Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pans for an induction hob

I'm in the dog house because I bought an induction hob and none of our
pans are compatible. Our main set of pans are copper bottomed Prestige
set that was a wedding present from 1979. They have been used and
misused daily, and have never had as much as a loose handle they will
last a further 100 years, no wonder they didn't survive as a UK made
brand. But I digress.

I am looking at these two sets
http://tinyurl.com/z5gyxg5
[amazon]

http://tinyurl.com/jz546va
[currys.co.uk]

Am I better off with the steel pans or the aluminium ones with
(presumably) a ferrous base?

Or something else altogether?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2016 23:32, Graham. wrote:

I'm in the dog house because I bought an induction hob and none of our
pans are compatible. Our main set of pans are copper bottomed Prestige
set that was a wedding present from 1979.

Copper bottomed aluminium? I thought the copper bottomed stuff was
stainless, which ought to work with induction - but maybe that was later.

They have been used and
misused daily, and have never had as much as a loose handle they will
last a further 100 years, no wonder they didn't survive as a UK made
brand. But I digress.

I am looking at these two sets
http://tinyurl.com/z5gyxg5
[amazon]

http://tinyurl.com/jz546va
[currys.co.uk]

Am I better off with the steel pans or the aluminium ones with
(presumably) a ferrous base?

Or something else altogether?

I'd get stainless or cast iron. I'd want to handle the stainless to see
how hefty they are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/20/2016 6:32 PM, Graham. wrote:

Am I better off with the steel pans or the aluminium ones with
(presumably) a ferrous base?

Or something else altogether?

Something else altogether.
This set from Costco is excellent -

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/kirkland-signature-13-piece-try-ply-clad-stainless-steel-cookware-set-987640

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/20/2016 6:50 PM, Clive George wrote:
On 20/04/2016 23:32, Graham. wrote:

I'm in the dog house because I bought an induction hob and none of our
pans are compatible. Our main set of pans are copper bottomed Prestige
set that was a wedding present from 1979.

Copper bottomed aluminium? I thought the copper bottomed stuff was
stainless, which ought to work with induction - but maybe that was later.

Not all stainless works with induction.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 23:50:09 +0100, Clive George
wrote:

[...]

Yes, the Prestege ones are ss. They aren't "detected" by my daughters
induction hob, I havn't unboxed mine yet.
A magnet is not attracted to the body of the pan but that's normal
with SS. It is attracted slightly to the rims of the pans, I wonder
why?

I'll pop into Currys and look at their set tomorrow.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 23:50:09 +0100, Clive George wrote:

I'm in the dog house because I bought an induction hob and none of

our
pans are compatible. Our main set of pans are copper bottomed

Prestige
set that was a wedding present from 1979.

Only in the dog house! Surprised your not sleeping somehere else...

Copper bottomed aluminium? I thought the copper bottomed stuff was
stainless, which ought to work with induction - but maybe that was
later.

Where does it say the wedding pressy pans are copper bottomed ali? If
these pans have wooden handles they may well be the same as a set we
have. And yes they are stainless and they don't work on the induction
hob. Stainless isn't magnetic.

I am looking at these two sets
http://tinyurl.com/z5gyxg5
[amazon]

http://tinyurl.com/jz546va
[currys.co.uk]

Am I better off with the steel pans or the aluminium ones with
(presumably) a ferrous base?

Pans are rather personal, I wouldn't touch either of those sets with
a barge pole 1st set non stick, well it's OK for 6 months but can't
really take daily use and abuse. 2nd set have a glowing red spot
gimmick. One set has phenolic (aka plastic) handles.

Or something else altogether?

I'd get stainless or cast iron. I'd want to handle the stainless to see
how hefty they are.

Lighter than the cast iron. B-)

My favourite pans ATM are Meyer "Bella Classico" but appear to be now
made of unobtainium. Unless you are in
Thailand:

http://www.meyerthailand.com/en/meye...o_10pc_cookwar
e_set.asp

3490 TBH is about 70 GBP not bad for a set of ten.

I'd go for plain stainless, with a heavyish base(*) and from a maker
who will sell individual pans, having two small pans and two medium
ones is very useful. Find a decent cookshop but be prepared to spend
some money £30 for 5 pans is, IMHO, cheap tat that won't last. If
those wedding pressy pans are the same as mine they weren't cheap, £5
to £10/pan 30 years ago (£25 to £50/pan
today).

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b.../Historic-infl
ation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

(*) Our single ring, portable, induction hob is still "bang bang"
control rather than linear. A heavyish base helps to even out the
temperature variation.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2016 00:06, S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/20/2016 6:32 PM, Graham. wrote:

Am I better off with the steel pans or the aluminium ones with
(presumably) a ferrous base?

