D.M. Procida

Default What's to be done with an old frying-pan?

It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre
John

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

It is now legal to wham burglers on the head with a frying pan.

The Natural Philosopher

D.M. Procida wrote:

It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Daniele

Think of it as a non stick surface with a free base attached.

It is completely worn out and the base was free...so chuck it.
Mary Fisher

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

I sympathise with this, it's happened to me. I use mine for wet cooking
which won't stick anyway.

Mary

Daniele

Holly, in France

D.M. Procida wrote in
message
It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface

has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Do you have children? If so, give them the frying pan, some sausages and
the makings of a bonfire, works for me :-)

--
Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,

mike ring

It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Daniele

How about a bird bath - I use an old frying pan, mainly in icy weather when
the bird Chingford Lido has frozen.

mike
Rob Morley

In article 1grywvg.x85xuf1ltco8wN%real-not-anti-spam-address@apple-
juice.co.uk, "D.M. Procida" real-not-anti-spam-address@apple-
juice.co.uk says...
It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Polish it up with wire wool and use it as an aluminium pan, just like
we used to before they invented fragile non-stick coatongs that don't
work very well anyay. If you want a really durable non-stick pan use
cast iron.
The Natural Philosopher

Ian Stirling wrote:

Huge wrote:

(D.M. Procida) writes:

It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Clean the remaining non-stick off with a wire brush, "season" the pan
as described in any good cook-book and continue using it for the rest of
your life.

Aluminium doesn't really season.

Does too.
The Natural Philosopher

Ian Stirling wrote:

Huge wrote:

Ian Stirling writes:

Huge wrote:

(D.M. Procida) writes:

It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Clean the remaining non-stick off with a wire brush, "season" the pan
as described in any good cook-book and continue using it for the rest of
your life.

Aluminium doesn't really season.

Ah, if it's aluminium, I would throw it away.

I don't believe any non-stick pans are cast iron.
The non-stick coating is adhered by a process which pretty much implies
aluminium.

Plemty of teflon coated cast ironers about actually. Ive had several.
nightjar

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I don't believe any non-stick pans are cast iron....

Le Creuset do them

Colin Bignell

nightjar

"Holly, in France" wrote in message

D.M. Procida wrote in
message
It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface

has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Do you have children? If so, give them the frying pan, some sausages and
the makings of a bonfire, works for me :-)

But, what do you do with the frying pan after the kids have incinerated
themselves?

Colin Bignell

S Viemeister

"nightjar

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I don't believe any non-stick pans are cast iron....

Le Creuset do them

All-clad do a stainless/aluminium/stainless/nonstick series.

Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I don't believe any non-stick pans are cast iron....

Le Creuset do them

My Creusets are cast iron ... my Circulons are aluminium - but with superior
non-stick finishes.

Mary

Colin Bignell

Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message

It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface

has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Do you have children? If so, give them the frying pan, some sausages and
the makings of a bonfire, works for me :-)

But, what do you do with the frying pan after the kids have incinerated
themselves?

Have fun making more kids?

Mary

Colin Bignell

nightjar

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message

It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface
has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Do you have children? If so, give them the frying pan, some sausages and
the makings of a bonfire, works for me :-)

But, what do you do with the frying pan after the kids have incinerated
themselves?

Have fun making more kids?

With a frying pan? You are obviously more inventive in that area than I am.

Colin Bignell

Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message

It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface
has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Do you have children? If so, give them the frying pan, some sausages
and
the makings of a bonfire, works for me :-)

But, what do you do with the frying pan after the kids have incinerated
themselves?

Have fun making more kids?

With a frying pan? You are obviously more inventive in that area than I
am.

At my age I'd have to be super inventive with any method ...

It amuses me when I go for a uterine scan as part of a clinical research sub
protocol. The ulstra sound gadget is in the assisted fertility unit. Hopeful
young couples have to sit in the waiting room with grey and long bearded
Spouse and me, I'd obviously break all world records for giving birth ...
Perhaps I shold tell them about frying pans.

chortles, imagining what they say about us in private!

Mary

Colin Bignell

Huge wrote:

I either buy (i) cast iron, non-nonstick frying pans, in which case
buy a good one and look after it, or (ii) really cheap non-stick,

usually
supermarket branded, non-stick ones and treat them as a consumable.

doesnt that cause digestion problems?

Probably teeth problems as well.

NT

Rob Morley

In article , ""nightjar"
" "nightjar" nightjar@
insert_my_surname_here.uk.com says...

"Holly, in France" wrote in message

D.M. Procida wrote in
message
It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface

has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Do you have children? If so, give them the frying pan, some sausages and
the makings of a bonfire, works for me :-)

But, what do you do with the frying pan after the kids have incinerated
themselves?

Use it as a shovel to dig a shallow grave?
Mary Fisher

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Just had a genuine idea:

Cut down the rim at both sides of the handle and round the bottom edge of
the pan (removing the sides) so that you are left with the handle attached
to the flat base.

It will make an admirable peel.

Mary

Bob Eager

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:38:00 UTC, "nightjar"
wrote:

"Holly, in France" wrote in message

D.M. Procida wrote in
message
It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface

has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Do you have children? If so, give them the frying pan, some sausages and
the makings of a bonfire, works for me :-)

But, what do you do with the frying pan after the kids have incinerated
themselves?

