Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default lending tools

Most people are more careful then me. I just broke the gearbox of my neighbour's electric saw.

On Mon, 09 May 2016 08:25:59 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Lending anything is risky, as not everyone is as careful as you might be.
Brian

--
If you were amazed to discover that cell phones have uses other than setting off roadside bombs, you may be a Muslim.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Poll: lending tools

On Sun, 08 May 2016 23:52:27 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Sun, 08 May 2016 22:47:52 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message
news On Sun, 08 May 2016 22:34:07 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message
news On Sun, 08 May 2016 17:29:22 +0100, F Murtz
wrote:

Richard wrote:
"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.
I do do it but it takes time to get back,but it does not matter I get
it
back if I need it.

Odd, I don't know anyone round here who wouldn't
return something immediately they've finished,

Least half of those that borrow stuff can take a while to return it.

With stuff I'm not actually using, I often do say that there is
no rush to return it, whenever that is convenient for them etc.

That is inviting them to forget.

I don't see them forget very often at all.

and get very apologetic if they forget and give it back the next day.

Can't say I have ever had that.

Some people are overly polite.

True, but none of those that borrow stuff from me
are like that, maybe they are too polite to ask.

I used to have one of my Italian neighbours that used
to borrow garden tools quite a bit. Once the ****ing
great Alsatian grew up a bit, you could see the neighbour
almost turn and run when the dog started barking at him
when he knocked on the patio door with the dog inside
the house. He stopped coming after a while presumably
because of the dog.

I fail to see why people are scared of dogs.

Yeah, it's a completely irrational fear most of the time.

But most don't have a clue about how dogs operate
and so don't realise what is safe and what isnt.

I've had two dogs attempt to bite me. One was a stupid little thing I knew couldn't hurt me, I kicked it into the flowerbed when it bit my ankle. The other was a huge thing which looked friendly and I tried to stroke it. It tried to grab my hand so I simply moved my hand out of the way.

--
"Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
I've had two dogs attempt to bite me. One was a stupid little thing I
knew couldn't hurt me, I kicked it into the flowerbed when it bit my
ankle. The other was a huge thing which looked friendly and I tried to
stroke it. It tried to grab my hand so I simply moved my hand out of the
way.

Pity they didn't finish the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Macaw wrote
T i m wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Lending anything is risky, as not everyone is as careful as you might
be.

Yup, like my Dad used to say, 'Never a lender or borrower be' (and I
don't think he meant the 'little people') and if you did ever lend
anything, do so on the assumption you would never get it back or back in
the same condition.

That saying is for money.

Yes.

Now, with some tools that might not matter as they could be old, or
'spares' / whatever, but I bet most of us have some tool they simply
wouldn't lend out for some reason (be it sentimental, irreplaceable,
expensive or somesuch)?

But there are people I will lend stuff to on the basis I know they
will either repair or replace and without me having to ask them to.

I assume everyone will do that.

I don't.

If they don't, they aren't worth knowing in the future.

That's mad, particularly with the less competant people.

It's like the bikers thing re lending bikes ... 'you drop it you buy it'.
;-)

I have actually gone out and bought new tools (an angle grinder was
the latest case) to lend to a neighbour because I didn't want to risk
getting my good grinders lost or damaged. If it does come back and is
still ok then I get another angle grinder and will have done a neighbour
a favour, win win (as you can't have too many angle grinders eh)?

And if it comes back broken, you replace it under warranty.

Not always possible with the worst of the misuse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Macaw wrote
Tim Lamb wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Lending anything is risky, as not everyone is as careful as you might
be.

I was standing behind a punter returning a heavy set of hub pullers. He
pocketed his deposit refund and left. The counter man casually threw the
tool across the desk and we both watched as one of the claws fell off
having been temporarily re-attached.

Then they were clearly faulty.

Not necessarily, depends on how it got broken.

My problem is remembering who has borrowed what and whether it was
returned!

You do own a pen and paper?

Doesn't mean you can find the bit of paper when you need it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Richard wrote:
[...]

I've had two succeed. The first one was when I was about 6 when the
circus was in town and me and my mates were walking about the
trailers and caravans looking that lions in their cages on wheels. Didn't
even notice the dog was under one of the trailers until it bit me.

The other one was when I was building the house, the back
neighbour's kid who was a hell of a mechanic even as a school
kid had a very neurotic little foxy that snapped out of fright.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Richard wrote:
[...]

And then you got married......

