Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tracking Cats

Does anyone know anything about tracking devices for cats? Daughter's
cat went missing for 3.5 days and, they say, is not being let out again
until he has a tracking device.

There seem to be some expensive devices and some cheap ones from Hong
Kong. They all seem to say GPS, phone tracking and use a sim card,
presumably to text co-ordinates to either you or a central site for
which a fee is required. Some also use wifi or bluetooth for near base.

Son and I think it would be a waste of money (approx £150 UK or £25
Chinese) because keeping the thing charged would be almost impossible.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2016 22:52, Bill wrote:
Does anyone know anything about tracking devices for cats? Daughter's
cat went missing for 3.5 days and, they say, is not being let out again
until he has a tracking device.

There seem to be some expensive devices and some cheap ones from Hong
Kong. They all seem to say GPS, phone tracking and use a sim card,
presumably to text co-ordinates to either you or a central site for
which a fee is required. Some also use wifi or bluetooth for near base.

Son and I think it would be a waste of money (approx £150 UK or £25
Chinese) because keeping the thing charged would be almost impossible.

http://www.bigclive.com/gps.htm

Some Ebay listings suggesting GPS are not trackers or GPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-gJOvrUl9o

If you need a PAYG SIM where the credit doesn't run out until you use it
try GiffGaff (basic PAYG and NOT the goody or data bags options -
order a SIM from the GG web site and just put credit on it)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 June 2016 22:55:27 UTC+1, Bill wrote:
Does anyone know anything about tracking devices for cats? Daughter's
cat went missing for 3.5 days and, they say, is not being let out again
until he has a tracking device.

There seem to be some expensive devices and some cheap ones from Hong
Kong. They all seem to say GPS, phone tracking and use a sim card,
presumably to text co-ordinates to either you or a central site for
which a fee is required. Some also use wifi or bluetooth for near base.

Son and I think it would be a waste of money (approx £150 UK or £25
Chinese) because keeping the thing charged would be almost impossible.

4.99 on ebay or amazon.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
4.99 on ebay or amazon.

Aren't they just bluetooth?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 June 2016 00:45:30 UTC+1, Bill wrote:
In message ,
tabbypurr writes

4.99 on ebay or amazon.

Aren't they just bluetooth?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spy-Mini-G...25.m3641.l6368

£1.59.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Bill wrote
tabbypurr wrote

4.99 on ebay or amazon.

Aren't they just bluetooth?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spy-Mini-G...25.m3641.l6368

£1.59.

That isnt going to work with a cat that goes slutting around the
neighbours places seeing what it can con the neighbours into.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/6/2016 7:00 AM, wrote:
On Monday, 6 June 2016 00:45:30 UTC+1, Bill wrote:
In message ,
tabbypurr writes

4.99 on ebay or amazon.

Aren't they just bluetooth?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spy-Mini-G...25.m3641.l6368

£1.59.

NT

Yes, the phone has GPS. Not the tag, which just has bluetooth. The phone
knows where it was when the tag disconnects (so you know where you
dropped something).

If someone else *using the same app* has a phone within range of the
tag, it will flag that phone's location. So I guess it might work in
somewhere like Central Park.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Write to that show hich used these about a year or so back they even had
cameras fitted on some.

Most of te time cats get locked into sheds and garages, and that is the
reason they are missing, as nobody has taught them to use door handles yet.

Inside trapped cats will probably not be able to indicate their position if
the lose gps in any case.
You will find they patrol regualr routes and attempt to slightly expandthem
if they encounter no resistance from other cats. The farm cat is usually
more roaming than the city cat.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill" wrote in message
Does anyone know anything about tracking devices for cats? Daughter's cat
went missing for 3.5 days and, they say, is not being let out again until
he has a tracking device.

There seem to be some expensive devices and some cheap ones from Hong
Kong. They all seem to say GPS, phone tracking and use a sim card,
presumably to text co-ordinates to either you or a central site for which
a fee is required. Some also use wifi or bluetooth for near base.

Son and I think it would be a waste of money (approx £150 UK or £25
Chinese) because keeping the thing charged would be almost impossible.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You also need to be careful they do not get snagged on branches etc, as
they can harm the cat or get lost.

The only ones I've seen are kind of out of range warning devices for kids,
so you can keep an eye on where they are.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill" wrote in message
In message ,
writes
4.99 on ebay or amazon.

Aren't they just bluetooth?
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 June 2016 09:54:09 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Most of te time cats get locked into sheds and garages, and that is the
reason they are missing, as nobody has taught them to use door handles yet.

Mine could do door handles.

