Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Non-stick frying pan

Hello all.

Thanks for your answers.
This is what I intend to do _in the first instance_:
Wash the pan thoroughly in hot water only.
Dry thoroughly with some kitchen towel.
Put in enough oil to cover the bottom.
Heat to a reasonably high heat.
Drain.
Wipe with some kitchen towel, while still hot.

P.S. I didn't return the pan to Sainsbury as I didn't believe that it was
actually faulty; but I was disappointed with its performance (or lack of
it).
P.P.S. I don't do enough frying to warrant getting a cast iron one.

A Happy Christmas to you all.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message
Hello all.

Thanks for your answers.
This is what I intend to do _in the first instance_:
Wash the pan thoroughly in hot water only.
Dry thoroughly with some kitchen towel.
Put in enough oil to cover the bottom.
Heat to a reasonably high heat.
Drain.
Wipe with some kitchen towel, while still hot.

P.S. I didn't return the pan to Sainsbury as I didn't believe that it was
actually faulty; but I was disappointed with its performance (or lack of
it).
P.P.S. I don't do enough frying to warrant getting a cast iron one.

A Happy Christmas to you all.

Sylvain.

That procedure is only used for a new Wok that does NOT have a non-stick
coating. Heating up oil in a non-stick pan will have no effect as the
actual inside is already coated. If performance is "poor" try increasing
the heat. It all depends what you are cooking of course. If you think that
the heat isn't reaching the inside of the pan due to a defective base, stick
your hand in and see if it is hot!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 12:59:16 GMT, Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

This is what I intend to do _in the first instance_:
Wash the pan thoroughly in hot water only.
Dry thoroughly with some kitchen towel.
Put in enough oil to cover the bottom.
Heat to a reasonably high heat.
Drain.
Wipe with some kitchen towel, while still hot.

It will be very hot... I don't think you need a great deal of oil either
just enough to "wet" the pan. ISTR that you need to keep adding bit of
oil, heating, wiping off until the oil comes of clean not black or
discoloured. Choice of oil is important as well, you need one that will
take a fairly high temperature like sunflower or peanut, not olive.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

P.P.S. I don't do enough frying to warrant getting a cast iron one.

heavy pans dont make good fryers, eg glass and cast iron, as with
frypans one needs to be able to reduce the heat fairly quickly, not 5
minutes later. Heavies are great for sauce making.

Arc sprayed nonstick coatings are a good deal more robust.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"john" wrote in message

[...]

The pan is definitely getting hot.
I'm fond of fried egg sandwiches: I find that when I put some oil in the
pan, it will not "spread" across its surface, but migrate to the edge/s. I
therefore have to break the eggs on these small pools of oil, as if they hit
the hot _dry_ surface of the pan, they will stick. Butter seems to work
better.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 12:59:16 GMT, Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

This is what I intend to do _in the first instance_:
Wash the pan thoroughly in hot water only.
Dry thoroughly with some kitchen towel.
Put in enough oil to cover the bottom.
Heat to a reasonably high heat.
Drain.
Wipe with some kitchen towel, while still hot.

It will be very hot... I don't think you need a great deal of oil either
just enough to "wet" the pan.
ISTR that you need to keep adding bit of
oil, heating, wiping off until the oil comes of clean not black or
discoloured. Choice of oil is important as well, you need one that will
take a fairly high temperature like sunflower or peanut, not olive.

I did use some olive oil this time. But I also have some rapeseed oil; will
that do?
Also, I don't want to damage the coating with too much heat.

Sylvain.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

P.P.S. I don't do enough frying to warrant getting a cast iron one.

heavy pans dont make good fryers, eg glass and cast iron, as with
frypans one needs to be able to reduce the heat fairly quickly, not 5
minutes later. Heavies are great for sauce making.

Arc sprayed nonstick coatings are a good deal more robust.

I'm reluctant to get rid of that Sainsbury pan; as it still works more or
less, and I don't use it a lot. Mind you, it would be nice if it worked
better.
I watch the two shopping channels on Freeview TV (QVC and Ideal World), and
from time to time one has a really good frying pan on offer made by "Cooks
Essentials". A lot of time and effort is taken to demonstrate this item (and
all others), and that pan performs 100% even without oil. Metal utensils can
be used, and that pan has a lifetime warranty.

Sylvain.

NT

Non-stick frying pan. OFF TOPIC? Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 56 December 29th 06 05:43 PM
Teflon frying pan Don Lee Home Repair 33 February 1st 06 12:29 AM
On Topic: Frying Debris Patrick Conroy Woodworking 1 June 22nd 05 09:51 PM
FA: Electric Hot Glue Frying Pan for attaching waste blocks B Jones Woodturning 6 February 25th 05 09:26 PM
What's to be done with an old frying-pan? D.M. Procida UK diy 44 February 19th 05 11:21 PM