Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Poll: lending tools

How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

--
I like bagpipes. I also like violins when played with a hammer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news

How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 May 2016 14:48:46 +0100, Richard wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news

How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.

What if I was naked?

--
Judi: "Hon, what is my love worth to you?"
Amanpreet: "Am I buying, or selling?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news

How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.

What if I was naked?

You'd still be a tool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.

What if I was naked?

You'd still be a tool.

Like...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b08ffac124222e

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news

How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.

I do do it but it takes time to get back,but it does not matter I get it
back if I need it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 May 2016 14:46:35 UTC+1, Mr Macaw wrote:
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Depends on the tool.

The occasional screwdriver ok.

Martindale electrical tester no way.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 May 2016 17:56:36 +0100, wrote:

On Sunday, 8 May 2016 14:46:35 UTC+1, Mr Macaw wrote:
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Depends on the tool.

The occasional screwdriver ok.

Martindale electrical tester no way.

I was thinking of things worth up to £100 or so.

--
Many contemplative moments spent I, squatting on a cold, sixteenth-century sandstone toilet bowl, its edges worn down by generations of shivering buttocks. -- Edward Radclyffe
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 May 2016 17:29:22 +0100, F Murtz wrote:

Richard wrote:
"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news

How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.

I do do it but it takes time to get back,but it does not matter I get it
back if I need it.

Odd, I don't know anyone round here who wouldn't return something immediately they've finished, and get very apologetic if they forget and give it back the next day.

--
Many contemplative moments spent I, squatting on a cold, sixteenth-century sandstone toilet bowl, its edges worn down by generations of shivering buttocks. -- Edward Radclyffe
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.

I do do it but it takes time to get back,but it does not matter I get
it back if I need it.

Odd, I don't know anyone round here who wouldn't return something
immediately they've finished, and get very apologetic if they forget and
give it back the next day.

I had to remind someone - who promptly brought the items back but said he'd
managed to break a bit off one. I few days later I told him I'd managed to
repair it with a part costing £2.99 A few hours later an envelope
containing exactly £2.99 appeared in my letter box.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.

What if I was naked?

You'd still be a tool.

Like...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b08ffac124222e

How does the artist know Trump has a tiny cock?

--
Earth is 98% full, please delete anyone you can.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.
I do do it but it takes time to get back,but it does not matter I get
it back if I need it.

Odd, I don't know anyone round here who wouldn't return something
immediately they've finished, and get very apologetic if they forget and
give it back the next day.

I had to remind someone - who promptly brought the items back but said he'd
managed to break a bit off one. I few days later I told him I'd managed to
repair it with a part costing £2.99 A few hours later an envelope
containing exactly £2.99 appeared in my letter box.

Indeed. When I borrowed my neighbour's welder and melted the rod grabber, I bought a new one on Ebay and replaced it (although that was partly so I could finish the job I was working on!)

--
California lawmakers are now proposing an amendment that would allow 14 year olds a quarter vote and 16 year olds a half a vote in all state elections.
How stupid is this? Don't they have enough trouble counting WHOLE votes? How are they going to figure out fractions?!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2016 18:44, Mr Macaw wrote:

How does the artist know Trump has a tiny cock?

Can you ever find anything out for yourself?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ting-ilma-gore

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 May 2016 19:10:15 +0100, polygonum wrote:

On 08/05/2016 18:44, Mr Macaw wrote:

How does the artist know Trump has a tiny cock?

Can you ever find anything out for yourself?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ting-ilma-gore

Where in that article does it say she's seen him naked?

--
What's red and sits in the corner?
A baby chewing on razor blades.

What's blue and sits in the corner?
A baby in a plastic bag.

What's green and sits in the corner?
The same baby a month later.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 08/05/2016 18:44, Mr Macaw wrote:

How does the artist know Trump has a tiny cock?

Can you ever find anything out for yourself?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ting-ilma-gore

Where in that article does it say she's seen him naked?

Did I write that the article said that? No.

Does the article explain things? I think that it does. Achieving tat
understanding does require the ability to concentrate and read what is
there.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 08/05/2016 18:44, Mr Macaw wrote:

How does the artist know Trump has a tiny cock?

