Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insect screen mesh for vent fan outlet

The insect mesh for the outlet of my ducted shower fan is broken (no -
I don't know how or why, the fan was broken too but I've just replaced
that with a 100m Xpelair - which came with a nice but unmeshed flapped
outlet).

The outlet vent is 5.25" square. Ideally I just want a similar sized,
black, piece of screen mesh which will let air out, keep insects out
and will not rot or corrode.

I must be searching for the wrong thing but I can find rolls of the
stuff or some vents with it inbuilt but not some sensibly priced/sized
pieces. Any pointers please?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , AnthonyL
writes
The insect mesh for the outlet of my ducted shower fan is broken (no -
I don't know how or why, the fan was broken too but I've just replaced
that with a 100m Xpelair - which came with a nice but unmeshed flapped
outlet).

The outlet vent is 5.25" square. Ideally I just want a similar sized,
black, piece of screen mesh which will let air out, keep insects out
and will not rot or corrode.

I must be searching for the wrong thing but I can find rolls of the
stuff or some vents with it inbuilt but not some sensibly priced/sized
pieces. Any pointers please?

Surely if it is *flapped* they could only get in by flying up wind?
Unless you want to keep them in the house?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:01:35 +0100 (GMT+01:00), jim wrote:

The mesh gets bunged up with fluff and the fanwon't extract...

On a shower fan? Well it might but it'll take a while, unlike that on
a tumble dryer...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 May 2016 12:31:17 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Surely if it is *flapped* they could only get in by flying up wind?

On the ones I've looked at the flaps aren't particulary close fitting
so small creatures could get in.

As for the OPs problem:

1) See if Expelair or anybody else does a flapped vent with screen. I
think the cowled and flapped vents I have here (somewhere) have a
screen as well, probably Marley.

2) Look at all screened air vents and see if the screen could be
removed and reporpussed.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
The insect mesh for the outlet of my ducted shower fan is broken (no -
I don't know how or why, the fan was broken too but I've just replaced
that with a 100m Xpelair - which came with a nice but unmeshed flapped
outlet).

The flaps are closed when the fan's not in use, this means no flies can get
in.

The outlet vent is 5.25" square. Ideally I just want a similar sized,
black, piece of screen mesh which will let air out, keep insects out
and will not rot or corrode.

I must be searching for the wrong thing but I can find rolls of the
stuff or some vents with it inbuilt but not some sensibly priced/sized
pieces. Any pointers please?

When the flaps are open, the fan is blowing air from inside to outside, this
means no flies can get in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 May 2016 11:52:19 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
I must be searching for the wrong thing but I can find rolls of the
stuff or some vents with it inbuilt but not some sensibly priced/sized
pieces. Any pointers please?

Ebay is often a good place for small pieces of something.
Eg 1 x 1.2 m for £1.79 delivered
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191876530206
includes free velcro tape

Or stainless steel 9" x 9" for £5
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272251289332

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:01:35 +0100 (GMT+01:00), jim wrote:

The mesh gets bunged up with fluff and the fanwon't extract...

On a shower fan? Well it might but it'll take a while, unlike that on
a tumble dryer...

Yup on shower fans.

Tumble dryers should have their own filters in the machines with
stern notes about cleaning before every use ... -ask the
wife?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/16 16:29, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 10:52:16 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

The insect mesh for the outlet of my ducted shower fan is broken (no -
I don't know how or why, the fan was broken too but I've just replaced
that with a 100m Xpelair - which came with a nice but unmeshed flapped
outlet).

The outlet vent is 5.25" square. Ideally I just want a similar sized,
black, piece of screen mesh which will let air out, keep insects out
and will not rot or corrode.

I must be searching for the wrong thing but I can find rolls of the
stuff or some vents with it inbuilt but not some sensibly priced/sized
pieces. Any pointers please?

Cannibalise a kitchen plastic sieve, but don't tell SWMBO! "No dear, I
don't know where it is. Are you sure you didn't put it in the bin?"

http://www.meshdirect.co.uk/fly-screen-insect-mesh/

He's looking for about a foot square of the stuff not a 5M roll.

Every flapped outlet I have seen is close enough fitting to prevent
insects flying in. Perhaps they'd be able to crawl in but no houses are
hermetically sealed (something you'd need to keep ALL insects out).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/16 21:24, soup wrote:

Every flapped outlet I have seen is close enough fitting to prevent
insects flying in. Perhaps they'd be able to crawl in but no houses are
hermetically sealed (something you'd need to keep ALL insects out).

