Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default don't take the beer

You may have heard MN state gov'ment shut down. The pols just settled.
The reason, beer licences had expired and many brands were due to be
pulled off the shelves. Don't take our beer.

The settlement is disgusting. The ultimate kick the can down the road
solution. Borrow from here, there, everywhere and say now the budget
is balanced. Probably a prelude to what is going to happen in DC next
month. We're getting the government we deserve.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 07:07:43 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

You may have heard MN state gov'ment shut down. The pols just settled.
The reason, beer licences had expired and many brands were due to be
pulled off the shelves. Don't take our beer.

I won't. Where's Jesse Ventura when you need him?

The settlement is disgusting. The ultimate kick the can down the road
solution. Borrow from here, there, everywhere and say now the budget
is balanced. Probably a prelude to what is going to happen in DC next
month. We're getting the government we deserve.

I'm waiting to read in the newspapers how Gunner's Great Cull has
finally started. It's amazing how the American public has become so
complacent as to allow this to continue happening. Locke had it right.

See:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/reese.asp

From Survival Monkey:

Unintended Consequences, by John Ross 1996
ISBN: (978)1-888118-04-01

Link to FREE .pdf version:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/11793519/U...d-Consequences

Link to the .pdf on SM Downloads:
http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/downloads.php

On Amazon it sells for more than $100 used.

Brief synopsis by Brokor:
"Excellent combination of historical fiction and political thriller,
this work chronicles the deterioration of gun rights in the United
States by following a family through the 20th century. Included are
detailed fictionalized accounts of the Ruby Ridge massacre, the FBI
shootout in Miami in 1986, and the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising of World War
II. The book then moves to the present day, describing a rouge
government agency that attempts to criminalize legal gun owners, and
armed resistance breaks out.

Not for the faint of heart, this book is violently and sexually
graphic, and its message will be objectionable to most. But it
presents an interesting thought exercise--were the Founding Fathers
serious when they established the 2nd amendment as a means of citizens
defending themselves in the face of tyranny? And if so, what would
that look like in the 21st century?"

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AND ENTERTAINING READ.
__________________
"Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the
property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary
power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who
are thereupon absolved from any further obedience." - John Locke

Read mo
http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/...#ixzz1SB7aqbEx

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 15, 8:07*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
...Probably a prelude to what is going to happen in DC next
month. We're getting the government we deserve.
Karl

There's an alarming precedent for Midsummer midnight madness. On the
night of August 4, 1789 the newly elected and inexperienced French
National Assembly pulled a drunken all-nighter and changed all the
laws:
http://www.historywiz.com/nightofaug4.htm

Chaos ensued.

A bas le roi!!
jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
...Probably a prelude to what is going to happen in DC next
month. We're getting the government we deserve.
Karl

There's an alarming precedent for Midsummer midnight madness. On the
night of August 4, 1789 the newly elected and inexperienced French
National Assembly pulled a drunken all-nighter and changed all the
laws:
http://www.historywiz.com/nightofaug4.htm

Chaos ensued.

A bas le roi!!

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

--
Ed Huntress

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 15, 10:18*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Ed Huntress

The mindset that doomed New Orleans.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You may have heard MN state gov'ment shut down. The pols just settled.
The reason, beer licences had expired and many brands were due to be
pulled off the shelves. Don't take our beer.

I won't. Where's Jesse Ventura when you need him?

Jesse was a kook, but his two top ideas would have solved the problem.

1. term limits
2. unicameral legislature
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Jul 15, 10:18 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Ed Huntress

The mindset that doomed New Orleans.

But it sure was fun while it lasted -- which is all that I think we can ask
for.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 15, 12:35*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Jul 15, 10:18 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Ed Huntress

The mindset that doomed New Orleans.

But it sure was fun while it lasted -- which is all that I think we can ask
for.
Ed Huntress

I've never been closer than Shreveport, though my father almost became
a shrimp boat outfitter in Lake Charles.

My time in Heidelberg will have to substitute.
Gaudeamus igitur,
Iuvenes dum sumus.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/15/2011 7:07 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
You may have heard MN state gov'ment shut down. The pols just settled.
The reason, beer licences had expired and many brands were due to be
pulled off the shelves. Don't take our beer.

The settlement is disgusting. The ultimate kick the can down the road
solution. Borrow from here, there, everywhere and say now the budget
is balanced. Probably a prelude to what is going to happen in DC next
month. We're getting the government we deserve.

Karl

Miller sent in a check for their Mn state license, but the check was
more than required, so the licensing board sent it back. Before they
could process the new check, the state shut down, so Miller couldn't
sell product.

NBD, life is too short to drink cheap beer.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-15, David R. Birch wrote:
On 7/15/2011 7:07 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
You may have heard MN state gov'ment shut down. The pols just settled.
The reason, beer licences had expired and many brands were due to be
pulled off the shelves. Don't take our beer.

The settlement is disgusting. The ultimate kick the can down the road
solution. Borrow from here, there, everywhere and say now the budget
is balanced. Probably a prelude to what is going to happen in DC next
month. We're getting the government we deserve.

