Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Screen mesh for gable louver vent

Hi all, it is time for me to replace the screen mesh on my gable
louvers, as it is a tight mesh, and rather clogged. Looking at new
louver assemblies at the local Ace dealership, I notice that the screen
mesh is about 1/4" square. While this would provide more ventilation
than a tight mesh, my concern is that hornets might find their way into
the attic, as they enjoy building nests under the louvers.

I wouldn't suspect that they would last very long in a hot summer attic,
but I would generally prefer not interacting with them when I have work
to attend to up there.

So, is 1/4" mesh an appropriately small enough size for a gable louver
vent? What say you?

Thanks,

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 16:26:56 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

So, is 1/4" mesh an appropriately small enough size for a gable louver
vent? What say you?

1/8 Inch Mesh Hardware Cloth?

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/1-8-Inch-Mesh-Hardware-Cloth/

Seem bee keepers use it...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, is 1/4" mesh an appropriately small enough size for a gable louver

vent? What say you?

1/8 Inch Mesh Hardware Cloth?

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/1-8-Inch-Mesh-Hardware-Cloth/

Seem bee keepers use it...

I'd definitely use something small enough to keep wasps, bees, etc out, not
1/4".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/14/2014 05:55 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:49:58 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 16:26:56 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:

So, is 1/4" mesh an appropriately small enough size for a gable louver
vent? What say you?

1/8 Inch Mesh Hardware Cloth?
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/1-8-Inch-Mesh-Hardware-Cloth/

Seem bee keepers use it...

I'd definitely use something small enough to keep wasps, bees, etc out, not
1/4".

Alright, thanks guys, looks like I'll pick up some of the 1/8" mesh.
I'm still curious as to why the commercial gable louvers come with a
1/4" mesh though....

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 08:31:42 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 04/14/2014 05:55 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:49:58 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 16:26:56 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:

So, is 1/4" mesh an appropriately small enough size for a gable louver
vent? What say you?

1/8 Inch Mesh Hardware Cloth?
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/1-8-Inch-Mesh-Hardware-Cloth/

Seem bee keepers use it...

I'd definitely use something small enough to keep wasps, bees, etc out, not
1/4".

Alright, thanks guys, looks like I'll pick up some of the 1/8" mesh.
I'm still curious as to why the commercial gable louvers come with a
1/4" mesh though....

Jon

My guess is to keep the birds out, not the bees or wasp...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 04/14/2014 05:55 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:49:58 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 16:26:56 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:

So, is 1/4" mesh an appropriately small enough size for a gable louver
vent? What say you?

1/8 Inch Mesh Hardware Cloth?
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/1-8-Inch-Mesh-Hardware-Cloth/

Seem bee keepers use it...

I'd definitely use something small enough to keep wasps, bees, etc out, not
1/4".

Alright, thanks guys, looks like I'll pick up some of the 1/8" mesh.
I'm still curious as to why the commercial gable louvers come with a
1/4" mesh though....

They charge extra for hornets, so most people don't have any.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2014 7:26 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
Hi all, it is time for me to replace the screen mesh on my gable
louvers, as it is a tight mesh, and rather clogged. Looking at new
louver assemblies at the local Ace dealership, I notice that the screen
mesh is about 1/4" square. While this would provide more ventilation
than a tight mesh, my concern is that hornets might find their way into
the attic, as they enjoy building nests under the louvers.

I wouldn't suspect that they would last very long in a hot summer attic,
but I would generally prefer not interacting with them when I have work
to attend to up there.

So, is 1/4" mesh an appropriately small enough size for a gable louver
vent? What say you?

Thanks,

Jon

I've done it using the heaviest 1/4" galvanized mesh I could find for an
outside layer to discourage squirrels and larger beasts and then put
fiberglass window screen inside that where it is protected. The heavy mesh
was fastened solidly while the light screen was just stapled in with thin
strips of wood so that I could be replaced easily if it became clogged. It
held up for at least 15 years until my folks left the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Benign Bodger has a good solution if you can get to the smaller mesh screen fairly easily to inspect for clogging.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 14, 2014 11:31:42 AM UTC-4, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 04/14/2014 05:55 AM, trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:49:58 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 16:26:56 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:

So, is 1/4" mesh an appropriately small enough size for a gable louver

vent? What say you?

1/8 Inch Mesh Hardware Cloth?

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/1-8-Inch-Mesh-Hardware-Cloth/

Seem bee keepers use it...

I'd definitely use something small enough to keep wasps, bees, etc out, not

1/4".

Alright, thanks guys, looks like I'll pick up some of the 1/8" mesh.

I'm still curious as to why the commercial gable louvers come with a

1/4" mesh though....

Jon

IDK which ones you're looking at. I bought one at HD that had screen
in it that was similar size to window screens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Hi all, it is time for me to replace the screen mesh on my gable
louvers, as it is a tight mesh, and rather clogged. Looking at new
louver assemblies at the local Ace dealership, I notice that the screen
mesh is about 1/4" square. While this would provide more ventilation
than a tight mesh, my concern is that hornets might find their way into
the attic, as they enjoy building nests under the louvers.

I wouldn't suspect that they would last very long in a hot summer attic,
but I would generally prefer not interacting with them when I have work
to attend to up there.

So, is 1/4" mesh an appropriately small enough size for a gable louver
vent? What say you?

Thanks,

Jon

The replies are good but... Do you have a ridge vent along with soffit
vents? If so these are defeating the purpose. You can do a goggle search
to see what I am posting.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to BenignBodger, garm wrote:
Fiberglass window screen not recommended for fire-prone areas.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...nt-792355-.htm

soffit vent screen replacement Trina Home Repair 0 August 7th 07 03:05 PM
Gable vent question.... chrisexv6 Home Repair 9 April 13th 07 01:03 AM
Louver Screen door Ed Home Repair 0 November 10th 06 07:43 PM
Screen Mesh Terry Mayhugh Metalworking 8 February 8th 05 01:06 PM
gable vent (bats!) - Attic ventilation Rich Home Repair 9 December 15th 04 04:16 PM