My soffit vent has a mesh insert - something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S/141330179058
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/05/16 21:24, soup wrote:

Every flapped outlet I have seen is close enough fitting to prevent
insects flying in. Perhaps they'd be able to crawl in but no houses are
hermetically sealed (something you'd need to keep ALL insects out).

My soffit vent has a mesh insert - something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S/141330179058

Can't really see the relevance of a soffit vent mesh to an extractor fan.
Very different functions!

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/16 21:58, Tim+ wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/05/16 21:24, soup wrote:

Every flapped outlet I have seen is close enough fitting to prevent
insects flying in. Perhaps they'd be able to crawl in but no houses are
hermetically sealed (something you'd need to keep ALL insects out).

My soffit vent has a mesh insert - something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S/141330179058

Can't really see the relevance of a soffit vent mesh to an extractor fan.
Very different functions!

Tim

Well, it stops things nesting there...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 May 2016 23:14:16 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
Can't really see the relevance of a soffit vent mesh to an extractor fan.
Very different functions!

Well, it stops things nesting there...

And last year I had a bird nesting in my extractor fan vent. It's no longer used and was plasterboarded over on the inside, but not sufficiently meshed on the outside.

I just discovered the inside bit today and it should be getting foamed up later this week.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was surprised how much putting this stuff over a fan outlet reduced the
flow when I put a fan in to keep my workshop cool many years ago.
Maybe this is why many do not have it these days.
On my air bricks I used some small sized expanded ally mesh which appeared
to have been anodised. Yes it had to be cut and clamped in little frames,
but seems to have survived for many years..
I think originally it came from Wickes or however one spells it.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"AnthonyL" wrote in message
The insect mesh for the outlet of my ducted shower fan is broken (no -
I don't know how or why, the fan was broken too but I've just replaced
that with a 100m Xpelair - which came with a nice but unmeshed flapped
outlet).

The outlet vent is 5.25" square. Ideally I just want a similar sized,
black, piece of screen mesh which will let air out, keep insects out
and will not rot or corrode.

I must be searching for the wrong thing but I can find rolls of the
stuff or some vents with it inbuilt but not some sensibly priced/sized
pieces. Any pointers please?

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/05/16 21:58, Tim+ wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/05/16 21:24, soup wrote:

Every flapped outlet I have seen is close enough fitting to prevent
insects flying in. Perhaps they'd be able to crawl in but no houses are
hermetically sealed (something you'd need to keep ALL insects out).

My soffit vent has a mesh insert - something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S/141330179058

Can't really see the relevance of a soffit vent mesh to an extractor fan.
Very different functions!

Tim

Well, it stops things nesting there...

And how are they going to get past the flap? Mesh is absolutely fine for a
diffusion vent but will dramatically impair the function of a forced flow
fan if one tries to use a mesh small enough to keep insects out.

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30-May-16 9:24 PM, soup wrote:
Every flapped outlet I have seen is close enough fitting to prevent
insects flying in...

The standard for stopping flying insects getting into water supplies is
an aperture no larger than 57 microns. You must have seen some
particularly well fitting flapped outlets.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31-May-16 7:38 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was surprised how much putting this stuff over a fan outlet reduced the
flow when I put a fan in to keep my workshop cool many years ago...

The mesh I use on insect screens for water supplies has only 40% open
space, so the screen needs to be 2.5 times larger than the
cross-sectional area of the pipe it is fitted to in order to maintain
full flow rates.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 31/05/16 08:16, Tim+ wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/05/16 21:58, Tim+ wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/05/16 21:24, soup wrote:

Every flapped outlet I have seen is close enough fitting to prevent
insects flying in. Perhaps they'd be able to crawl in but no houses are
hermetically sealed (something you'd need to keep ALL insects out).

My soffit vent has a mesh insert - something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S/141330179058

Can't really see the relevance of a soffit vent mesh to an extractor fan.
Very different functions!

Tim

Well, it stops things nesting there...

And how are they going to get past the flap? Mesh is absolutely fine for a
diffusion vent but will dramatically impair the function of a forced flow
fan if one tries to use a mesh small enough to keep insects out.

Tim

What flap?

From the OPs first post: " which came with a nice but unmeshed flapped
outlet".

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 May 2016 07:48:51 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Monday, 30 May 2016 11:52:19 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
I must be searching for the wrong thing but I can find rolls of the
stuff or some vents with it inbuilt but not some sensibly priced/sized
pieces. Any pointers please?

