Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default slops in beer: update

Kath came round tonight; first time I've seen her since the 'incident'.
Apparently the pub had a long steel trough behind the bar, behind all
the pumps. In this trough were small plastic boxes, one to each pump
position, that looked very much like margarine tubs. It was one of
these, full to overflowing, that was poured into Brian's glass, which
she then topped up from the pump. How long had that beer been
accumulating in that plastic container?

Brian is a most extremely diffident individual and would have found it
difficult to speak out, but he did so, and then the pony-tailed manager
snarled at him for saying anything.

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2016 0:43, Bill Wright wrote:
Kath came round tonight; first time I've seen her since the 'incident'.
Apparently the pub had a long steel trough behind the bar, behind all
the pumps. In this trough were small plastic boxes, one to each pump
position, that looked very much like margarine tubs. It was one of
these, full to overflowing, that was poured into Brian's glass, which
she then topped up from the pump. How long had that beer been
accumulating in that plastic container?

Brian is a most extremely diffident individual and would have found it
difficult to speak out, but he did so, and then the pony-tailed manager
snarled at him for saying anything.

Name and shame the pub to the local environmental health officer. It is
the only way to deal with oiks like the manager.

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Phi Phi is offline

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Kath came round tonight; first time I've seen her since the 'incident'.
Apparently the pub had a long steel trough behind the bar, behind all the
pumps. In this trough were small plastic boxes, one to each pump position,
that looked very much like margarine tubs. It was one of these, full to
overflowing, that was poured into Brian's glass, which she then topped up
from the pump. How long had that beer been accumulating in that plastic
container?

Brian is a most extremely diffident individual and would have found it
difficult to speak out, but he did so, and then the pony-tailed manager
snarled at him for saying anything.

Bill

Sticking the nozzle in the beer whilst filling the glass is aslo frowned
upon by hygienists.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 12:42:52 AM UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Kath came round tonight; first time I've seen her since the 'incident'.
Apparently the pub had a long steel trough behind the bar, behind all
the pumps. In this trough were small plastic boxes, one to each pump
position, that looked very much like margarine tubs. It was one of
these, full to overflowing, that was poured into Brian's glass, which
she then topped up from the pump. How long had that beer been
accumulating in that plastic container?

Brian is a most extremely diffident individual and would have found it
difficult to speak out, but he did so, and then the pony-tailed manager
snarled at him for saying anything.

Bill

You lot up north must be really tight. I've never seen it happen down here on the south coast and I wouldn't accept it. We do pay a bit more for our beer I suppose.

Philip

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Phi" wrote in message

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Kath came round tonight; first time I've seen her since the 'incident'.
Apparently the pub had a long steel trough behind the bar, behind all the
pumps. In this trough were small plastic boxes, one to each pump
position, that looked very much like margarine tubs. It was one of these,
full to overflowing, that was poured into Brian's glass, which she then
topped up from the pump. How long had that beer been accumulating in that
plastic container?

Brian is a most extremely diffident individual and would have found it
difficult to speak out, but he did so, and then the pony-tailed manager
snarled at him for saying anything.

Bill

Sticking the nozzle in the beer whilst filling the glass is aslo frowned
upon by hygienists.

Only matters if non clean glasses are ever filled.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2016 07:34, Peter Crosland wrote:
On 29/05/2016 0:43, Bill Wright wrote:
Kath came round tonight; first time I've seen her since the 'incident'.
Apparently the pub had a long steel trough behind the bar, behind all
the pumps. In this trough were small plastic boxes, one to each pump
position, that looked very much like margarine tubs. It was one of
these, full to overflowing, that was poured into Brian's glass, which
she then topped up from the pump. How long had that beer been
accumulating in that plastic container?

Brian is a most extremely diffident individual and would have found it
difficult to speak out, but he did so, and then the pony-tailed manager
snarled at him for saying anything.

Name and shame the pub to the local environmental health officer. It is
the only way to deal with oiks like the manager.