Or something else altogether?

Something else altogether.
This set from Costco is excellent -

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/kirkland-signature-13-piece-try-ply-clad-stainless-steel-cookware-set-987640

+1
I was just about to look 'em up.

Bought them 3 or 4 years ago purely because of the steamer pan thing but
the rest of the pans are brilliant. Heavy, not covered in toxic teflon
and when stuff gets burnt on the bottom which it does, even with an
induction hob (don't believe the hype) you can scour 'em proper or super
hard burnt stuff just leave it soaking with a crumbled up dishwasher
tablet and a jug full of boiled water.

Brilliant pans.... Ha... just noticed this:
"Care Instructions: Hand wash recommended"
Ours go in the dish washer when there's space. no harm has come to them yet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2016 00:48, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/kirkland-signature-13-piece-try-ply-clad-stainless-steel-cookware-set-987640

+1
I was just about to look 'em up.

ps. yes, we do use them on an induction hob, forgot that bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 00:50:32 +0100, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)
wrote:

On 21/04/2016 00:48, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/kirkland-signature-13-piece-try-ply-clad-stainless-steel-cookware-set-987640

+1
I was just about to look 'em up.

ps. yes, we do use them on an induction hob, forgot that bit.

Oooh. A consensus. And guess who got access to a Costco card last
week?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/20/2016 7:48 PM, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
On 21/04/2016 00:06, S Viemeister wrote:

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/kirkland-signature-13-piece-try-ply-clad-stainless-steel-cookware-set-987640

+1
I was just about to look 'em up.

Bought them 3 or 4 years ago purely because of the steamer pan thing but
the rest of the pans are brilliant. Heavy, not covered in toxic teflon
and when stuff gets burnt on the bottom which it does, even with an
induction hob (don't believe the hype) you can scour 'em proper or super
hard burnt stuff just leave it soaking with a crumbled up dishwasher
tablet and a jug full of boiled water.

Brilliant pans.... Ha... just noticed this:
"Care Instructions: Hand wash recommended"
Ours go in the dish washer when there's space. no harm has come to them yet.

Ours go in the dishwasher when there's room, by hand when there's not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes

Oooh. A consensus. And guess who got access to a Costco card last
week?

We don't have an induction hob, but we do have a set of Costco Kirkland
pans, bought at least 20 years ago, and very good they are too, so a +1
from me, too.

TBH, anything sold by Costco under their Kirkland brand is worth looking
at, in my experience.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/16 23:32, Graham. wrote:

I'm in the dog house because I bought an induction hob and none of our
pans are compatible. Our main set of pans are copper bottomed Prestige
set that was a wedding present from 1979. They have been used and
misused daily, and have never had as much as a loose handle they will
last a further 100 years, no wonder they didn't survive as a UK made
brand. But I digress.

I am looking at these two sets
http://tinyurl.com/z5gyxg5
[amazon]

http://tinyurl.com/jz546va
[currys.co.uk]

Am I better off with the steel pans or the aluminium ones with
(presumably) a ferrous base?

Or something else altogether?

le Creuset make some superb induction pans - all stainless skin so very
easy to clean, metal handles, should last forever. Which is just as well
given the price. I have 3 (small, medium, big) and they do everything,
except for omelettes and other large scale frying.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/16 00:08, S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/20/2016 6:50 PM, Clive George wrote:
On 20/04/2016 23:32, Graham. wrote:

I'm in the dog house because I bought an induction hob and none of our
pans are compatible. Our main set of pans are copper bottomed Prestige
set that was a wedding present from 1979.

Copper bottomed aluminium? I thought the copper bottomed stuff was
stainless, which ought to work with induction - but maybe that was later.

Not all stainless works with induction.

Indeed - it needs to have a ferrous plate either welded to the bottom,
or (better) fully encased in the stainless steel skin in the bottom.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 01:44:31 +0100, Graham. wrote:

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/kirkl...piece-try-ply-
clad-stainless-steel-cookware-set-987640

+1
I was just about to look 'em up.

ps. yes, we do use them on an induction hob, forgot that bit.

Oooh. A consensus. And guess who got access to a Costco card last
week?

+1 here as well but I've only looked at them in store. Similar to the
Meyers we have. Getting individual pans might be an issue.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 08:16:31 +0100, News wrote:

In message , Graham.
writes

Oooh. A consensus. And guess who got access to a Costco card last week?

