answer to your question,: a bit of both most days.

This is why God invented newsreaders with kill filters. I never see about
a third of the posts here. If I got fancier with my filters, I could cut
it to half. Some of the "political" threads I actually find interesting,
which is why I haven't killed more of them. It gets a bit tricky, because
a number of the more helpful and knowledgeable metal working experts are
also active in many political threads, so you can't just killfile them.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

KG wrote:
Is this a metalworking forum or a political forum? I find 70% of the post is some nut parroting
the talking points of some weird political agenda. Lets get back to metal working.
*****************
Thank You

You're new here, aren't you
RR

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randall Replogle wrote:
KG wrote:
Is this a metalworking forum or a political forum? I find 70% of the
post is some nut parroting
the talking points of some weird political agenda. Lets get back to
metal working.
*****************
Thank You

You're new here, aren't you
RR

Great big LAUGH !!!!!
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

KG wrote:

Is this a metalworking forum or a political forum? I find 70% of the post is some nut parroting
the talking points of some weird political agenda. Lets get back to metal working.
*****************

Have you spent much time on usenet recently?

I see you have Agent. Start off with filtering TMT, Cliff, and the larry's. Then add
those from outside groups that just can't avoid biting on the troll bait. Press I to
ignore threads you see going nowhere. Be happy.

Never ever underestimate the incompetent.

Wow, the start of a political thread. You might fit in

Wes
--

Someone please resolve for me the dichotomy of 'ignorance of the law is no defense'
with congress critters telling me they don't read the

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 23, 12:31*pm, Wes wrote:
KG wrote:
Is this a metalworking forum or a political forum? *I find 70% *of the post is some nut parroting
the talking points of some weird political agenda. *Lets get back to metal working.
*****************

Have you spent much time on usenet recently?

I see you have Agent. *Start off with filtering TMT, Cliff, and the larry's. *Then add
those from outside groups that just can't avoid biting on the troll bait. *Press I to
ignore threads you see going nowhere. *Be happy.

Never ever underestimate the incompetent.

Wow, the start of a political thread. *You might fit in

Wes
--

Someone please resolve for me the dichotomy of 'ignorance of the law is no defense'
with congress critters telling me they don't read the
bills because you need a team of lawyers to understand it.

LOL...Wes you are showing your hypocrite side again.

The offender of the political BS is Gunner...and just because you and
he share the same BS views you love him.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 23, 10:31*am, KG wrote:
Is this a metalworking forum or a political forum? *I find 70% *of the post is some nut parroting
the talking points of some weird political agenda. *Lets get back to metal working.
*****************
Thank You

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Never ever underestimate the incompetent.

Welcome to the group.

RCM is a great group...in spite of its flaws.

I have monitored this group for decades and it has been a great one to
learn from.

I encourage you to review the older posts...5, 10 15 years back...they
have much to teach.

All of Usenet has the off topic stuff..which in my opinion makes it
even more interesting and educational.

The recent problem we see with the ever increasing political posts
mirrors the tension of the nation...and the desperation of the
conservative following.

You will see that the conservative right is the vast majority of this
BS.

And it has been tolerated to a large part here because of the majority
of individuals here are older and more conservative.

Also certain interests like guns that are metal related draw the more
conservative audience.

For many years I would just skim over the political discussions and
rarely participated.

In the last few years, I found the overwhelming conservative slant of
the multitude of discussions to be ...well let's just say I was got
sick and tried of the bald face lies.

So I decided to join in with a bit of my own contributions...to
balance out the final result.

The fact that the conservative loudmouths can't stand me now says more
about them than it does about me.

As to how to use this resource, I would recommend skimming for obvious
metalworking discussions.

Any political post that I make here is clearly marked OT to alert you
that it likely does not contain metalworking content.

Feel free to ask questions...someone knowledgable will respond.

And again welcome to the group.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 23, 10:44*am, Doug White wrote:
KG wrote :

Is this a metalworking forum or a political forum? *I find 70% *of the
post is some nut parroting the talking points of some weird political
agenda. *Lets get back to metal working. *****************
Thank You

In answer to your question,: a bit of both most days.