She's sent a letter. I'll report on the outcome.

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

The letter will most likely be ignored. Who was it sent to?
Pouring slops into glasses has always been common practice.
Years ago I had a mate who moved down south :-( and bought a pub. He told me
that "everything" goes into the barrels of real ale, but it "tastes all
right".

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2016 19:50, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
He told me
that "everything" goes into the barrels of real ale, but it "tastes all
right".

That's real cider.

Enough acid & alcohol to kill anything.

Beer relies on the boiling of the wort to make it safe.

Andy
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 29/05/2016 19:50, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
He told me
that "everything" goes into the barrels of real ale, but it "tastes
all right".

That's real cider.

No, it was real ale.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2016 22:21, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 29/05/2016 19:50, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
He told me
that "everything" goes into the barrels of real ale, but it "tastes
all right".

That's real cider.

No, it was real ale.

One pub I worked in used to chuck the shorts slops into the beer barrels
too. The only drink that wasn't recycled was Pernod.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2016 19:50, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

She's sent a letter. I'll report on the outcome.

Bill

The letter will most likely be ignored. Who was it sent to?

Sheffield City Council
Environmental Health
5th Floor (North)
Howden House
1 Union Street
Sheffield
S1 2SH

Years ago I had a mate who moved down south :-( and bought a pub. He told me
that "everything" goes into the barrels of real ale, but it "tastes all
right".

The dirty pig.

Bill

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 29/05/2016 19:50, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
He told me
that "everything" goes into the barrels of real ale, but it "tastes
all right".

That's real cider.

No, it was real ale.

One pub I worked in used to chuck the shorts slops into the beer barrels
too. The only drink that wasn't recycled was Pernod.

"Shorts slops" ?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2016 19:50, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

The letter will most likely be ignored. Who was it sent to?
Pouring slops into glasses has always been common practice.
Years ago I had a mate who moved down south :-( and bought a pub. He told me
that "everything" goes into the barrels of real ale, but it "tastes all
right".

That's the reason that so many pubs are closing!

The landlord probably also recycled the contents of the urinals back
into the lager. Pubs that serve beer in good quality are likely to be
those that have a lot of custom while the pub 100 metres away are empty.

Customers no longer want to use establishments where the
landlord/manager believe that the public owe them a living. Why pay 4x
the supermarket price for a mediocre product in a pub where the
landlord/manager cannot care a toss?

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2016 09:04, Phi wrote:

Sticking the nozzle in the beer whilst filling the glass is aslo frowned
upon by hygienists.

Some methods of dispense fill the (pin) glass from the bottom by using a
large nozzel.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2016 08:04, alan_m wrote:
On 29/05/2016 09:04, Phi wrote:

Some methods of dispense fill the xxx(pin) __ (pint)__ glass from the bottom by using a
large nozzel.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Phi wrote

Sticking the nozzle in the beer whilst filling
the glass is aslo frowned upon by hygienists.

Some methods of dispense fill the (pin) glass
from the bottom by using a large nozzel.

That's fine when only clean glasses are used.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes
On 29/05/2016 19:50, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Years ago I had a mate who moved down south :-( and bought a pub. He told me
that "everything" goes into the barrels of real ale, but it "tastes all
right".

That's the reason that so many pubs are closing!

Problem is, how would the average punter know? I like a pint, but am
not sure that I could detect that a few slops had been poured into a
cask from which I was enjoying a pint.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 May 2016 08:43:28 +0100, News wrote:

In message , alan_m
writes
On 29/05/2016 19:50, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Years ago I had a mate who moved down south :-( and bought a pub. He told me
that "everything" goes into the barrels of real ale, but it "tastes all
right".

That's the reason that so many pubs are closing!

Problem is, how would the average punter know? I like a pint, but am
not sure that I could detect that a few slops had been poured into a
cask from which I was enjoying a pint.

