Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Workmen tipped cement? slops through fence

Big puddle of white stuff on patio, next to fence. Workmen next door
appeared to have emptied their slops through fence on to our patio.
Tried white spirit, soap water, white stain goes away but when the
area has dried, it "reappears". Not 100% sure what it is, thought at
first was paint, but could be something worse, like a type of cement.
Any idea how to shift it please? (Did think of pressure washer, but
we'd have to hire one.) Neighbours aren't around to discuss prob, as
building seems to be empty - prolly to be put up for let sometime
soon?

TIA, Rob.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rpgs rock dvds writes:
Big puddle of white stuff on patio, next to fence. Workmen next door
appeared to have emptied their slops through fence on to our patio.
Tried white spirit, soap water, white stain goes away but when the
area has dried, it "reappears". Not 100% sure what it is, thought at
first was paint, but could be something worse, like a type of cement.
Any idea how to shift it please? (Did think of pressure washer, but
we'd have to hire one.) Neighbours aren't around to discuss prob, as
building seems to be empty - prolly to be put up for let sometime
soon?

If it's cement, you want brick acid (hydrochloric acid) to dissolve it.
Actually, you could try any medium strength acid on a small bit just
to confirm if that's going to work -- I have used kettle descaler.
Wet it with the acid, and leave it to work on the cement for a bit,
and then see if it will brush off. Wear appropriate protection.
Could be plaster (better fits your description), and that will also
come off with brick acid (even more easily than cement).

Brick acid dissolves (or marks) other things too, such as pointing,
and maybe even some stone, so be careful.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 June, 14:31, rpgs rock dvds wrote:
Big puddle of white stuff on patio, next to fence. *Workmen next door
appeared to have emptied their slops through fence on to our patio.

Depends what it is. If it's cement-based rather than a paint resin,
then "brick acid" (hydrochloric) will shift it, but will also attack
the slabs so you need to be able to rinse it speedily.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 June, 14:31, rpgs rock dvds wrote:
Big puddle of white stuff on patio, next to fence. snip

Thanks a lot for replies. Yes, it could be plaster! I'll pop down to
B&Q, and see if they've got some brick acid.
Thanks chaps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rpgs rock dvds wrote:
Big puddle of white stuff on patio, next to fence. Workmen next door
appeared to have emptied their slops through fence on to our patio.
Tried white spirit, soap water, white stain goes away but when the
area has dried, it "reappears". Not 100% sure what it is, thought at
first was paint, but could be something worse, like a type of cement.
Any idea how to shift it please? (Did think of pressure washer, but
we'd have to hire one.) Neighbours aren't around to discuss prob, as
building seems to be empty - prolly to be put up for let sometime
soon?

TIA, Rob.

If you go down the DIY route you may have difficulty later in proving
whatv the cause was if more work is needed to repair the damage and you
need to seek compensation. Politely ask the contractors to repair the
damage thay have caused. If they use brick acid and damage the slabs
then it will be their responsibility to replace the slabs. If you use
brick acid and damage the slabs thene there will be a (heated) debate on
responsibility. Whatever happens take plenty of photographs,
preferrably digital as they have dates and times attached.

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rpgs rock dvds wrote:
On 16 June, 14:31, rpgs rock dvds wrote:
Big puddle of white stuff on patio, next to fence. snip

Thanks a lot for replies. Yes, it could be plaster! I'll pop down to
B&Q, and see if they've got some brick acid.

You will probably find patio cleaner there - same idea, but less
concentrated.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2009 17:21 Malcolm wrote:

Whatever happens take plenty of photographs,
preferrably digital as they have dates and times attached.

But the date and time on the camera can be set to anything the
photographer wants them to be and so can't be relied upon...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:21:31 +0100, F wrote:

On 16/06/2009 17:21 Malcolm wrote:

Whatever happens take plenty of photographs,
preferrably digital as they have dates and times attached.

But the date and time on the camera can be set to anything the
photographer wants them to be and so can't be relied upon...

Quite true. Although I think that there are now a few that either on their
own or with an add on also record location using GPS, these may record UTC
from the GPS satellites?

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:21:31 +0100, F wrote:

On 16/06/2009 17:21 Malcolm wrote:

Whatever happens take plenty of photographs,
preferrably digital as they have dates and times attached.

But the date and time on the camera can be set to anything the
photographer wants them to be and so can't be relied upon...

Quite true. Although I think that there are now a few that either on their
own or with an add on also record location using GPS, these may record UTC
from the GPS satellites?

