Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Frying Pans

Only slightly DIY I will be doing the frying myself but not making one.

What do people here recommend as far a decent frying pans go? For use
with a Halogen hob and needs to stand getting hot enough to sear meat.
Currently have both a hard anodised aluminium one and an iron one and
both have warped so looking for something a little more resilient.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
Only slightly DIY I will be doing the frying myself but not making one.

What do people here recommend as far a decent frying pans go? For use
with a Halogen hob and needs to stand getting hot enough to sear meat.
Currently have both a hard anodised aluminium one and an iron one and
both have warped so looking for something a little more resilient.

Andrew

I've just bought a JML regis stone one.
So far so good. not signs of warping.
I'm using on a standard radiant ring glass hob.
Base seems to be a riveted laminate of steel and aluminium presumably to
make it induction hob compliant.

Buying online from their website you get charged some postage, using
their Ebay shop, the pan is the same price but post free.

hth
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2014 14:28, Andrew May wrote:
Only slightly DIY I will be doing the frying myself but not making one.

What do people here recommend as far a decent frying pans go? For use
with a Halogen hob and needs to stand getting hot enough to sear meat.
Currently have both a hard anodised aluminium one and an iron one and
both have warped so looking for something a little more resilient.

I have a disrecommendation for the John Lewis ones. Bought one and the
non-stick started to peel away within 6 months. Took it back for a
replacement and the same thing happened. Couldn't be bothered to take it
back again.

I've since bought a bonkers expensive Le Creuset non-stick which appears
to be the dog's doodahs.

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 27, 2014 2:28:37 PM UTC, Andrew May wrote:
Only slightly DIY I will be doing the frying myself but not making one.

What do people here recommend as far a decent frying pans go? For use
with a Halogen hob and needs to stand getting hot enough to sear meat.
Currently have both a hard anodised aluminium one and an iron one and
both have warped so looking for something a little more resilient.

Andrew

Have you looked at ProCook? Get the pans with the 25 year guarantee. Pricey but absolutely worth every penny.

Philip
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message
Only slightly DIY I will be doing the frying myself but not making one.

What do people here recommend as far a decent frying pans go? For use with
a Halogen hob and needs to stand getting hot enough to sear meat.
Currently have both a hard anodised aluminium one and an iron one and both
have warped so looking for something a little more resilient.

IME they all go this way unless you want to pay a kings ransom, and as I'm
not interested in getting a frying pan that will outlast me, I just buy the
£5 bottom of the range Tefal pan from Asda once every 3 years

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew May
writes
Only slightly DIY I will be doing the frying myself but not making one.

What do people here recommend as far a decent frying pans go? For use
with a Halogen hob and needs to stand getting hot enough to sear meat.
Currently have both a hard anodised aluminium one and an iron one and
both have warped so looking for something a little more resilient.

I buy hard anodised with metal handles, not the tubular ones but the
mostly solid ones that split into a Y before riveting on and look for
one with a silicone insert too.

That's usually an indication that they can be used in the oven too and
so can take a bit of heat/abuse.

I haven't mentioned a specific make as I look for a nice design at a
price I like and just buy it.

Small and medium frying pans were found at TK-Max and are Viners I think
(lots of **** made by them so watch out but these are excellent - Viners
site has been down for ages btw)

Metal handled saucepans, again hard anodised and with similar metal
handles were a rare find at Lidl/Aldi (never to be seen again).

The designs are a bit like these but not at those prices!

http://www.jamieoliver.com/products/...hard-anodized/

Although they don't look like it, they claim to have silicone inserts in
the handles.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , fred writes

http://www.jamieoliver.com/products/...hard-anodized/

Although they don't look like it, they claim to have silicone inserts in
the handles.

'ere, wait a minute, they are hard anodised but claim to be induction
compatible which aluminium cannot be?, I hope they haven't done
something silly like laminate some steel in there too. If so avoid . . .

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message
Only slightly DIY I will be doing the frying myself but not making one.

What do people here recommend as far a decent frying pans go? For use with a Halogen
hob and needs to stand getting hot enough to sear meat. Currently have both a hard
anodised aluminium one and an iron one and both have warped so looking for something a
little more resilient.

