kibbleman

Default Two, yes two thermostats.

Saw a question from last year about using two thermostats and the
person was told to do ten different things other than what she wanted.
I NEED to use 2, and here is why. I have a recording studio where the
therm controls were mounted inside the room with the recording
equiptment. In the summer the therm turns on the air to cool this room
down because it can get over 85 pretty quick. The room with musicians
stays cool all the time. Now, in the winter, we have to move the therm
to the musicians room or the heat never goes on and it gets cold. After
a couple of years of moving this unit I decided to buy another
thermostat (I already ran two sets of wires to the heater) These rooms
are sealed off from one another with doubled drywall, staggered studs,
seperate entrys and sand between their isolated frames. so blocking
vents and all that stuff is not going to work. Was considering a 4pdt
switch to go from one to the other, but maybe there is another way?
Right now I just switch the wires inside the heater, but They will wear
out if I keep doing that. Thanks

Not sure if I understand. You have one heating/cooling source that you
want to control from two locations. One in the summer the other in the
winter. If you buy a two thermostats that have a on/off switch and
heat/cool switch (most programable thermostates have these) you can
turn off the thermostat when necessary while leaving the other on. You
don't mention the type of heat. This might not work for electric heat
baseboard heat but should work for heat suppy by a furnance.

"ten different things"? What's that got to do with anything here?

What is "the room with musicians"? Some sort of bullpen?

You need a switch to duplicate what you're doing manually. Could even
use a relay.
Just label settings winter/summer, and leave notes about what you did
for future residents.

hvactech2

On 14 Nov 2005 11:03:23 -0800, "kibbleman"
wrote:

[...]

Why not use a wireless thermostat? then wherever you have the remote
it senses the temp in that room.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Joseph Meehan

kibbleman wrote:
[...]

What you need is a professional HVAC tech to take a look at the system
you have and determine if there is anyway to get it to function the way you
want. You may need a second system, or at least as second AC unit.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

mm

wrote:

[...]

I"m not sure why you seem to thing a 4pdt is not good enough. But....
If you run twice as many wires (maybe just 2 or 3 more?) to one
of your two thermostat locations, you can put the 4pdt there, instead
of by the furnace.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
RP

kibbleman wrote:

[...]

You can wire them both in simultaneously, use a three way switch near
the unit to swap from one red to the other. The other wires don't need
to be switched.

oR1--to t-stat1
R from unit to 3-way Common--o----
oR2--to t-stat2

Ideally you should zone the system. As an add-on option, You can install
thermostatically controlled dampers in the duct system. The dampers are
controlled by a separate stat(s). Typically, with two zones, you'll want
the system stat in the zone with the least airflow (warmest in summer
and coldest in winter), with the damper's stat and damper controlling
airflow into the higher capacity zone.

An improvement over this is to get the ducts balanced. In some
situations this is impossible due to greatly varying load in specific
zones. This is common in many buildings, and the tenants often have the
same complaint. The add-on dampers work sufficiently well, and are
typically much less expensive than the other acceptable alternatives. HTH.

hvacrmedic

No

I think a lot of people with 1 zone systems that cannot be easily balanced
would benefit from a simple solution.

Two thermostats - No - really two temp sensors and one set the temp thingy.
For cooling, set the max temp, one room will obviously be cooler. For
heating, set the min temp, one room will be warmer.

Many houses 'round here are configured with only one zone. Mine is a 2900 sq
ft 2 story house. I have bedroom set up as a home office/classroom with 3
PCs in it and another basement home office room with 2 PCs in it. Ideally
temp sensors would be placed in the problem rooms as well as one in a
general central location. Set the temp and the system will operate as
described above. No switches, not gadgetry, no x-10, no wireless remotes.
KISS principle should apply for operation.

"kibbleman" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Mikepier

You can put 2 T-stats in parallel. But what will happen is when the
heat kicks on in the musicians area, the control room ( with all the
recording equipment) will also get heat, assuming this is a one zone
system. And the heat will not kick off until the musicians room
temperature is satisfied. Example: if you set the musicians room at 70
degrees, the control room might get as high as 75-80 degrees. If this
does not pose a problem, then it can be done, otherwise you need a
seperate zone for each area.