Can you ever find anything out for yourself?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ting-ilma-gore

Where in that article does it say she's seen him naked?

Did I write that the article said that? No.

Does the article explain things? I think that it does. Achieving tat
understanding does require the ability to concentrate and read what is
there.

You linked to the article so the article could answer my question - how did she know the size of his cock. It didn't answer that question.

--
Einstein married his cousin, Elsa Lowenthal, after his first marriage failed in 1919.
At the time he stated that he was attracted to Elsa "because she was so well endowed".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2016 19:44, Mr Macaw wrote:
You linked to the article so the article could answer my question - how
did she know the size of his cock. It didn't answer that question.

It flaming well did explain that the picture was based on one of her
friends and she doesn't now, nor ever has, claimed to know the actual
dimensions of his organ.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:

Mr Macaw wrote:

How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

I do do it but it takes time to get back,but it does not matter I get it
back if I need it.

I'll lend to and borrow from the decent ones, I've even replaced the
handles on picks and sledge hammers I've borrowed that were rotten, I've
hung on to his tin snips because I suspect I'll need them again before
he does ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
F Murtz wrote:

Mr Macaw wrote:

How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

I do do it but it takes time to get back,but it does not matter I
get it back if I need it.

I'll lend to and borrow from the decent ones, I've even replaced the
handles on picks and sledge hammers I've borrowed that were rotten,
I've hung on to his tin snips because I suspect I'll need them again
before he does ...

44 years ago I borrowed a pair of tin snips from a very large bricklayer.
He said in no uncertain terms that he wanted them back.
I still have them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Macaw wrote

How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

I do it all the time with those that I know know how to use
them properly with the more important tools. With the less
important tools like garden tools I don't even worry about
that with those because I know I can replace them for
peanuts at the garage/yard sales if I need to.

With the kids that I think are unlikely to know how to use
the tool properly, I just do what they want to do for them.

I do in fact lend tools a hell of a lot, mainly because I
have a lot more of them than any of my neighbours do.

Can't think of a single tool that has ever been damaged.

I have had just a couple get lost, both tiny little wifi sticks.

Haven't got the hdmi cable back yet and its been away for
the best part of a year now, likely they have just forgotten.
I'm due to see why a desktop they grabbed when one of
their relos chucked it out stopped working, likely today,
so might remind them if I think of it. No big deal if I don't,
it didn't cost me much at a garage/yard sale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 May 2016 19:54:21 +0100, polygonum wrote:

On 08/05/2016 19:44, Mr Macaw wrote:
You linked to the article so the article could answer my question - how
did she know the size of his cock. It didn't answer that question.

It flaming well did explain that the picture was based on one of her
friends and she doesn't now, nor ever has, claimed to know the actual
dimensions of his organ.

So the answer was "she made it up". Why are you so longwinded?

--
Why are they called buildings, when they're already finished? Shouldn't they be called builts?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news

How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.

What if I was naked?

They'd be too busy pointing and laughing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.

What if I was naked?

They'd be too busy pointing and laughing.

Last time I was naked in public several women screamed. It was accidental, I went down a mud slide, tripped over the electric wire and somersaulted into the water after receiving a shock. When I emerged from the water, I realised my thong had fallen off.
http://www.toughguy.co.uk

--
Confucius say: "Boy who go to sleep with stiff problem wake up with solution in hand."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Sun, 08 May 2016 17:56:36 +0100, wrote:

On Sunday, 8 May 2016 14:46:35 UTC+1, Mr Macaw wrote:
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Depends on the tool.

The occasional screwdriver ok.

Martindale electrical tester no way.

I was thinking of things worth up to £100 or so.

I do regardless of price, will even lend my car to some.

And have lent satnavs, laptops, chainsaws etc.

Have lent the trailers that are worth a lot more than that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.

I do do it but it takes time to get back,but it does not matter I get it
back if I need it.

Odd, I don't know anyone round here who wouldn't
return something immediately they've finished,

Least half of those that borrow stuff can take a while to return it.

With stuff I'm not actually using, I often do say that there is
no rush to return it, whenever that is convenient for them etc.

and get very apologetic if they forget and give it back the next day.