Andrew

It probably depends on the diameter of the hob and the diameter
of the frying pan. Having suffered from warped frying pans
myself, I've come to the conclusion that unless the maximum
heat is applied over the entire surface of the pan - which would
mean matching the bottom of the pan to the exact diameter of the
ring then some sort of distortion as a result of large numbers
of heating and cooling cycles will eventually result. Not being
a metallurgist this might be a load of old cobblers, but I suspect
that developing a metal that wouldn't react in this way would
probably cost more than could be recouped by the sale of
economically and competitively priced frying pans.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew May wrote:
Only slightly DIY I will be doing the frying myself but not making one.

What do people here recommend as far a decent frying pans go? For use
with a Halogen hob and needs to stand getting hot enough to sear meat.
Currently have both a hard anodised aluminium one and an iron one and
both have warped so looking for something a little more resilient.

I have a small Le Cruset and a medium and stupidly large Aga cast iron
ones. The latter is getting to the point where it's almost too much to
lift with one hand with the lid on.

However these pans are the sort of things you leave to your
grandchildren... (if we had any - it'll be the nieces instead)

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote

Only slightly DIY I will be doing the frying myself but not making one.

What do people here recommend as far a decent frying pans go? For use with
a Halogen hob and needs to stand getting hot enough to sear meat.
Currently have both a hard anodised aluminium one and an iron one and both
have warped so looking for something a little more resilient.

I use electric frying pans myself rather than ones that go on the stove top.

And wash them in the dishwasher too, even when they say not to. Works fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2014 14:28, Andrew May wrote:
Only slightly DIY I will be doing the frying myself but not making one.

What do people here recommend as far a decent frying pans go? For use
with a Halogen hob and needs to stand getting hot enough to sear meat.
Currently have both a hard anodised aluminium one and an iron one and
both have warped so looking for something a little more resilient.

Andrew

Trust me and go to Lakeland and buy their £8-00 frying pan with non
stick coating and dimples over the inside bottom. Suitable for induction
as well. I have bought three and used them for about 6 months been
dishwashered as well and show no sign of any problem.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/16580/Lake...ue-24cm-Frypan

for that sort of price and structure you cant go wrong

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2014 14:28, Andrew May wrote:
Only slightly DIY I will be doing the frying myself but not making one.

What do people here recommend as far a decent frying pans go? For use
with a Halogen hob and needs to stand getting hot enough to sear meat.
Currently have both a hard anodised aluminium one and an iron one and
both have warped so looking for something a little more resilient.

Andrew

And each time I hear your name
(Frying pan, frying pan)
Oh! How it hurts
(He's in pain)
In the wardrobe of my soul
(Oh, my soul)
In the section labelled "shirts"
(Aah)
Ah! Oh!

We got a Tefal (I think Jamie Oliver) stainless, non-stick, yes -
silicone down the handle. Very pleased with it - used on induction, and
I do not feel the need to get it very very hot.

The base of the pan is exactly the same size as the large "ring" on out
hob and heats fairly evenly.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2014 20:23, critcher wrote:
On 27/11/2014 14:28, Andrew May wrote:
Only slightly DIY I will be doing the frying myself but not making one.

What do people here recommend as far a decent frying pans go? For use
with a Halogen hob and needs to stand getting hot enough to sear meat.
Currently have both a hard anodised aluminium one and an iron one and
both have warped so looking for something a little more resilient.

Andrew

Trust me and go to Lakeland and buy their £8-00 frying pan with non
stick coating and dimples over the inside bottom. Suitable for induction
as well. I have bought three and used them for about 6 months been
dishwashered as well and show no sign of any problem.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/16580/Lake...ue-24cm-Frypan

In the reviews, A person who had an induction hob complained!

--
Michael Chare

Frying pan murder weapon Stormin Mormon[_7_] Metalworking 1 April 28th 12 01:33 PM
Non-stick frying pan. OFF TOPIC? Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 56 December 29th 06 05:43 PM
Non-stick frying pan Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 6 December 26th 06 12:13 AM
Teflon frying pan Don Lee Home Repair 33 February 1st 06 12:29 AM
What's to be done with an old frying-pan? D.M. Procida UK diy 44 February 19th 05 11:21 PM