Terry Mayhugh

Default Screen Mesh

Could someone tell me the definition of a screen's mesh? I am working on a
project that calls for #4 mesh screen. The local hardware has some screen
but it is unmarked and neither of us knows how to measure it.

Spehro Pefhany

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 02:54:31 GMT, the renowned "Terry Mayhugh"
wrote:

Could someone tell me the definition of a screen's mesh? I am working on a
project that calls for #4 mesh screen. The local hardware has some screen
but it is unmarked and neither of us knows how to measure it.

What these guys call 4 mesh has 4 squares to the inch. The material
and the size of the wires are other variables.

http://www.meshphoto.com/brass/004X004B047.html
http://www.meshphoto.com/copper/004X004C030.html
http://www.meshphoto.com/galvanized/004X004G035.html
http://www.meshphoto.com/welded/004X004W032.html

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Terry Mayhugh

Thanks!
wrote:

Could someone tell me the definition of a screen's mesh? I am working on

project that calls for #4 mesh screen. The local hardware has some screen
but it is unmarked and neither of us knows how to measure it.

What these guys call 4 mesh has 4 squares to the inch. The material
and the size of the wires are other variables.

http://www.meshphoto.com/brass/004X004B047.html
http://www.meshphoto.com/copper/004X004C030.html
http://www.meshphoto.com/galvanized/004X004G035.html
http://www.meshphoto.com/welded/004X004W032.html

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Info for manufacturers:

http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

http://www.speff.com

Gary Brady

Terry Mayhugh wrote:
Could someone tell me the definition of a screen's mesh? I am working on a
project that calls for #4 mesh screen. The local hardware has some screen
but it is unmarked and neither of us knows how to measure it.

Sounds like a riddle in the making.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Bugs

#4 mesh screen is nominally 1/4" square [4/in.]
The opening dimension is determined by the size of the wire it's made
from.
Brass screens for soil testing are made from 1-1/2" opening to 200
mesh. You can get the ASTM specifications from most any civil
engineering company.
On the other hand, ordinary 1/4" rabbit wire from the local hardware
store may be all you need.
Bugs

Grant Erwin

#4 mesh screen is nominally 1/4" square [4/in.]
The opening dimension is determined by the size of the wire it's made
from.
Brass screens for soil testing are made from 1-1/2" opening to 200
mesh. You can get the ASTM specifications from most any civil
engineering company.
On the other hand, ordinary 1/4" rabbit wire from the local hardware
store may be all you need.
Bugs

The specs for brass testing sieves are printed in the McMaster-Carr catalog. You
can get them online by viewing page 347. You can try clicking on:
http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCt...&CtlgPgNbr=347

GWE
Koz

Terry Mayhugh wrote:

Could someone tell me the definition of a screen's mesh? I am working on a
project that calls for #4 mesh screen. The local hardware has some screen
but it is unmarked and neither of us knows how to measure it.

Some people have crossed references here so I had to butt in:

4 mesh is not the same as 1/4" screen. 4 mesh is 4 full openings per
inch as measured between parallel wires, perpendicular to the wire
faces, center to center of wires. 1/4" opening is a CLEAR opening as
measured the same way except ignoring the wire.

On each, the gauge of the wire should be specified also. For example, a
1/4" opening fabricated from 14 gauge wire (.080") would actually be a
(nominal) 3 mesh.

It gets a little anal but you do have to measure between PARALLEL wires,
perpendicular to the wire face. Some meshes are parallelograms rather
than square so instead of measuring along the length or width relative
to the edges of the screen, you do need to specify wire to wire.

The "perpendicular to parallel wires" thing doesn't come up much in
hardware cloth type screens but becomes true all the time in chain link
material (like fencing). In case you haven't noticed, chain link fence
is NOT the same as when we oldsters were kids. One of the first cheats
was to change from 6 mesh to 2" opening. Back in the days when chain
link wire was a little heavier, this made some manufacturers appear
cheaper as the opening was just a fraction larger so there was less
material, fewer overall spirals to make on a large run, and fewer loops
in each spiral. Of course chain link fencing is now made with HUGE
openings and tiny wire to make it cheap as dirt.

It also comes up on security fencing where the openings are to be quite
small. You can't get a finger in 1/2" mesh but you might be able to in
1/2" opening

Koz (who rambled to kill a little time)

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Koz" wrote in message

Terry Mayhugh wrote:

Could someone tell me the definition of a screen's mesh? I am working on

project that calls for #4 mesh screen. The local hardware has some screen
but it is unmarked and neither of us knows how to measure it.

Some people have crossed references here so I had to butt in:

4 mesh is not the same as 1/4" screen. 4 mesh is 4 full openings per
inch as measured between parallel wires, perpendicular to the wire
faces, center to center of wires. 1/4" opening is a CLEAR opening as
measured the same way except ignoring the wire.

You made it way too complicated. 4-mesh means four wires per inch, PERIOD.
If you want 1/4" openings, you specify 1/4" SPACE CLOTH.

There certainly are other things that can complicate it, like different wire
sizes, predominance of metal vs. openings in fine meshes, etc.

But simply said, if the spec calls out "Mesh size", it means "wires per
inch". If it calls out OPENING size, you can do the math, or just order
"space cloth".

LLoyd