Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Women and thermostats

What is it with women and thermostats?

I have had over a decade long battle now trying to explain the logic that
if the heating is off, then you switch it on, the house will not warm up
any faster if you go around increasing the thermometer settings to their
max setting of 30C.
You just end up too hot.

Do they think that if the boiler knows you are really cold it feels
guilty and digs deep?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
What is it with women and thermostats?

I have had over a decade long battle now trying to explain the logic that
if the heating is off, then you switch it on, the house will not warm up
any faster if you go around increasing the thermometer settings to their
max setting of 30C.
You just end up too hot.

Do they think that if the boiler knows you are really cold it feels
guilty and digs deep?

I suspect they think that having the house over-temperature for a while
will bring *them* up to temperature more quickly. Like, if you were
bringing a pan of water to the boil it would *work* if the pan was kept
at 100 degrees, but it would work *quicker* if the pan was hotter than
that. Kind of.

I used to know someone of the male variety who apparently didn't
understand his car heater/aircon thermostat. When I got into the car I
could see that he had it set to either HI or LO. When he got too hot or
too cold he would swing it all the way through the temperature range to
the other end of the scale.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 18/04/2016 19:38, Mike Barnes wrote:
R D S wrote:
What is it with women and thermostats?

My wife cannot understand that putting the electric blanket on at least
an hour before required does not make the bed any warmer than if it is
on for say 10 minutes, she cannot grasp that it just turns on and off
when it reaches a certain heat.

Dont get me started on pre heated ovens and women.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2016 19:19, R D S wrote:
What is it with women and thermostats?

I have had over a decade long battle now trying to explain the logic that
if the heating is off, then you switch it on, the house will not warm up
any faster if you go around increasing the thermometer settings to their
max setting of 30C.
You just end up too hot.

Do they think that if the boiler knows you are really cold it feels
guilty and digs deep?

Our house is completely TRV. I have managed to educate SWMBO that it is
not a good idea to tinker with the TRVs by more than a degree or so rotation

I nave not won the next battle. Toheat a small amount of milk, a small
pan is correctly chosen but then placed on the largest gas burner with
the flames licking up the sides of the pan -'but the lrger burner must
heat it up quicker!' masy be but with how much wated heat?

A kitchen refurb is planned and I have an eye on replcing the gas hob
with an induction hob.

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 18/04/2016 21:07, Malcolm Race wrote:
A kitchen refurb is planned and I have an eye on replcing the gas hob
with an induction hob.

No No NO! When she burns something on it thats going to be your fault
and of course after a month she will decide she prefers gas!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"R D S" wrote in message
What is it with women and thermostats?

I have had over a decade long battle now trying to explain the logic that
if the heating is off, then you switch it on, the house will not warm up
any faster if you go around increasing the thermometer settings to their
max setting of 30C.
You just end up too hot.

Do they think?

That is the real question.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/16 21:34, ARW wrote:

Do they think?

That is the real question.

Name one matriarchally dominated civilisation that has lasted long
enough to leave a trace.

You can take the woman out of the home, but you cant take the home out
of the woman.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2016 19:19, R D S wrote:

Do they think that if the boiler knows you are really cold it feels
guilty and digs deep?

It could be perfectly rational behaviour when you bear in mind there are
a lot of thick men out there (not here of course)

1. Most women need a higher temperature than most men do in order to
feel comfortable.

2. Most women know that most men passing a thermostat will turn it down.

3. But if they turn the thermostat up really high there's a chance the
men will only turn it down a bit

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2016 19:19, R D S wrote:
Do they think that if the boiler knows you are really cold it feels
guilty and digs deep?

Ours does.

When it gets close to set temperature it reduces the burn cycle (it's
oil, can't modulate) to try to get it to hit a steady temperature. Seems
to do it quite well. Shame the thermostat is on an uninsulated external
wall - must get around to moving it!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 19:38:36 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

I used to know someone of the male variety who apparently didn't
understand his car heater/aircon thermostat.