Door knobs, yale snibs and padlocks were a bit beyond him though.

Quite a few cats can also open fridges.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 22:52:05 +0100, Bill wrote:

Does anyone know anything about tracking devices for cats? Daughter's
cat went missing for 3.5 days and, they say, is not being let out again
until he has a tracking device.

There seem to be some expensive devices and some cheap ones from Hong
Kong. They all seem to say GPS, phone tracking and use a sim card,
presumably to text co-ordinates to either you or a central site for
which a fee is required. Some also use wifi or bluetooth for near base.

Son and I think it would be a waste of money (approx £150 UK or £25
Chinese) because keeping the thing charged would be almost impossible.

Every tracking device I've seen on the likes of ebay is way too big for a
domestic cat to comfortably wear. They are more geared up to affixing to cars
and hanging round the necks of dementia sufferers. Drug gangs have also used
them to seek out the growing premises and either take the haul themselves or
notify the police and take a competitor out of the market.

A tracker could be made a lot smaller. Components for a 25mm square 10mm thick
tracker (plus battery) is a possibility if you roll your own. Achieving a
battery life of a week or so is one issue, getting the cat to actually retain it
about its person an even bigger one. Collars can easily be lost at the rate of
a couple a week with an active cat moving through snaggy hedges etc.

3.5 days missing is not that unusual, it points more to being caught inside an
outbuilding or an indoor cat just getting confused.

One thing that shouldn't be overlooked is dogs have owners, cats have staff.

The cat could conceivably be seeking out a far better home with staff that talk
to it and pamper to its every needs as and when the cat wants it. Your daughter
could just be nowhere near good enough for what the cat actually deems it
requires, and that is the only measure that really matters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Fredxxx
escribió:

So I presume the reason is because you're a sociopath?

*ding* Yes.

You'd think he would be busy mopping up after the storms in his home
country. What was that you said again about a soggy little island,
Woddles?

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/06/as...-storm-floods/

QED

quite.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 June 2016 22:20:52 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

"T i m" wrote in message
news On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 20:41:28 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
m...
On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 02:25:02 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Monday, 6 June 2016 09:54:09 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Most of te time cats get locked into sheds and garages, and that is
the
reason they are missing, as nobody has taught them to use door
handles
yet.

Mine could do door handles.

Door knobs, yale snibs and padlocks were a bit beyond him though.

Quite a few cats can also open fridges.

Train them a bit more and they won't have to pretend they care if they
live with you or not. ;-)

I think all cats could be trained to use the toilet and flush

You've clearly never tried training animals to do stuff like that.

Sorry, that could should have been a should. ;-)

Plenty of cats can't be. Some cats are so stupid that they
don't even recognise their own name and there is nothing
you can do to get them to do that with those most stupid cats.

Says the **** who posts under numerous 'nyms.

Says the ****wit Dick that can't even manage to work out why that is done.

Why is it done in your case.
You do know that we know that it's you and not another person with the same POV agreeing with your POV don't you ?
Maybe you don't. You do know it's you don't you ?
Or is it like when you show a kitten a mirror they think it's someoen else,
even cats grow up to realise it's not another cat.

When will you grow up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 10:40:58 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 6 June 2016 22:20:52 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

When will you grow up.

never. He's past retirement already.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Slime doesn't grow up, it just oozes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

We bow to your expertise in that area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
You also need to be careful they do not get snagged on branches etc, as
they can harm the cat or get lost.

The only ones I've seen are kind of out of range warning devices for kids,
so you can keep an eye on where they are.

Nowadays, many cat collars are elastic or have some other safety break
to prevent the cat getting permanently caught on something.

Reminds me when I made a cat flap lock (40+ years ago). It used a magnet
on the cat's collar to unlock the capflap. Main problem was the cat came
back from the routine tour of her territory with quite a lot of bits of
ironmongery trailing from the magnet. Had to give that idea up...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 June 2016 16:46:47 UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
You also need to be careful they do not get snagged on branches etc, as
they can harm the cat or get lost.

The only ones I've seen are kind of out of range warning devices for kids,
so you can keep an eye on where they are.

Nowadays, many cat collars are elastic or have some other safety break
to prevent the cat getting permanently caught on something.

with partial effectiveness. Collars kill, but lack of collar results in more disasters.

Reminds me when I made a cat flap lock (40+ years ago). It used a magnet
on the cat's collar to unlock the capflap. Main problem was the cat came
back from the routine tour of her territory with quite a lot of bits of
ironmongery trailing from the magnet. Had to give that idea up...

Sounds like it would have been self solving, gradually.

NT