Ebay is often a good place for small pieces of something.
Eg 1 x 1.2 m for =C2=A31.79 delivered
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191876530206
includes free velcro tape

Or stainless steel 9" x 9" for =C2=A35
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272251289332

I tried Ebay - honest - never came up with anything as handy as this -
thank you.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 May 2016 10:46:27 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
On 31/05/16 08:16, Tim+ wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/05/16 21:58, Tim+ wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/05/16 21:24, soup wrote:

Every flapped outlet I have seen is close enough fitting to prevent
insects flying in. Perhaps they'd be able to crawl in but no houses are
hermetically sealed (something you'd need to keep ALL insects out).

My soffit vent has a mesh insert - something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S/141330179058

Can't really see the relevance of a soffit vent mesh to an extractor fan.
Very different functions!

Tim

Well, it stops things nesting there...

And how are they going to get past the flap? Mesh is absolutely fine for a
diffusion vent but will dramatically impair the function of a forced flow
fan if one tries to use a mesh small enough to keep insects out.

Tim

What flap?

From the OPs first post: " which came with a nice but unmeshed flapped
outlet".

OP here - being lazy the existing outlet, already in situ, has the
broken mesh and no flaps and I was simply going to replace the mesh.
No idea how it comes to be broken.

The new fan comes with a flapped outlet which means I have to remove
the whole of the old outlet, not just the grill, and then no doubt
find some silly issue with where to fasten the new outlet.

A bit of nice mesh should take minutes, the latter, with my luck and
lack of skills, likely to take a whole morning.

Sorry for any confusion though if you read the OP it is as I said.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 May 2016 11:10:33 +0100, Nightjar
wrote:

On 31-May-16 7:38 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was surprised how much putting this stuff over a fan outlet reduced the
flow when I put a fan in to keep my workshop cool many years ago...

The mesh I use on insect screens for water supplies has only 40% open
space, so the screen needs to be 2.5 times larger than the
cross-sectional area of the pipe it is fitted to in order to maintain
full flow rates.

Good points thanks. How much do flaps impede the flow?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/16 11:46, Tim+ wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
On 31/05/16 08:16, Tim+ wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/05/16 21:58, Tim+ wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/05/16 21:24, soup wrote:

Every flapped outlet I have seen is close enough fitting to prevent
insects flying in. Perhaps they'd be able to crawl in but no houses are
hermetically sealed (something you'd need to keep ALL insects out).

My soffit vent has a mesh insert - something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S/141330179058

Can't really see the relevance of a soffit vent mesh to an extractor fan.
Very different functions!

Tim

Well, it stops things nesting there...

And how are they going to get past the flap? Mesh is absolutely fine for a
diffusion vent but will dramatically impair the function of a forced flow
fan if one tries to use a mesh small enough to keep insects out.

Tim

What flap?

From the OPs first post: " which came with a nice but unmeshed flapped
outlet".

Tim

I was referring to mine

As it's a downwards facing soffit vent, it's open all the time - and the
fan's an axial in line, so that doesn't have one either (never had a
problem with wind blowing in with that arrangement).

But point taken WRT to the OP...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2016 11:06, Nightjar wrote:
On 30-May-16 9:24 PM, soup wrote:
Every flapped outlet I have seen is close enough fitting to prevent
insects flying in...

The standard for stopping flying insects getting into water supplies is
an aperture no larger than 57 microns.

Flying? Doubt it.

Crawling? Pretty conceivable see my PP (But NOBODY lives in a completely
sealed house).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2016 12:33, AnthonyL wrote:
Good points thanks. How much do flaps impede the flow?

Depends.

When two successive house painters have covered the light plastic flaps
with masonry paint - quite a lot.

(I gave up. There's a flap on the fan too, so I fixed the outside ones
open at 45 degrees, enough to let air through but keep rain mostly out)

Andy

Screen mesh for gable louver vent Jon Danniken[_7_] Home Repair 11 December 12th 17 05:44 PM
Fitting stainless steel insect mesh into door Tim[_25_] UK diy 2 November 5th 09 10:20 AM
insect screen ? Rick Hughes UK diy 12 October 4th 09 05:11 PM
Where get insect screening mesh for windows? Adrian Brentnall UK diy 5 July 15th 05 03:57 PM
Insect Screen GroovyGran UK diy 7 June 19th 05 08:02 PM