Karl

Miller sent in a check for their Mn state license, but the check was
more than required, so the licensing board sent it back. Before they
could process the new check, the state shut down, so Miller couldn't
sell product.

NBD, life is too short to drink cheap beer.

I cannot drink any beer besides Miller lite.

The more expensive is the beer, the more vile and disgusting the
taste, as far as I am concerned. I am going to stock up on Miller Lite
now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 15, 7:22*pm, Ignoramus15061 ignoramus15...@NOSPAM.
15061.invalid wrote:
I cannot drink any beer besides Miller lite.

The more expensive is the beer, the more vile and disgusting the
taste, as far as I am concerned. I am going to stock up on Miller Lite
now.
i-

Have you tried their Genuine Draft?

Karl Strauss Amber Lager is made from the old Andeker recipe. Draft
(but not bottled) Andeker in Milwaukee was the best beer I've tasted
outside of Muenchen.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

15061.invalid wrote:

I cannot drink any beer besides Miller lite.

The more expensive is the beer, the more vile and disgusting the
taste, as far as I am concerned. I am going to stock up on Miller Lite
now.

An old story is that Ballentine Beer wanted a new slogan. And decided
to have a contest to find the new slogan. After much searching they
decided on a slogan suggested by a young man. " Ballentine Beer is
like love in a canoe."

In my opinion Miller could use the same slogan for Miller Lite.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

15061.invalid wrote:

I cannot drink any beer besides Miller lite.

The more expensive is the beer, the more vile and disgusting the
taste, as far as I am concerned. I am going to stock up on Miller Lite
now.

An old story is that Ballentine Beer wanted a new slogan. And decided
to have a contest to find the new slogan. After much searching they
decided on a slogan suggested by a young man. " Ballentine Beer is
like love in a canoe."

In my opinion Miller could use the same slogan for Miller Lite.

Dan

I'd always heard that was for (spit) Coors Lite. "****in' near water",
right?

Garrett Fulton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 15, 9:04*pm, "Garrett Fulton" wrote:

I'd always heard that was for (spit) Coors Lite. *"****in' near water",
right?

Garrett Fulton

I knew someone would have heard the story.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/15/2011 6:22 PM, Ignoramus15061 wrote:

Miller sent in a check for their Mn state license, but the check was
more than required, so the licensing board sent it back. Before they
could process the new check, the state shut down, so Miller couldn't
sell product.

NBD, life is too short to drink cheap beer.

I cannot drink any beer besides Miller lite.

The more expensive is the beer, the more vile and disgusting the
taste, as far as I am concerned. I am going to stock up on Miller Lite
now.

To me, Miller Lite is like a bad beer with an ice cube allowed to melt
in it.

If that were all I could drink, I'd stop drinking beer.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/16/2011 4:36 AM, David R. Birch wrote:
On 7/15/2011 6:22 PM, Ignoramus15061 wrote:

Miller sent in a check for their Mn state license, but the check was
more than required, so the licensing board sent it back. Before they
could process the new check, the state shut down, so Miller couldn't
sell product.

NBD, life is too short to drink cheap beer.

I cannot drink any beer besides Miller lite.

The more expensive is the beer, the more vile and disgusting the
taste, as far as I am concerned. I am going to stock up on Miller Lite
now.

To me, Miller Lite is like a bad beer with an ice cube allowed to melt
in it.

If that were all I could drink, I'd stop drinking beer.

David

this is very refreshing - people arguing about beer rather than
politics. very much an improvement

--
www.wbnoble.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus15061" wrote in message
On 2011-07-15, David R. Birch wrote:
[...]

Although I appreciate the beer you gave me when I was out there, if I see
you next month when I head for Aurora, I'm bringing a sixpack of Beck's. g
Or maybe some Dinkel Acker. That will make your tongue roll up like a
windowshade and your ears will flap like a hummingbird's wings.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The more expensive is the beer, the more vile and disgusting the
taste, as far as I am concerned. I am going to stock up on Miller Lite
now.

Although I appreciate the beer you gave me when I was out there, if I see
you next month when I head for Aurora, I'm bringing a sixpack of Beck's.g
Or maybe some Dinkel Acker. That will make your tongue roll up like a
windowshade and your ears will flap like a hummingbird's wings.

one of my favorites is "old dead guy" - and Piraat
--
www.wbnoble.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
The more expensive is the beer, the more vile and disgusting the
taste, as far as I am concerned. I am going to stock up on Miller Lite
now.

Although I appreciate the beer you gave me when I was out there, if I see
you next month when I head for Aurora, I'm bringing a sixpack of
Beck's.g
Or maybe some Dinkel Acker. That will make your tongue roll up like a
windowshade and your ears will flap like a hummingbird's wings.

one of my favorites is "old dead guy" - and Piraat
--
www.wbnoble.com

I know....I should bring along some of New Jersey's finest, River Horse
Hop-A-Lot-Amus. Brewed on the banks of the Delaware River. g

http://www.riverhorse.com/

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 16, 12:16*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Or maybe some Dinkel Acker. That will make your tongue roll up like a
windowshade and your ears will flap like a hummingbird's wings.
Ed Huntress-

I remember it as good but not exceptional. At the Oktoberfest I
usually went to the Spaten tent.