We don't have an induction hob, but we do have a set of Costco Kirkland
pans, bought at least 20 years ago, and very good they are too, so a +1
from me, too.

TBH, anything sold by Costco under their Kirkland brand is worth looking
at, in my experience.

I agree. Had a Costco card for 17 years now. Might get round to going a
bit more often now I have more time on my hands!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 00:48:15 +0100, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)
wrote:

... and when stuff gets burnt on the bottom which it does, even with an
induction hob (don't believe the hype) ...

But no where near as easy or as quick to burn things on as a solid
electric hotplate. Those bloody things will burn (as in carbonise)
stuff within 10 mins at minimum setting. With the induction things
might stick a little but not burn if left for 10 mins. Both unstired.
With the induction we have you can bung it into "temperature" mode
and set the temp to 80C, wonderful to put something into a holding
pattern when timings have gone awry.

... you can scour 'em proper or super hard burnt stuff just leave it
soaking with a crumbled up dishwasher tablet and a jug full of boiled
water.

Aye, can't take a non-scratch scourer and Bar Keepers Friend to a
coated pan, well not unless you want to remove the coating. These
days I'd be wary of pans with aluminium exposed to the food. It does
react with some foods (acidic?_ and, AIUI, aluminimium has been
implicated in some forms of brain disease.

"Care Instructions: Hand wash recommended"

Only a recomendation, not an instruction.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

I'm in the dog house because I bought an induction hob and none of our
pans are compatible. Our main set of pans are copper bottomed Prestige
set that was a wedding present from 1979. They have been used and
misused daily, and have never had as much as a loose handle they will
last a further 100 years, no wonder they didn't survive as a UK made
brand. But I digress.

I am looking at these two sets
http://tinyurl.com/z5gyxg5
[amazon]

http://tinyurl.com/jz546va
[currys.co.uk]

Am I better off with the steel pans or the aluminium ones with
(presumably) a ferrous base?

Or something else altogether?

I don't know if these are any good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Ind.../dp/B00DOZXK4Q
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

I like Le Creuset. Bit expensive but avoid the non stick ones.
Some don't like the weight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 20/04/2016 23:32, Graham. wrote:

I'm in the dog house because I bought an induction hob and none of our
pans are compatible. Our main set of pans are copper bottomed Prestige
set that was a wedding present from 1979. They have been used and
misused daily, and have never had as much as a loose handle they will
last a further 100 years, no wonder they didn't survive as a UK made
brand. But I digress.

We had the same pans before getting an induction hob, we knew they
weren't going to work any longer but it still felt a shame to "retire"
them

Or something else altogether?

We got a set of "Circulon" pans when we bought the hob, fails the "no
plastic handles" requirement listed above, though.

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/21/2016 5:39 AM, Capitol wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
This set from Costco is excellent -

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/kirkland-signature-13-piece-try-ply-clad-stainless-steel-cookware-set-987640

But, metal handles.

IMNSHO, vastly preferable. The design of these handles dissipates most
of the heat before it reaches the bit you grab, the metal handles are
more durable, and don't suffer if a dish is finished off in the oven.

One of these is useful when removing metal-handled pots from the oven -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smilucky-Silicone-Saucepan-Kitchen-Utensils/dp/B01AUR73EI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1461240229&sr=8-2&keywords=pan+handle+sleeve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/21/2016 4:13 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I don't know if these are any good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Ind.../dp/B00DOZXK4Q

Hmm.
I don't think I'd bother with them - the induction plate heats the disk,
which then heats the pan. You might as well be using a standard electric
ring.
Waste of both energy and time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/20/2016 6:32 PM, Graham. wrote:

Am I better off with the steel pans or the aluminium ones with
(presumably) a ferrous base?

Or something else altogether?

Something else altogether.
This set from Costco is excellent -

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/kirkland-signature-13-piece-try-ply-clad-stainless-steel-cookware-set-987640

But, metal handles.

And? No wood or plastic to crack of get burnt. Being an induction hob no
heat rising around the sides of the pan to heat the handle, the only heat
is that conducted through from the top of the pan. As long as they are of
sufficient diameter they will dissipate enough heat to the air to keep them
at a safe handling temperature.

Tim
--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/21/2016 4:13 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I don't know if these are any good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Ind.../dp/B00DOZXK4Q

Hmm.
I don't think I'd bother with them - the induction plate heats the disk,
which then heats the pan. You might as well be using a standard electric
ring.
Waste of both energy and time.