This is why God invented newsreaders with kill filters. *I never see about
a third of the posts here. *If I got fancier with my filters, I could cut
it to half. *Some of the "political" threads I actually find interesting,
which is why I haven't killed more of them. *It gets a bit tricky, because
a number of the more helpful and knowledgeable metal working experts are
also active in many political threads, so you can't just killfile them.

Doug White

Doug is correct here.

Filtering is a good way to kill many of the political spam posts.

It does pay to look unfiltered once in awhile to check for the one
that got away.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

That's an insult to retarded children. They are like brain damaged
lawyers on 'The hill'.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"KG" wrote in message
Is this a metalworking forum or a political forum? I find 70% of the
post is some nut parroting
the talking points of some weird political agenda. Lets get back to metal
working.
*****************
Thank You

New here, huh? I'll give you your first clue. ALWAYS read the Subject:
box. You can learn a lot from observing. If it says how to seduce a goat,
that's probably what it is about. If it asks about a lathe, that's probably
what it is about. It's really easy.

Next, learn how to use those little arrows at the right bottom of the
keyboard. Priceless when skipping stuff.

Finally, learn how to use filters.

What you end up with is still corrupted, but manageable.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:31:46 -0500, KG wrote:

Is this a metalworking forum or a political forum?

Yes. C) All of the above.

A little bit of this is healthy, but as usual there are a few in every
bunch who "don't play well with others."

Unfortunately, there are some people who simply can't keep their
political spew from invading other places, or people who can be both
useful, then infuriating, then right back to useful in the course of
thirty seconds...

You need to filter it out yourself, and you have the tools available
to do it and make this a nice place to hang out.

You are using Agent 3.3 - get with the program and upgrade, you have
Sub-thread level Ignore Thread filtering available in Agent 5 and
later.

Ignore Sub-thread is wonderful, especially for the "bipolar" people
mentioned above. When the thread devolves from useful information and
into politics, you can go to the instigator and hit "Ignore
Sub-thread" and everything past that point goes away.

Then fill up your Kill Filters with people you never see making any
useful positive and informative posts, and who insist on crossposting
to the Survivalist and Kooks groups, or into the Chevy and Ford groups
at the same time to start a flame war - view the headers and it's easy
to see who the real instigators are, they added the crossposts.

I Prefer to use the "Mark As Read" option, just in case they did say
something useful you have it cached locally and can go back and read
it later. Some people like to set short expiry dates on their posts
and set the "X-No-Archive" header flag, trying to keep the insults
they hurled today from coming back to haunt them later...

Doesn't work very well, but they still try.

The "Expire this filter after 30- 60 - 90 days" option can be used as
a temporary "Time Out". Or if they keep popping back up like
clockwork, blank out the field and make it permanent.

I find 70% of the post is some nut parroting
the talking points of some weird political agenda. Lets get back to metal working.
*****************
Thank You

Hell, I'd be HAPPY if we could get it down to only 70%. ;-)

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:12:27 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

Then fill up your Kill Filters with people you never see making any
useful positive and informative posts, and who insist on crossposting
to the Survivalist and Kooks groups, or into the Chevy and Ford groups
at the same time to start a flame war - view the headers and it's easy
to see who the real instigators are, they added the crossposts.

Oh, I forgot something VERY important. The First Rule of the Plonk
Club is, there IS NO Plonk Club.

If you kill filter someone DO NOT announce that you did it, just do it
and quietly move on. They don't exist anymore, "they're dead to you."
Even if they get quoted and seen, you don't see it.

(And fools who insist on quoting the troll just to serve as an
enabler, they get their own Ignore Sub-thread or kill filter too.)

Because if the troll knows they are getting under your skin and are
being actively ignored, they will try several tricks to bypass the
filtering and keep annoying you.

Problem being, now that they are annoying you again with a new nym,
they are also annoying everyone else anew who made the same decision
but did it quietly. And we *all* have to refresh our filtering. In
another newsgroup I have fifty-plus filters to kill off one person.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

TY for a new slant I had not heard before.

Steve

Trust but verify (metalworking not political) Wes[_2_] Metalworking 4 November 8th 09 08:11 PM
CRB Forum amdx Electronics 1 September 20th 09 09:34 PM
I need a forum! Ann Woodworking 0 April 13th 07 09:02 AM
new to this forum gasman pete UK diy 20 April 11th 06 11:35 AM