One year they sent me there with three soldiers who were being
rewarded for something, officially with a week to deliver a
typewriter. I was one of the few people who spoke German and could
drive, or function at all off the Army base. We sat down across from
four girls and I started chatting happily with the one opposite me,
then noticed the other three guys and girls all sitting quietly and
frowning. Turns out only the one I was talking to spoke English. We
could NOT get a conversation going among the others, or get them to
join the dancing and singing, Freut Euch des Lebens! What a waste!
There's almost no place I'd rather be, yet they had a miserable time
and wanted to go home early.

The girl I talked to wondered if Americans could tune into the
collective mentality of Germans having fun. Even when drunk and giggly
they all cheered, sang, stood up and swayed etc in perfect unison.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Jul 16, 12:16 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Or maybe some Dinkel Acker. That will make your tongue roll up like a
windowshade and your ears will flap like a hummingbird's wings.
Ed Huntress-

I remember it as good but not exceptional. At the Oktoberfest I
usually went to the Spaten tent.

By American standards, it is extremely bitter. I like it, though.

[...]

'Sounds like fun.

Speaking of having fun, the night I arrived in Lausanne, Switzerland, at
around midnight (I was a student there for a year), I expected, from all I'd
heard, that the town would be quiet and basically closed down.

Instead, there were hundreds of half-drunk people snake-dancing in the
streets, music was blaring, and the stores were open. It turns out I arrived
on the night of the annual Chebrix wine festival, one of the few nights the
Swiss really cut loose.

I though I was in for some wild parties, but that was the last one.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-16, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Jul 16, 12:16 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Or maybe some Dinkel Acker. That will make your tongue roll up like a
windowshade and your ears will flap like a hummingbird's wings.
Ed Huntress-

I remember it as good but not exceptional. At the Oktoberfest I
usually went to the Spaten tent.

By American standards, it is extremely bitter. I like it, though.

Then I do not like it.

I was in Germany and succumbed to German beer ads on billboards, and
found their beer to somehow be great. The one I tried, was not too
bitter, and tasted very good.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-16, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Jul 16, 12:16 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Or maybe some Dinkel Acker. That will make your tongue roll up like a
windowshade and your ears will flap like a hummingbird's wings.
Ed Huntress-

I remember it as good but not exceptional. At the Oktoberfest I
usually went to the Spaten tent.

By American standards, it is extremely bitter. I like it, though.

Then I do not like it.

Based on what you've said, I was pretty sure you would not. I meant it as a
joke. I'm not sure they're even importing Dinkel Acker anymore. I haven't
had it for a few years.

You might like River Horse, though. It's a little like Sam Adams, only
sweeter. It has plenty of flavor but it's not bitter.

I was in Germany and succumbed to German beer ads on billboards, and
found their beer to somehow be great. The one I tried, was not too
bitter, and tasted very good.

They have a pretty wide range. The pilseners I've had around Fürth are some
of the best beers I've ever had.

--
Ed Huntress

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-15, David R. Birch wrote:
[...]

Been spending 2/3 of my time at a job in eastern Germany for the last 3 1/2
yrs. At the Leipzig/Halle Flughafen, (airport).
3 beers you guys need to try if you get over there are Leikeim, Gessner, and
the lower priced one all the the east Germans drink, Ur-Krostitzer.
It's all I can do to drink beer back in here in the US anymore. Hate to
come across as a beer snob, but I have seen the light. The Germans have
beer and sausage figured out. Big Time.
Just my .02, but I'm right.

Garrett Fulton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-15, David R. Birch wrote:
[...]

I agree. I carry my Beck's out of the store in a brown paper bag. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
[...]

American pilsener isn't beer IMO.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 02:07:31 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Did you know 100 years ago, they turned you into an alcoholic if you
got diabetis? Wiskey has no carbs at all and it has calories.

Yes. Until the late 1920s, the standard diet was dry red wine and burned
toast. No kidding.

Then you lived for a little while, fading away to nothing, but with one heck
of a jag on.

That actually doesn't sound all bad.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Did you know 100 years ago, they turned you into an alcoholic if you
got diabetis? Wiskey has no carbs at all and it has calories.

Yes. Until the late 1920s, the standard diet was dry red wine and burned
toast. No kidding.

Then you lived for a little while, fading away to nothing, but with one
heck
of a jag on.

That actually doesn't sound all bad.

I guess there are worse ways to go, but having once had a blood glucose
level of 700, nearly blind and slipping into a coma, it wouldn't be my first
choice, either.

--
Ed Huntress

O/T: About Beer Luigi Zanasi[_3_] Woodworking 6 April 2nd 11 05:35 PM
Beer Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 14 August 6th 10 10:47 AM
Beer. ian field[_2_] Electronic Schematics 2 December 20th 09 05:49 PM
OT Beer David Lang UK diy 60 July 13th 05 08:36 PM