Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bullding a BBQ, how much cement and sand to buy?

I'm building a double-BBQ of the standard size 670mm wide (but two of them side-by-side) with a little extra bit on the end for a paving slab to make a table. It's 17 whole bricks per course and 11 or 12 courses high. I have 210 bricks.

Can someone tell me how much cement and sand I need to buy?

It's building sand to get, right? Ratio of 1 cement to 6 sand. I have a mixer ready to use, plasticiser and brick ties.

Thanks
Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/16 17:25, Jon Parker wrote:
I'm building a double-BBQ of the standard size 670mm wide (but two of them side-by-side) with a little extra bit on the end for a paving slab to make a table. It's 17 whole bricks per course and 11 or 12 courses high. I have 210 bricks.

Can someone tell me how much cement and sand I need to buy?

It's building sand to get, right?

Sharp sand is OK too.

I rather like building with sharp sand.

Ratio of 1 cement to 6 sand.

I've used stronger mixes than that for stuff that can get kicked and
bashed about. you wont be wrong to use 3:1

Remember that the sand fills the gaps between the bricks, and the cement
fills the gaps between the sand. If you don't fill them completely the
strength is low and the porosity high, and that means frost damage is easy.

I have a mixer ready to use, plasticiser and brick ties.

THats all fuine then.

But my advice is double up on te cement. For a BBQ one bag of cement is
prolly enough, and 3 bags of sand of the same size.

Thanks
Jon

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Jon Parker Wrote in message:
I'm building a double-BBQ of the standard size 670mm wide (but two of them side-by-side) with a little extra bit on the end for a paving slab to make a table. It's 17 whole bricks per course and 11 or 12 courses high. I have 210 bricks.

Can someone tell me how much cement and sand I need to buy?

It's building sand to get, right? Ratio of 1 cement to 6 sand. I have a mixer ready to use, plasticiser and brick ties.

Thanks
Jon

Didn't you have any left over from your patio edgings?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Parker wrote:
I'm building a double-BBQ of the standard size 670mm wide (but two of
them side-by-side) with a little extra bit on the end for a paving
slab to make a table. It's 17 whole bricks per course and 11 or 12
courses high. I have 210 bricks.

Can someone tell me how much cement and sand I need to buy?

It's building sand to get, right? Ratio of 1 cement to 6 sand. I have
a mixer ready to use, plasticiser and brick ties.

Thanks
Jon

6 sand and 2 cement - you'll need some extra to bed the paving slabs etc on
after it's built.

Don't use 6:1 ratio - the heat will destroy such a weak mix in short time,
mix it 3:1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/17/2016 7:15 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 17/05/16 17:25, Jon Parker wrote:

But my advice is double up on te cement. For a BBQ one bag of cement is
prolly enough, and 3 bags of sand of the same size.

Sounds about right to me too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Jon Parker wrote:

I'm building a double-BBQ of the standard size 670mm wide (but two of
them side-by-side) with a little extra bit on the end for a paving
slab to make a table. It's 17 whole bricks per course and 11 or 12
courses high. I have 210 bricks.

Can someone tell me how much cement and sand I need to buy?

It's building sand to get, right? Ratio of 1 cement to 6 sand. I have
a mixer ready to use, plasticiser and brick ties.

Thanks
Jon

6 sand and 2 cement - you'll need some extra to bed the paving slabs etc on
after it's built.

Don't use 6:1 ratio - the heat will destroy such a weak mix in short time,
mix it 3:1

I'd use a 1,1,3 mix with lime.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/16 10:15, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2016 09:59:49 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Phil L wrote:
Jon Parker wrote:

I'm building a double-BBQ of the standard size 670mm wide (but two of
them side-by-side) with a little extra bit on the end for a paving
slab to make a table. It's 17 whole bricks per course and 11 or 12
courses high. I have 210 bricks.

Can someone tell me how much cement and sand I need to buy?

It's building sand to get, right? Ratio of 1 cement to 6 sand. I have
a mixer ready to use, plasticiser and brick ties.

Thanks
Jon

6 sand and 2 cement - you'll need some extra to bed the paving slabs etc on
after it's built.

Don't use 6:1 ratio - the heat will destroy such a weak mix in short time,
mix it 3:1

I'd use a 1,1,3 mix with lime.

For my education and improvement, why? What benefit does adding one
part lime to the mix confer, and is it significant for a BBQ?

you get a mixture that is slightly less prone to cracking, and looks
nicer. In fact most of the brickwork at my house that is visible is done
that way with WHITE cement, to 'look' like lime mortar..

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 May 2016 17:25:38 UTC+1, Jon Parker wrote:

I'm building a double-BBQ of the standard size 670mm wide (but two of them side-by-side) with a little extra bit on the end for a paving slab to make a table. It's 17 whole bricks per course and 11 or 12 courses high. I have 210 bricks.

Can someone tell me how much cement and sand I need to buy?

It's building sand to get, right? Ratio of 1 cement to 6 sand. I have a mixer ready to use, plasticiser and brick ties.

Thanks
Jon

Each brick wants 9"+3" x 4" of mortar bed, say half inch thick. That's 24 cubic inches or 390cc. Get at least that much sand plus 1/3 as much cement - and ideally the same volume building lime as the cement. Lime is less dense.

NT

sand/cement prices stuart noble UK diy 16 October 2nd 13 08:50 PM
Rendering with sand cement DIYer[_2_] UK diy 24 November 15th 11 02:42 PM
Sand & Cement Martin[_9_] UK diy 5 January 29th 09 11:04 AM
Block paving question. Sand or sand/cement for the gaps? Tim Downie UK diy 17 June 6th 07 08:28 PM
Sand or Cement? Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk UK diy 0 March 27th 05 07:34 PM