Possibly. I'd never heard of them before, but someone else said that to
get ss pans to work, they just stuck a steel disc on the bottom. So, I
was just wondering if someone had invented a converter. I am no longer
amazed that no matter what you can think of, someone has already
invented it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2016 10:39, Capitol wrote:

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/kirkland-signature-13-piece-try-ply-clad-stainless-steel-cookware-set-987640

But, metal handles.

Never had a problem.
Boiling eggs I take straight off the hob and run under cold water. Never
found the handles to ever be hot or even particularly warm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/16 13:17, S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/21/2016 4:13 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I don't know if these are any good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Ind.../dp/B00DOZXK4Q

Hmm.
I don't think I'd bother with them - the induction plate heats the disk,
which then heats the pan. You might as well be using a standard electric
ring.
Waste of both energy and time.

Rather the opposite in fact:

1) The energy goes as close to directly into the food as is possible
without resorting to microwaves;

2) A powerful induction can rival gas for speed of heating (try a pan of
water on Boost and watch as 3.5kW heats it up

3) On the low settings they are as gentle and even as a solid plate hob.

4) Dead easy to clean.

Cons: Expensive - but I would not use anything else now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 21/04/16 13:17, S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/21/2016 4:13 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I don't know if these are any good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Ind.../dp/B00DOZXK4Q

Hmm.
I don't think I'd bother with them - the induction plate heats the disk,
which then heats the pan. You might as well be using a standard electric
ring.
Waste of both energy and time.

Rather the opposite in fact:

1) The energy goes as close to directly into the food as is possible
without resorting to microwaves;

2) A powerful induction can rival gas for speed of heating (try a pan of
water on Boost and watch as 3.5kW heats it up

3) On the low settings they are as gentle and even as a solid plate hob.

4) Dead easy to clean.

Cons: Expensive - but I would not use anything else now.

I think SV was commenting on the adapter I'd linked to (just a steel
disc, really), rather than the actual induction hobs :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2016 13:09, S Viemeister wrote:

One of these is useful when removing metal-handled pots from the oven -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smilucky-Silicone-Saucepan-Kitchen-Utensils/dp/B01AUR73EI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1461240229&sr=8-2&keywords=pan+handle+sleeve

Or an oven glove?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/21/2016 9:11 AM, Tim Watts wrote:
On 21/04/16 13:17, S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/21/2016 4:13 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I don't know if these are any good.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Ind.../dp/B00DOZXK4Q

I don't think I'd bother with them - the induction plate heats the disk,
which then heats the pan. You might as well be using a standard electric ring.
Waste of both energy and time.

Rather the opposite in fact:
(snip)

I wasn't referring to induction-capable pans, used on an induction hob,
but to the ferrous disks which are placed between the hob and
non-induction-capable cookware. Using those _disks_ is a waste of time
and money - an induction hob used with proper cookware, works brilliantly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/21/2016 9:27 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Yes.
I think induction hobs work very well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2016 23:32, Graham. wrote:

Or something else altogether?

Something else...

Just as an add-on; a steel wok for stir-frys if that's your thing but
the trick I discovered was to lay a single sheet of kitchen roll on the
hob plate underneath the wok.
It doesn't stop the wok from getting hot but it allows vigorous
agitation of the pan without having to remove it from the hob and
without the risk of scratching the hob top.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2016 13:22, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/21/2016 4:13 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I don't know if these are any good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Ind.../dp/B00DOZXK4Q

Hmm.
I don't think I'd bother with them - the induction plate heats the disk,
which then heats the pan. You might as well be using a standard electric
ring.
Waste of both energy and time.

Possibly. I'd never heard of them before, but someone else said that to
get ss pans to work, they just stuck a steel disc on the bottom. So, I
was just wondering if someone had invented a converter. I am no longer
amazed that no matter what you can think of, someone has already
invented it.

Our 'induction' Tefal frying pan is made with a steel area stuck to the
bottom. The cheaper non induction version does not have this steel area.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2016 23:32, Graham. wrote:

I'm in the dog house because I bought an induction hob and none of our
pans are compatible. Our main set of pans are copper bottomed Prestige
set that was a wedding present from 1979. They have been used and
misused daily, and have never had as much as a loose handle they will
last a further 100 years, no wonder they didn't survive as a UK made
brand. But I digress.

I am looking at these two sets
http://tinyurl.com/z5gyxg5
[amazon]

http://tinyurl.com/jz546va
[currys.co.uk]

Am I better off with the steel pans or the aluminium ones with
(presumably) a ferrous base?

Or something else altogether?