SteveW

The point of my original reply was that the OP should think twice before
doing anything which would predjdice a subsequent claim, while gathering
as much evidence as possible
Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:17:00 +0100, Malcolm wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:21:31 +0100, F wrote:

On 16/06/2009 17:21 Malcolm wrote:

Whatever happens take plenty of photographs,
preferrably digital as they have dates and times attached.
But the date and time on the camera can be set to anything the
photographer wants them to be and so can't be relied upon...

Quite true. Although I think that there are now a few that either on their
own or with an add on also record location using GPS, these may record UTC
from the GPS satellites?

SteveW

The point of my original reply was that the OP should think twice before
doing anything which would predjdice a subsequent claim, while gathering
as much evidence as possible
Malcolm

And that I quite agree with. Also, why should the OP have to do anything
anyway? If the problem's been caused by someone else, then it's up to them
to put it right.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
rpgs rock dvds writes
Big puddle of white stuff on patio, next to fence. Workmen next door
appeared to have emptied their slops through fence on to our patio.
Tried white spirit, soap water, white stain goes away but when the
area has dried, it "reappears". Not 100% sure what it is, thought at
first was paint, but could be something worse, like a type of cement.
Any idea how to shift it please? (Did think of pressure washer, but
we'd have to hire one.) Neighbours aren't around to discuss prob, as
building seems to be empty - prolly to be put up for let sometime
soon?

Isn't it your neighbour's problem to rectify ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
AA AA is offline

On 16 June, 19:40, Steve Walker wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:21:31 +0100, F wrote:
On 16/06/2009 17:21 Malcolm wrote:

Whatever happens take plenty of photographs,
preferrably digital as they have dates and times attached.

But the date and time on the camera can be set to anything the
photographer wants them to be and so can't be relied upon...

Quite true. Although I think that there are now a few that either on their
own or with an add on also record location using GPS, these may record UTC
from the GPS satellites?

Still makes no difference as the date/time is recorded in the exif
header information for jpegs, easily editable with exif utilities.
Likewise file timestamps prove nothing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AA wrote:
On 16 June, 19:40, Steve Walker wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:21:31 +0100, F wrote:
On 16/06/2009 17:21 Malcolm wrote:
Whatever happens take plenty of photographs,
preferrably digital as they have dates and times attached.
But the date and time on the camera can be set to anything the
photographer wants them to be and so can't be relied upon...

Quite true. Although I think that there are now a few that either on their
own or with an add on also record location using GPS, these may record UTC
from the GPS satellites?

Still makes no difference as the date/time is recorded in the exif
header information for jpegs, easily editable with exif utilities.
Likewise file timestamps prove nothing.

stick a newspaper in the photo..that at least shows it wasn't taken
BEFORE the date in question..

Although photoshop is a magic thing..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AA wrote:
On 16 June, 19:40, Steve Walker wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:21:31 +0100, F wrote:
On 16/06/2009 17:21 Malcolm wrote:
Whatever happens take plenty of photographs,
preferrably digital as they have dates and times attached.
But the date and time on the camera can be set to anything the
photographer wants them to be and so can't be relied upon...

Quite true. Although I think that there are now a few that either on their
own or with an add on also record location using GPS, these may record UTC
from the GPS satellites?

Still makes no difference as the date/time is recorded in the exif
header information for jpegs, easily editable with exif utilities.
Likewise file timestamps prove nothing.

Upload the photo to Google apps or send it to a Google mail address and
leave it there.

Google will record a date/time stamp on any uploads and edits. Somewhere
internally a massive audit trail is being recorded.

Something similar could be done with other hosting sites.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 June, 14:31, rpgs rock dvds wrote:
Big puddle of white stuff on patio snip from O.P.

Update - spotted workman next door, told him about problem, he came
round with bucket of light blue liquid (not sure what this solution
was) and he brushed liquid over patio slabs with an "outside brush".
After area dried out, most of discolouration has gone - prolly all go
if I give it another clean myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
rpgs rock dvds wrote:
Update - spotted workman next door, told him about problem, he came
round with bucket of light blue liquid (not sure what this solution
was) and he brushed liquid over patio slabs with an "outside brush".
After area dried out, most of discolouration has gone - prolly all go
if I give it another clean myself.

Alternatively the workman can come back on Monday with another bucketful
of light blue liquid and finish the job properly.

.... which of course means if the slabs dissolve in the next rain shower
it's still their problem...

Andy

Fat builders or workmen George UK diy 19 May 15th 08 08:25 PM
Weed Wacker: using it tipped 90 degrees hobbes Home Repair 8 October 21st 07 12:53 PM
How do I know if my fence posts are set in cement? mm Home Repair 8 October 10th 06 01:42 AM
fence posts, quick dry cement & rainy weather webmz Home Repair 11 August 23rd 06 03:02 PM
carbide tipped boring bars desperado Metalworking 8 May 1st 06 04:45 AM