I got in the car the other day (lunchtime), turned the key in the
ignition and immediately dived into the brace position.

It was OK though, a jet plane wasn't crash landing on the roof, the
missus had used the car in the morning, and had shoved the heater temp up
to it's max, and god love it, the car was giving it its best shot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
What is it with women and thermostats?

They view them as a rotary on/off device.

I wrote once many years ago that car makers could save a fortune if they
stopped fitting expensive HVAC controls and just painted buttons and
dials onto the dash while setting the system to just pour hot/cold air
(depending on season) at the windscreen at fill tilt. The average owner
doesn't seem to care or want to understand how it works so just stabs
randomly at buttons anyway, so there'd be no net loss.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes posted

I used to know someone of the male variety who apparently didn't
understand his car heater/aircon thermostat. When I got into the car I
could see that he had it set to either HI or LO. When he got too hot or
too cold he would swing it all the way through the temperature range to
the other end of the scale.

That is precisely what my wife does. She even does it when I'm driving,
so you end up sitting in a 30degC greenhouse trying to stay awake at the
wheel.

--
Les
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 08:42:32 +0100, Scott M wrote:

R D S wrote:
What is it with women and thermostats?

They view them as a rotary on/off device.

I wrote once many years ago that car makers could save a fortune if they
stopped fitting expensive HVAC controls and just painted buttons and
dials onto the dash while setting the system to just pour hot/cold air
(depending on season) at the windscreen at fill tilt. The average owner
doesn't seem to care or want to understand how it works so just stabs
randomly at buttons anyway, so there'd be no net loss.

In the stores at work: 'stat being replaced with centrally controlled
system. Leccies worried about the female workers complaining about the
temperature all the while.
I told them to leave the 'stat there and say nowt. Worked well - 'stat was
turned up and down and the women were happy.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
What is it with women and thermostats?

They view them as a rotary on/off device.

I wrote once many years ago that car makers could save a fortune if
they stopped fitting expensive HVAC controls and just painted buttons
and dials onto the dash while setting the system to just pour hot/cold
air (depending on season) at the windscreen at fill tilt. The average
owner doesn't seem to care or want to understand how it works so just
stabs randomly at buttons anyway, so there'd be no net loss.

In the stores at work: 'stat being replaced with centrally controlled
system. Leccies worried about the female workers complaining about the
temperature all the while.
I told them to leave the 'stat there and say nowt. Worked well - 'stat
was turned up and down and the women were happy.

I could do that at home. Wireless 'stat' somewhere hidden. Non-functional
one on the wall. Yes!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 09:08:23 +0100, Big Les Wade wrote:

Mike Barnes posted

I used to know someone of the male variety who apparently didn't
understand his car heater/aircon thermostat. When I got into the car I
could see that he had it set to either HI or LO. When he got too hot or
too cold he would swing it all the way through the temperature range to
the other end of the scale.

That is precisely what my wife does. She even does it when I'm driving,
so you end up sitting in a 30degC greenhouse trying to stay awake at the
wheel.

It's not perfect, but my car has 'mono' and 'stereo' settings. So I can
keep the air my side at a different temperature.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2016 19:19, R D S wrote:
What is it with women and thermostats?

snip

Women are endothermic, particularly nocturnally. That is the only
reason men exist.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
What is it with women and thermostats?

They view them as a rotary on/off device.

I wrote once many years ago that car makers could save a fortune if they
stopped fitting expensive HVAC controls and just painted buttons and
dials onto the dash while setting the system to just pour hot/cold air
(depending on season) at the windscreen at fill tilt. The average owner
doesn't seem to care or want to understand how it works so just stabs
randomly at buttons anyway, so there'd be no net loss.

In the stores at work: 'stat being replaced with centrally controlled
system. Leccies worried about the female workers complaining about the
temperature all the while.
I told them to leave the 'stat there and say nowt. Worked well - 'stat was
turned up and down and the women were happy.