Saute the kids...

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Dave

Ian Stirling wrote:
Huge wrote:

(D.M. Procida) writes:

It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Clean the remaining non-stick off with a wire brush, "season" the pan
as described in any good cook-book and continue using it for the rest of
your life.

Aluminium doesn't really season.

I have an old aluminum pan that I have successfully seasoned. It used to
be a non-stick one, but the wife used a metal spatula and scratched the
surface to such an extent that it was not a non-stick pan any more :-(

As it was quite an expensive one, I took off the handle and coated the
pan with a thin film of ground nut oil and put it in the oven at the
maximum temperature. The result of this was I had a new non-stick pan
again :-)

Dave

John Stumbles

Mary Fisher wrote:

It amuses me when I go for a uterine scan as part of a clinical research sub
protocol. The ulstra sound gadget is in the assisted fertility unit. Hopeful
young couples have to sit in the waiting room with grey and long bearded
Spouse and me, I'd obviously break all world records for giving birth ...

I'v been trying to imagine what Mary looks like.

Didn't reckon on the beard though :-)
John Stumbles

Mary Fisher wrote:
"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message

It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Just had a genuine idea:

Cut down the rim at both sides of the handle and round the bottom edge of
the pan (removing the sides) so that you are left with the handle attached
to the flat base.

It will make an admirable peel.

er, what's a peel?

Mary Fisher

"John Stumbles" wrote in message

Just had a genuine idea:

Cut down the rim at both sides of the handle and round the bottom edge of
the pan (removing the sides) so that you are left with the handle
attached to the flat base.

It will make an admirable peel.

er, what's a peel?

D'ye not ken?

It's a sort of large spatula for removing free-form bread and the like from
an oven, especially an earth oven. Always used to be wood but they don't
have to be.

Mary

Owain

"Bob Eager" wrote
| But, what do you do with the frying pan after the kids have
| incinerated themselves?
| Saute the kids...

Human black puddings are already being discussed on ukfdm

Owain

Bob Eager

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:37:17 UTC, John Stumbles
wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message

It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Just had a genuine idea:

Cut down the rim at both sides of the handle and round the bottom edge of
the pan (removing the sides) so that you are left with the handle attached
to the flat base.

It will make an admirable peel.

er, what's a peel?

You rose to the bait!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
D.M. Procida

Dave wrote:

As it was quite an expensive one, I took off the handle and coated the
pan with a thin film of ground nut oil and put it in the oven at the
maximum temperature. The result of this was I had a new non-stick pan
again :-)

How exactly does this work?

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre
Market Road www.apple-juice.co.uk
Cardiff CF5 1QE 029 2019 0140
Holly, in France

nightjar .uk.com nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message
"Holly, in France" wrote in message

D.M. Procida wrote in
message
It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick

surface
has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very

wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Do you have children? If so, give them the frying pan, some sausages

and
the makings of a bonfire, works for me :-)

But, what do you do with the frying pan after the kids have

incinerated
themselves?

Not sure about the frying pan, but as for the kids, plenty more where
they came from :-)

I should have said campfire rather than bonfire!

Holly

Chris Hodges

Owain wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote
| But, what do you do with the frying pan after the kids have
| incinerated themselves?
| Saute the kids...

Human black puddings are already being discussed on ukfdm

Do we even want to know what ukfdm is?

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk

Mary Fisher

"Chris Hodges" wrote in message
. uk...
Owain wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote | But, what do you do with the frying pan after the
kids have | incinerated themselves?
| Saute the kids...

Human black puddings are already being discussed on ukfdm

Do we even want to know what ukfdm is?

uk.food+drink.misc

Not as interesting or as gory as d-i-y.

Nor uk.business.agriculture ... they're always nailing politicans to church
doors there.

Mary

Mary

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk

Fred

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
Dave wrote:

As it was quite an expensive one, I took off the handle and coated the
pan with a thin film of ground nut oil and put it in the oven at the
maximum temperature. The result of this was I had a new non-stick pan
again :-)

How exactly does this work?

Daniele
--

The surface becomes largely carbon and is quite rugged, it's similar to the
"black" which forms on baking trays etc which are constantly used in the

raden

In message , Ian
Stirling writes

I could say that I'm completely right, as I refuse to believe otherwise

Le Creuset make them. They're very heavy, the non-stick comes off
quite easily and they shatter if dropped onto a tiled floor.

Won't do the floor much good either.

What's the point?

I think he's giving us the benefit of his experience here

Have you been banned from the kitchen then Huge?

--
geoff
raden

In message , John Stumbles
writes
Mary Fisher wrote:
"D.M. Procida" wrote
in message
k...

It's a perfectly good heavy frying-pan, except the non-stick surface
has
worn away and it's a nuisance to cook with, but it seems very wasteful
simply to get rid of it. Is it worth doing anything else with it?

Just had a genuine idea:
Cut down the rim at both sides of the handle and round the bottom
edge of the pan (removing the sides) so that you are left with the
handle attached to the flat base.
It will make an admirable peel.

er, what's a peel?

Half of 50% of the Avengers?

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

er, what's a peel?

Half of 50% of the Avengers?

Even I know that you're showing your age there!

Mary

--
geoff