Can't say I have ever had that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Sun, 08 May 2016 17:12:33 +0100, polygonum
wrote:

On 08/05/2016 16:00, bm wrote:
"Mr Macaw" wrote in message
news On Sun, 08 May 2016 14:48:46 +0100, Richard
wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.

What if I was naked?

You'd still be a tool.

Like...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b08ffac124222e

How does the artist know Trump has a tiny cock?

Same way we know you do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 May 2016 22:31:45 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Sun, 08 May 2016 17:56:36 +0100, wrote:

On Sunday, 8 May 2016 14:46:35 UTC+1, Mr Macaw wrote:
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Depends on the tool.

The occasional screwdriver ok.

Martindale electrical tester no way.

I was thinking of things worth up to £100 or so.

I do regardless of price, will even lend my car to some.

And have lent satnavs, laptops, chainsaws etc.

Have lent the trailers that are worth a lot more than that.

My neighbour used to lend me his Austin Gypsy before I'd even bought my first car. Bloody thing needed TLC with the gear changes. There were certain combinations that were impossible, eg neutral to first while the engine was running. You had to start it in first with the clutch in. Presumably it had a loose clutch cable and no or completely worn synchromesh.

--
Artificial intelligence is always better than real stupidity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.
I do do it but it takes time to get back,but it does not matter I get it
back if I need it.

Odd, I don't know anyone round here who wouldn't
return something immediately they've finished,

Least half of those that borrow stuff can take a while to return it.

With stuff I'm not actually using, I often do say that there is
no rush to return it, whenever that is convenient for them etc.

That is inviting them to forget.

and get very apologetic if they forget and give it back the next day.

Can't say I have ever had that.

Some people are overly polite.

--
Eskimoes only have 4 words for snow, but 32 words for demonstrative pronouns (we only have this/that/these/those).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.

What if I was naked?

You'd still be a tool.

Like...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b08ffac124222e

How does the artist know Trump has a tiny cock?

Same way we know you do.

You are making a guess based on no evidence whatsoever.

--
My Wife was at the beauty shop for two hours. That was only for the estimate.
She got a mudpack and looked great for two days. Then the mud fell off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.

What if I was naked?

They'd be too busy pointing and laughing.

Last time I was naked in public several women screamed.

That was because of the rabid blood shot eyes and flecks of foam about the
lips.

It was accidental, I went down a mud slide, tripped over the electric wire
and somersaulted into the water after receiving a shock. When I emerged
from the water, I realised my thong had fallen off.
http://www.toughguy.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Sun, 08 May 2016 22:34:07 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

news

Richard wrote:
"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

Doubt whether my neighbour would want to borrow you.
I do do it but it takes time to get back,but it does not matter I get
it
back if I need it.

Odd, I don't know anyone round here who wouldn't
return something immediately they've finished,

Least half of those that borrow stuff can take a while to return it.

With stuff I'm not actually using, I often do say that there is
no rush to return it, whenever that is convenient for them etc.

That is inviting them to forget.

I don't see them forget very often at all.

and get very apologetic if they forget and give it back the next day.

Can't say I have ever had that.

Some people are overly polite.

True, but none of those that borrow stuff from me
are like that, maybe they are too polite to ask.

I used to have one of my Italian neighbours that used
to borrow garden tools quite a bit. Once the ****ing
great Alsatian grew up a bit, you could see the neighbour
almost turn and run when the dog started barking at him
when he knocked on the patio door with the dog inside
the house. He stopped coming after a while presumably
because of the dog.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message
news On Sun, 08 May 2016 17:29:22 +0100, F Murtz wrote:

Richard wrote:
[...]

I fail to see why people are scared of dogs.

--
"A life without danger is a life not worth living" -- Moist von Lipwig
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Sun, 08 May 2016 22:47:52 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

news

wrote:

Richard wrote:
[...]

Yeah, it's a completely irrational fear most of the time.

But most don't have a clue about how dogs operate
and so don't realise what is safe and what isnt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default lending tools

Lending anything is risky, as not everyone is as careful as you might be.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
How many of you are happy to lend tools to neighbours?