I must be fortunate then that mine is (still) going though 'the
change' and rarely wants anywhere to be any hotter than I do. ;-)

We don't have central heating (in this solid 9" brick walled, EOT
house) and haven't had any heating (at all) on in the bedroom for a
couple of years now.

The only problem I have on the colder days is getting warm quick
enough once we first get into bed (by cuddling) before 'she'
overheats! I know there are others ways but sometimes *I'm* tired ...
weg

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/16 09:08, Big Les Wade wrote:
Mike Barnes posted

I used to know someone of the male variety who apparently didn't
understand his car heater/aircon thermostat. When I got into the car I
could see that he had it set to either HI or LO. When he got too hot
or too cold he would swing it all the way through the temperature
range to the other end of the scale.

That is precisely what my wife does. She even does it when I'm driving,
so you end up sitting in a 30degC greenhouse trying to stay awake at the
wheel.

Simple rule: driver is in charge, passengers may ask for stuff.

Non compliance means they don't get driven... At the end of the day, me
staying awake and alert overrides anybody else's rights to
hot/cold/radio/windows.

In practise it works out fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2016 21:07, Malcolm Race wrote:

I nave not won the next battle. Toheat a small amount of milk, a small
pan is correctly chosen but then placed on the largest gas burner with
the flames licking up the sides of the pan -'but the lrger burner must
heat it up quicker!' masy be but with how much wated heat?

A kitchen refurb is planned and I have an eye on replcing the gas hob
with an induction hob.

Use a microwave. Milk in container in which it is to be consumed means
no pan to wash afterwards. And you can go to the loo with no chance of
the milk 'boiling over'.

It's the modern way y'know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Office Conference Rooms with Air Conditioning are more interesting. The
setting will be 30 or 15.
some women have been know to bring in a fan heater.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Office Conference Rooms with Air Conditioning are more interesting. The
setting will be 30 or 15.
some women have been know to bring in a fan heater.

Somehow the idea of women wearing warmer clothing to make up for their
relative coldness has never caught on. Too simple, I suppose.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Non compliance means they don't get driven... At the end of the day, me
staying awake and alert overrides anybody else's rights to
hot/cold/radio/windows.

What happened to the ability to have fresh air at face level, but
still have warm feet?

It seems simple to bleed air off before the heater matrix, but I
guess it costs money they would rather spend on "sexier", or more
marketable, details.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Robin" wrote in message

It could be perfectly rational behaviour when you bear in mind there are a
lot of thick men out there (not here of course)

Never read a post from Mr Pounder then?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 April 2016 18:38:48 UTC+1, Mike Barnes wrote:
Somehow the idea of women wearing warmer clothing to make up for their
relative coldness has never caught on. Too simple, I suppose.

I blame television.

None of the women on Sex Box on ITV were wearing a woolly pully.

I suppose TV studios are pretty warm though.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"pamela" wrote in message
On 19:19 18 Apr 2016, R D S wrote:

What is it with women and thermostats?

I have had over a decade long battle now trying to explain the
logic that if the heating is off, then you switch it on, the
house will not warm up any faster if you go around increasing
the thermometer settings to their max setting of 30C.
You just end up too hot.

Do they think that if the boiler knows you are really cold it
feels guilty and digs deep?

As it happens, mister, our Ideal Isar boiler's thermostat makes the
boiler heat up faster if the water temperature is lower.

So if you turn up the thermostat well beyond the temperature you want
then the water to the radiators heats up much faster.

Some men may not understand this sophistication but most women will
get it straight away. :-)

Having said that, sometimes the boiler seems to have a mind of it's
own and needs switching off completely to reset something. I'm told
it's not the world's greatest boiler.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"pamela" wrote in message

Some men may not understand this sophistication but most women will
get it straight away. :-)

Get what:-)?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 23:03:03 +0100, Robin wrote:

1. Most women need a higher temperature than most men do in order to
feel comfortable.

2. Most women know that most men passing a thermostat will turn it down.

3. But if they turn the thermostat up really high there's a chance the
men will only turn it down a bit

The landlady of some digs I was in when I first left home to get work
was the opposite.