My favourite pub is very cleanly managed. If the slop tray gets nearly full
it's emptied into the sink. Twice a week all of the glasses are removed from
the shelves, the plastic mesh covers put through the washing process and the
shelves disinfected. Bottles that are there for long - spirits and so on -
are dusted.
I've been show the cellar: it's old and a shabby but tidy and clean.
The manager is the owners' daughter and reckoned to be one of the best
beer-keepers in the trade. Gotta fancy a lass with an indoor shed like that!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2016 08:02, alan_m wrote:

Pubs that serve beer in good quality are likely to be
those that have a lot of custom while the pub 100 metres away are empty.

Customers no longer want to use establishments where the
landlord/manager believe that the public owe them a living. Why pay 4x
the supermarket price for a mediocre product in a pub where the
landlord/manager cannot care a toss?

I have a "local" (which isn't that local geographically) and a favourite
short-list of real ales that I enjoy.

I was in a different part of town one day and popped into a pub which
had one of my favourites for sale. I ordered a pint.

I took one mouthful and told the barmaid that it didn't taste good. She
called the manager. He poured himself a drop in the bottom of a glass
(No fixed measure pumps round here!) and tasted it. Then he told me it
was OK, and it always tastes like that. I told him that it doesn't
taste like that in other pubs. He took my glass and gave me my money
back when I refused to swap it for any of the others on the bar. If he
thought that one tasted OK I wasn't going to risk any of the others.

I noted it as a pub to avoid in future. A couple of months later the
pub closed down so it looks as though others took the same view. It has
now reopened under new management as a gastropub. It still sells beer,
but the primary business now is food.

Jim

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
My favourite pub is very cleanly managed. If the slop tray gets nearly
full it's emptied into the sink.

That is just throwing money away. The correct way is (or used to be) to
keep the slops and return to the brewery for a credit of the duty paid.

If it was once worth the effort of doing, don't see why not now.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
My favourite pub is very cleanly managed. If the slop tray gets nearly
full it's emptied into the sink.

That is just throwing money away. The correct way is (or used to be) to
keep the slops and return to the brewery for a credit of the duty paid.

If it was once worth the effort of doing, don't see why not now.

Possibly the system is more steam-lined with the pub keeping a record of
ullage and the tax man agreeing to an industry acceptable level of loss
that can be offset against profit/tax.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 May 2016 14:53:33 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
My favourite pub is very cleanly managed. If the slop tray gets nearly
full it's emptied into the sink.

That is just throwing money away. The correct way is (or used to be) to
keep the slops and return to the brewery for a credit of the duty paid.

If it was once worth the effort of doing, don't see why not now.

Very little gets there - no sprinklers unless asked for and then they have
to be found.
Some footy supporters, if going to London from W. Midlands for a teatime
game, will arrange to call in both ways. Then, after a /lot/ of pints there
might be half - one tray. That's perhaps a dozen times a year, so not worth
the effort. Same when Saints are at home, as rugby fans like the good stuff.
It's the sort of pub where fans from opposing football teams will shake
hands and buy each other pints.
Just been there for lunch and had some food as well :-)))
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
PeterC wrote:
My favourite pub is very cleanly managed. If the slop tray gets nearly
full it's emptied into the sink.

That is just throwing money away. The correct way is (or used to be) to
keep the slops and return to the brewery for a credit of the duty paid.

If it was once worth the effort of doing, don't see why not now.

I doubt the labour needed to do it like that is paid for by
credit of the duty paid. In fact its mad to have a system
where the slops are returned to the brewery for a credit.

don't take the beer Karl Townsend Metalworking 29 July 18th 11 09:22 AM
Workmen tipped cement? slops through fence rpgs rock dvds[_2_] UK diy 15 June 20th 09 05:36 PM
OT Beer David Lang UK diy 60 July 13th 05 08:36 PM
DIY Beer Andrew McKay UK diy 47 March 22nd 05 11:40 AM