That is the punch line isn't it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 May 2016 10:27:16 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Mr Macaw wrote
Tim Lamb wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Lending anything is risky, as not everyone is as careful as you might
be.

I was standing behind a punter returning a heavy set of hub pullers. He
pocketed his deposit refund and left. The counter man casually threw the
tool across the desk and we both watched as one of the claws fell off
having been temporarily re-attached.

Then they were clearly faulty.

Not necessarily, depends on how it got broken.

My problem is remembering who has borrowed what and whether it was
returned!

You do own a pen and paper?

Doesn't mean you can find the bit of paper when you need it.

Buy a noticeboard.

--
Why is the front of an aeroplane called a cockpit?
If you have female pilots do you call it a pussypit?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Richard wrote:
[...]

To the dog or the owner?

--
Why was the guitar teacher arrested?
For fingering A minor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mr Macaw wrote
Tim Lamb wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Lending anything is risky, as not everyone is as careful as you might
be.

I was standing behind a punter returning a heavy set of hub pullers. He
pocketed his deposit refund and left. The counter man casually threw
the
tool across the desk and we both watched as one of the claws fell off
having been temporarily re-attached.

Then they were clearly faulty.

Not necessarily, depends on how it got broken.

My problem is remembering who has borrowed what and whether it was
returned!

You do own a pen and paper?

Doesn't mean you can find the bit of paper when you need it.

Buy a noticeboard.

I put it in the database, there's a field for who it's currently
lent to and when that happened when it isn't likely to be
coming back quickly because I have said that I have no
plans to use it any time soon. Mainly so that if I need to
use it myself, I can check who currently has it.

I lent my car to one of my neighbours yesterday and didn't
bother to record that because I would remember who I had
leant it to if it wasn't there when I wanted to use it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

news
wrote:

[...]

LMFAO
At least you 2 pricks are typing to each other, just as it should be.
You really need your own ng, ******s cooperative.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 May 2016 11:38:24 +0100, superdick wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

news
wrote:

[...]

You are talking about yourself, judging by your name and use of language.

--
Connecticut police are investigating a string of shootings where clues are reportedly contained in a rap CD.
They are also questioning Bob Marley about the shooting of a sheriff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You must lend a lot of stuff to bother with a database. I don't have more than 1 or 2 things lent at a time.

I lent my car to one of my neighbours yesterday and didn't
bother to record that because I would remember who I had
leant it to if it wasn't there when I wanted to use it.

--
"O'Ryan," asked the druggist, "did that mudpack I gave you improve your wife's appearance?"
"It did, surely," replied O'Ryan, "but it keeps fallin' off!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Fri, 13 May 2016 06:53:47 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

I have the database for other reasons, usage notes,
purchase details so it reminds me when the warranty
is about to run out, maintenance history etc etc etc.

The lent to data is just another couple of fields, who and
when it was lent to.

I don't have more than 1 or 2 things lent at a time.

I normally have rather more than that and some stuff can be
away for months too. I currently have a vice lent to someone
who needs one and I have told him he can keep it until I find
another at a garage sale and either sell him that one or the
one he has been leant depending on what turns up.

The youngest turk has just borrowed a very decent tripod
and I will do the same thing with that if it turns out that he
does use it quite a bit for youtube videos etc. Or it may just
be something he gets sick of and doesn't need one of his own.
He's very reliable about returning stuff that he has borrowed
even if he had had it for 6 months using it spasmodically.

I lent my car to one of my neighbours yesterday and didn't
bother to record that because I would remember who I had
leant it to if it wasn't there when I wanted to use it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 May 2016 04:58:26 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Fri, 13 May 2016 06:53:47 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message
news On Wed, 11 May 2016 10:27:16 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

[...]

Sounds a bit over the top. That's the sort of thing you do if you run a company with a lot of assets to track.

--
A mute walks into a drugstore (chemist) to buy package of prophylactics. Unable to tell the pharmacist what he wants, he puts a $5.00 bill on the counter, unzips his pants, and puts his dick on the counter and points to it.

The pharmacist watches, unzips his own fly, puts his dick on the counter, puts a ruler down next to both of them, points out that his is 1 inch longer and takes the mute's $5.00 bill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Sat, 14 May 2016 04:58:26 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

news

wrote:

[...]

Sounds a bit over the top.

Leaves any alternative approach for dead.

That's the sort of thing you do if you run a company with a lot of assets
to track.

I'm not tracking anything, just organising the notes and details.