Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weed Wacker: using it tipped 90 degrees

Hi,

I was wondering if any one knows if it is OK / not OK to use a weed
wacker on it's side. Usuall a weed wacker is used with the head level
with the ground. However I was trying to trim so grass edges which had
run onto my garden path. So I tipped the week wacker onto it's side to
trim that grass. It seemed to work OK. What are the issues if any of
doing this? For example will the oil not circulate properly?

best, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 6:34 am, hobbes wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if any one knows if it is OK / not OK to use a weed
wacker on it's side. Usuall a weed wacker is used with the head level
with the ground. However I was trying to trim so grass edges which had
run onto my garden path. So I tipped the week wacker onto it's side to
trim that grass. It seemed to work OK. What are the issues if any of
doing this? For example will the oil not circulate properly?

best, Mike.

Unless your manual (or a call to Customer Support) tells you
differently, it's fine to use a gas string trimmer as an edger.

Acording to Roger Cook from Ask this Old House at:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/askt...455145,00.html

"Once or twice a month, run down the edge with a string trimmer turned
vertical and trim off any shaggy ends. Be sure to wear safety glasses
and ear protection."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 03:34:19 -0700, hobbes
wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if any one knows if it is OK / not OK to use a weed
wacker on it's side. Usuall a weed wacker is used with the head level
with the ground. However I was trying to trim so grass edges which had
run onto my garden path. So I tipped the week wacker onto it's side to
trim that grass. It seemed to work OK. What are the issues if any of
doing this? For example will the oil not circulate properly?

best, Mike.

I use the weedeater tipped on its side to trim the edge of the lawn.
With a steady hand and walking slowing backwards, it produces a very
nice trim. I have been doing this to the same weedeater since 1992.
Two-stroke engines use oil mixed into the gasoline. If yours is a
4-stroke (which I doubt) you may have issues.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if any one knows if it is OK / not OK to use a weed
wacker on it's side. Usuall a weed wacker is used with the head level
with the ground. However I was trying to trim so grass edges which had
run onto my garden path. So I tipped the week wacker onto it's side to
trim that grass. It seemed to work OK. What are the issues if any of
doing this? For example will the oil not circulate properly?

best, Mike.

I use the weedeater tipped on its side to trim the edge of the lawn.
With a steady hand and walking slowing backwards, it produces a very
nice trim. I have been doing this to the same weedeater since 1992.
Two-stroke engines use oil mixed into the gasoline. If yours is a
4-stroke (which I doubt) you may have issues.

That's exactly right, Phisherman. If the OP is mixing oil in his gas he's
OK for turning the unit on its side. Hey, Hobbes, how 'bout bringing it
over to my house and edge my sidewalk for me. I hate that job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hobbes" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I was wondering if any one knows if it is OK / not OK to use a weed
wacker on it's side. Usuall a weed wacker is used with the head level
with the ground. However I was trying to trim so grass edges which had
run onto my garden path. So I tipped the week wacker onto it's side to
trim that grass. It seemed to work OK. What are the issues if any of
doing this? For example will the oil not circulate properly?

best, Mike.

I use mine at 90 all the time. But for edging, I use it straight on from
the side. Flat on the plane of the sidewalk. When I have cut in to the
edge of the grass, I lift up and push. The finished work is a rounded edge
of grass instead of the butch hair cut look of the straight down cut.

HTH. Your wacker is made to work in pretty much any position, tho.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 15, 11:06 am, "SteveB" wrote:
"hobbes" wrote in message

[...]

Should not be a problem at all.
And the pickup inside the fuel tank of a 2-stroke has about 3" of hose
with a filter on it.
This enables the hose to scoop fuel regardless of what position the
machine is in.

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"hobbes" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I was wondering if any one knows if it is OK / not OK to use a weed
wacker on it's side. Usuall a weed wacker is used with the head level
with the ground. However I was trying to trim so grass edges which had
run onto my garden path. So I tipped the week wacker onto it's side to
trim that grass. It seemed to work OK. What are the issues if any of
doing this? For example will the oil not circulate properly?

best, Mike.

I use mine at 90 all the time. But for edging, I use it straight on from
the side. Flat on the plane of the sidewalk. When I have cut in to the
edge of the grass, I lift up and push. The finished work is a rounded edge
of grass instead of the butch hair cut look of the straight down cut.

HTH. Your wacker is made to work in pretty much any position, tho.

On my corded electric (a ten-buck garage sale Toro, model unknown), I
find that using it in upright position makes the string bust off at the
exit hole on the reel a lot easier. This thing is a real PITA that way-
I have to stop and rethread 3-4 times every time I use it, anyway. Good
thing I only bother to trim 3-4 times a mowing season.

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was wondering if any one knows if it is OK / not OK to use a weed
wacker on it's side.

I use mine on the side with a saw or cross blade when going thru thick
briers. I swing it fast and high to start so it doesn't clog and it
chews everything into small pieces

Weed Wacker MLD Home Repair 11 July 21st 06 11:01 PM
weed wacker Sacramento Dave Home Repair 5 May 13th 06 02:13 PM
Bump-Feed On Weed Wacker Questions Robert11 Home Repair 11 July 7th 05 08:14 AM
Weed Wacker/trimmer Questions Robert11 Home Repair 1 June 11th 05 06:42 PM
Weed Wacker Grass Trimmers ? Robert11 Home Ownership 0 June 11th 05 06:34 PM