--
I like bagpipes. I also like violins when played with a hammer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 May 2016 08:25:59 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Lending anything is risky, as not everyone is as careful as you might be.

Yup, like my Dad used to say, 'Never a lender or borrower be' (and I
don't think he meant the 'little people') and if you did ever lend
anything, do so on the assumption you would never get it back or back
in the same condition.

Now, with some tools that might not matter as they could be old, or
'spares' / whatever, but I bet most of us have some tool they simply
wouldn't lend out for some reason (be it sentimental, irreplaceable,
expensive or somesuch)?

But there are people I will lend stuff to on the basis I know they
will either repair or replace and without me having to ask them to.

It's like the bikers thing re lending bikes ... 'you drop it you buy
it'. ;-)

I have actually gone out and bought new tools (an angle grinder was
the latest case) to lend to a neighbour because I didn't want to risk
getting my good grinders lost or damaged. If it does come back and is
still ok then I get another angle grinder and will have done a
neighbour a favour, win win (as you can't have too many angle grinders
eh)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Lending anything is risky, as not everyone is as careful as you might be.

I was standing behind a punter returning a heavy set of hub pullers. He
pocketed his deposit refund and left. The counter man casually threw the
tool across the desk and we both watched as one of the claws fell off
having been temporarily re-attached.

My problem is remembering who has borrowed what and whether it was
returned!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 May 2016 09:28:04 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

I was standing behind a punter returning a heavy set of hub pullers. He
pocketed his deposit refund and left. The counter man casually threw the
tool across the desk and we both watched as one of the claws fell off
having been temporarily re-attached.

Lovely. ;-(

My problem is remembering who has borrowed what and whether it was
returned!

I like the TV ad where the neighbour borrows a clutch of power tools
and the lender takes a picture of him with them. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Lending anything is risky, as not everyone is as careful as you might be.

Yup, like my Dad used to say, 'Never a lender or borrower be' (and I
don't think he meant the 'little people') and if you did ever lend
anything, do so on the assumption you would never get it back or back
in the same condition.

That saying is for money.

Now, with some tools that might not matter as they could be old, or
'spares' / whatever, but I bet most of us have some tool they simply
wouldn't lend out for some reason (be it sentimental, irreplaceable,
expensive or somesuch)?

But there are people I will lend stuff to on the basis I know they
will either repair or replace and without me having to ask them to.

I assume everyone will do that. If they don't, they aren't worth knowing in the future.

It's like the bikers thing re lending bikes ... 'you drop it you buy
it'. ;-)

I have actually gone out and bought new tools (an angle grinder was
the latest case) to lend to a neighbour because I didn't want to risk
getting my good grinders lost or damaged. If it does come back and is
still ok then I get another angle grinder and will have done a
neighbour a favour, win win (as you can't have too many angle grinders
eh)?

Cheers, T i m

And if it comes back broken, you replace it under warranty.

--
A sheet of sandpaper makes a cheap and effective substitute for costly maps when visiting the Sahara desert.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 May 2016 09:28:04 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Lending anything is risky, as not everyone is as careful as you might be.

I was standing behind a punter returning a heavy set of hub pullers. He
pocketed his deposit refund and left. The counter man casually threw the
tool across the desk and we both watched as one of the claws fell off
having been temporarily re-attached.

Then they were clearly faulty.

My problem is remembering who has borrowed what and whether it was
returned!

You do own a pen and paper?

--
My wife was hinting about what she wanted for our upcoming anniversary.
She said, "I want something shiny that goes from 0 to 150 in about 3 seconds"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 May 2016 09:54:02 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Mon, 9 May 2016 09:28:04 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

I was standing behind a punter returning a heavy set of hub pullers. He
pocketed his deposit refund and left. The counter man casually threw the
tool across the desk and we both watched as one of the claws fell off
having been temporarily re-attached.

Lovely. ;-(

My problem is remembering who has borrowed what and whether it was
returned!

I like the TV ad where the neighbour borrows a clutch of power tools
and the lender takes a picture of him with them. ;-)

Oh now that's a good idea. He should also be holding up a signed piece of paper saying I promise to return these in this condition.

--
My wife and I went to a hotel where we got a waterbed. My wife calls it the Dead Sea .