She was always turning thermostats down, at least in the rooms we
inhabited like the lounge/common room.
Eventually one of the lads who had access to cans of freezer spray at
work brought one back every so often. A good spray on the thermostat
so it registered the room was exceptionally cold used to ensure the
heating ran long enough that at least we could watch the telly with
our coats off.

I do wish the car could have an option in its electronic brains that
that sets the heating requirements on a hidden menu and disables the
normal controls on the heating and AC console. The missus could then
fiddle to her hearts content. God knows what combination she set one
night soon after we set off but it caused the interior of the screen
to mist up so fast that I had to stick my head out of the window to
bring the car to stop in a safe position.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Scott M

I wrote once many years ago that car makers could save a fortune if
they stopped fitting expensive HVAC controls and just painted buttons
and dials onto the dash while setting the system to just pour hot/cold
air (depending on season) at the windscreen at fill tilt. The average
owner doesn't seem to care or want to understand how it works so just
stabs randomly at buttons anyway, so there'd be no net loss.

Ha! What is a waste of time are these heater controls that you can set
by temperature. Sounds nice and modern and space age, but what actually
happens is that if I have the temperature set to say 25, and I want it
at 23 because I'm just a tad warm, it immediately pours out ice-cold
air in an attempt to get the temperature to 23 as fast as possible.

Depends on the maker. I've always found BMW's systems to be absolutely
spot on. Nicely controlled, no overshooting, no dumping of super
hot/cold air etc. Pretty well set & forget. Maybe half a degree higher
in winter compared to summer but that's it. OTOH, my old (2002!) Jag
system was hopeless. It had all manner of solar & cabin sensors but
couldn't make a decent fist of keeping a steady temperature to save its
life.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
Office Conference Rooms with Air Conditioning are more interesting. The
setting will be 30 or 15.
some women have been know to bring in a fan heater.

Somehow the idea of women wearing warmer clothing to make up for their
relative coldness has never caught on. Too simple, I suppose.

I occasionally do an equipment check/inventory in a call centre. It's
always blazing hot and after 5 minutes of light walking round or peering
above ceiling tiles I am wondering just how much I can get away with
talking off. But then I'll look around and be guaranteed to spot a woman
pulling on another cardigan or wrapping round their scarf extra tightly.
Argh.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2016 10:20, Syd Rumpo wrote:
Women are endothermic, particularly nocturnally. That is the only
reason men exist.

endothermic

1. Chemistry
(of a reaction or process) accompanied by or requiring the
absorption of heat.
(of a compound) requiring a net input of heat for its formation from
its constituent elements.
2. Zoology
(of an animal) dependent on or capable of the internal generation of
heat.

I suspect you mean they are ectothermic - needing external heat. My
wife, however, is definitely endothermic. Nice on a cold night!

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2016 20:51, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 19/04/2016 10:20, Syd Rumpo wrote:
Women are endothermic, particularly nocturnally. That is the only
reason men exist.

endothermic

1. Chemistry
(of a reaction or process) accompanied by or requiring the
absorption of heat.
(of a compound) requiring a net input of heat for its formation from
its constituent elements.
2. Zoology
(of an animal) dependent on or capable of the internal generation of
heat.

I suspect you mean they are ectothermic - needing external heat. My
wife, however, is definitely endothermic. Nice on a cold night!

Andy

I wasn't aware of the zoological meaning, thanks. Ectothermic it is.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC writes:
In the stores at work: 'stat being replaced with centrally controlled
system. Leccies worried about the female workers complaining about the
temperature all the while.
I told them to leave the 'stat there and say nowt. Worked well - 'stat was
turned up and down and the women were happy.

Reminds me of a conversation on the radio probably ~20 years ago
with the traffic controller in New York...

"We disconnected all the pedestrian buttons on the traffic lights
10 years ago - we don't want pedestrians messing up the signal timings
and making the jams worse."