Our copper bottomed Prestige pans did not last so well, possibly because
they were originally used on a gas hob which could singe the wooden handles.
The Swift pans I bought for our induction hob 12 years ago, have lasted
quite well, perhaps with exception of the frying ban, were the non stick
failed.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/21/2016 4:13 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I don't know if these are any good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Ind.../dp/B00DOZXK4Q

Hmm.
I don't think I'd bother with them - the induction plate heats the disk,
which then heats the pan. You might as well be using a standard electric
ring.
Waste of both energy and time.

Possibly. I'd never heard of them before, but someone else said that to
get ss pans to work, they just stuck a steel disc on the bottom. So, I
was just wondering if someone had invented a converter. I am no longer
amazed that no matter what you can think of, someone has already
invented it.

Our 'induction' Tefal frying pan is made with a steel area stuck to the
bottom. The cheaper non induction version does not have this steel area.

That's what I was thinking when I suggested it, really. If the only
difference is a stuck on disc (which is what someone else suggested),
and you already have a set of pans that you really really like, and
would rather not have to replace...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/16 14:38, S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/21/2016 9:11 AM, Tim Watts wrote:
On 21/04/16 13:17, S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/21/2016 4:13 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
I don't know if these are any good.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Ind.../dp/B00DOZXK4Q

I don't think I'd bother with them - the induction plate heats the disk,
which then heats the pan. You might as well be using a standard
electric ring.
Waste of both energy and time.

Rather the opposite in fact:
(snip)

I wasn't referring to induction-capable pans, used on an induction hob,
but to the ferrous disks which are placed between the hob and
non-induction-capable cookware. Using those _disks_ is a waste of time
and money - an induction hob used with proper cookware, works brilliantly.

Yes - my bad, sorry. I agree, seems a bit daft.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/16 12:54, Lee wrote:
On 20/04/2016 23:32, Graham. wrote:

I'm in the dog house because I bought an induction hob and none of our
pans are compatible. Our main set of pans are copper bottomed Prestige
set that was a wedding present from 1979. They have been used and
misused daily, and have never had as much as a loose handle they will
last a further 100 years, no wonder they didn't survive as a UK made
brand. But I digress.

We had the same pans before getting an induction hob, we knew they
weren't going to work any longer but it still felt a shame to "retire"
them

Or something else altogether?

We got a set of "Circulon" pans when we bought the hob, fails the "no
plastic handles" requirement listed above, though.

Lee

http://www.stellarcookware.co.uk/Pro...llar-1000.html

Stellar are bomb proof, scour proof, last forever, look decent and
reasonably priced.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 21/04/16 13:17, S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/21/2016 4:13 AM, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I don't know if these are any good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Ind.../dp/B00DOZXK4Q

Hmm.
I don't think I'd bother with them - the induction plate heats the disk,
which then heats the pan. You might as well be using a standard electric
ring.
Waste of both energy and time.

Rather the opposite in fact:

1) The energy goes as close to directly into the food as is possible
without resorting to microwaves;

2) A powerful induction can rival gas for speed of heating (try a pan
of water on Boost and watch as 3.5kW heats it up

3) On the low settings they are as gentle and even as a solid plate hob.

4) Dead easy to clean.

Cons: Expensive - but I would not use anything else now.

Also IME the ceramic surface is prone to scratches, which can
look awful after a few years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/21/2016 9:37 AM, Clive George wrote:
On 21/04/2016 13:09, S Viemeister wrote:

One of these is useful when removing metal-handled pots from the oven -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smilucky-Silicone-Saucepan-Kitchen-Utensils/dp/B01AUR73EI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1461240229&sr=8-2&keywords=pan+handle+sleeve

Or an oven glove?

Of course, but the advantage of the sleeve, is that it can be left on -
so I don't accidentally grab an oven-hot handle, after removing the pan
from the oven.
I have scars from that ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/21/2016 9:46 AM, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Just as an add-on; a steel wok for stir-frys if that's your thing but
the trick I discovered was to lay a single sheet of kitchen roll on the
hob plate underneath the wok.
It doesn't stop the wok from getting hot but it allows vigorous
agitation of the pan without having to remove it from the hob and
without the risk of scratching the hob top.

I use a circle of baking parchment - also good if you have uncoated cast
iron, which could easily scratch the induction surface.

Frying Pans Andrew May UK diy 13 November 28th 14 01:50 AM
aluminium pans Dave UK diy 31 January 6th 10 05:35 AM
Lavatory Pans petercharlesfagg[_2_] UK diy 27 May 31st 08 09:34 AM
Car Floor Pans Ray Field Metalworking 9 February 26th 06 01:54 PM
Shower Pans sizes Mr. Whatever Home Repair 4 March 8th 05 07:22 AM