Interviewer:
"But there's a crossing button on the new lights near my block?"

"Oh sure - we have to fit them so there's something for the
pedestrians to press, but they aren't connected to anything."

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Andrew Gabriel
wrote:

Interviewer:
"But there's a crossing button on the new lights near my block?"

If this is a statement on the part of the interviewer, and not a
question, WTF is there a question mark at the end of it?

It is a statement, but spoken by the interviewer as a question, so the
question mark makes perfect sense, even though the grammar may not.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Apr 2016 09:37:13 GMT, Huge wrote:

I've always believed that all the pedestrian buttons do is switch
on the "Wait" light. And possibly queue up a red cycle to be run at
some point.

Trouble is each set of Pelicans is setup up differently, some are
dreadful. Light traffic, press button wait, no traffic, so cross road
anyway, Pelican then stops traffic but everyone has crossed... Others
press button, stop sequence initiated straight away or within a few
tens of seconds.

Pushing it again certainly has no effect.

Why should it?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
What is it with women and thermostats?

I have had over a decade long battle now trying to explain the logic that
if the heating is off, then you switch it on, the house will not warm up
any faster if you go around increasing the thermometer settings to their
max setting of 30C.
You just end up too hot.

Do they think that if the boiler knows you are really cold it feels
guilty and digs deep?

They probably keep pressing the traffic light button over and over as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-04-19, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
PeterC writes:
[...]

some point. Pushing it again certainly has no effect.

It send one signal on the first push, latches a relay which stays on
(subsequent pushes do nothing till the next cycle)then it does what was
intended and then resets for the next cycle
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Apr 2016 18:23:04 GMT, Huge wrote:

Pushing it again certainly has no effect.

Why should it?

Lots of people waiting, therefore initiate crossing cycle faster?

Not open to abuse at all, oh no not at all.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
R D S wrote:
What is it with women and thermostats?

I have had over a decade long battle now trying to explain the logic
that
if the heating is off, then you switch it on, the house will not warm up
any faster if you go around increasing the thermometer settings to their
max setting of 30C.
You just end up too hot.

Do they think that if the boiler knows you are really cold it feels
guilty and digs deep?

They probably keep pressing the traffic light button over and over as
well.

I have found that fitting a "guesswork" Horstmann thermostat
has stopped her from complaining about the temperatures. (Unless we have
been cooking, which confuses any thermostat IME)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om, F
Murtz writes
R D S wrote:
What is it with women and thermostats?

I have had over a decade long battle now trying to explain the logic that
if the heating is off, then you switch it on, the house will not warm up
any faster if you go around increasing the thermometer settings to their
max setting of 30C.
You just end up too hot.

Do they think that if the boiler knows you are really cold it feels
guilty and digs deep?

They probably keep pressing the traffic light button over and over as well.

And the Up button on the lift when they want to go down.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2016 23:10, bert wrote:
In article om, F
Murtz writes
R D S wrote:
What is it with women and thermostats?

I have had over a decade long battle now trying to explain the logic
that
if the heating is off, then you switch it on, the house will not warm up
any faster if you go around increasing the thermometer settings to their
max setting of 30C.
You just end up too hot.

Do they think that if the boiler knows you are really cold it feels
guilty and digs deep?

They probably keep pressing the traffic light button over and over as
well.

And the Up button on the lift when they want to go down.

Is this a euphemism? I can't be sure.

Cheers
--
Syd

CH thermostats Stephen[_6_] UK diy 20 March 31st 09 10:58 PM
Two thermostats TheOldFellow UK diy 1 March 13th 08 06:59 PM
03/17/07 Reuters: Two bodies found in Mosul: The bodies of two men and two women were found in various districts of Mosul on Friday. Two infants were found alive beside the two dead women, police said. BGKM Woodworking 0 March 17th 07 08:14 PM
Thermostats again Budgie UK diy 8 November 29th 06 08:52 PM
Two, yes two thermostats. kibbleman Home Repair 9 November 15th 05 02:54 PM