Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Women and thermostats

Huge wrote:
On 2016-04-20, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 20 Apr 2016 09:37:13 GMT, Huge wrote:

I've always believed that all the pedestrian buttons do is switch
on the "Wait" light. And possibly queue up a red cycle to be run at
some point.

Trouble is each set of Pelicans is setup up differently, some are
dreadful. Light traffic, press button wait, no traffic, so cross road
anyway, Pelican then stops traffic but everyone has crossed... Others
press button, stop sequence initiated straight away or within a few
tens of seconds.

Pushing it again certainly has no effect.

Why should it?

Lots of people waiting, therefore initiate crossing cycle faster?

Does not do anything after the first push.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-04-20, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 20 Apr 2016 09:37:13 GMT, Huge wrote:

I've always believed that all the pedestrian buttons do is switch on
the "Wait" light. And possibly queue up a red cycle to be run at some
point.

Trouble is each set of Pelicans is setup up differently, some are
dreadful. Light traffic, press button wait, no traffic, so cross road
anyway, Pelican then stops traffic but everyone has crossed... Others
press button, stop sequence initiated straight away or within a few
tens of seconds.

Pushing it again certainly has no effect.

Why should it?

Lots of people waiting, therefore initiate crossing cycle faster?

Does not do anything after the first push.

For a moment there I thought you were talking about the women.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2016 17:27, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

Non compliance means they don't get driven... At the end of the day, me
staying awake and alert overrides anybody else's rights to
hot/cold/radio/windows.

What happened to the ability to have fresh air at face level, but
still have warm feet?

It seems simple to bleed air off before the heater matrix, but I
guess it costs money they would rather spend on "sexier", or more
marketable, details.

Chris

That is exactly what I miss. In my Cortina Mk5 (actually a Taunus Mk5 in
disguise) driving days, I regularly used the heater to provide warm air
during the winter, while blowing cold air in my face so as not to start
nodding off with the heat. No car I have driven since then has provided
this feature.

These days I tend to not only use cold air, but even air-con cold air
almost all the time (I can't stand being too hot), but that causes
trouble when my wife and kids are with me on a long journey. I can be
wearing a tee-shirt and be too hot, while they are under blankets or in
coats and complaining of the cold.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2016 09:18, PeterC wrote:
On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 08:42:32 +0100, Scott M wrote:

R D S wrote:
What is it with women and thermostats?

They view them as a rotary on/off device.

I wrote once many years ago that car makers could save a fortune if they
stopped fitting expensive HVAC controls and just painted buttons and
dials onto the dash while setting the system to just pour hot/cold air
(depending on season) at the windscreen at fill tilt. The average owner
doesn't seem to care or want to understand how it works so just stabs
randomly at buttons anyway, so there'd be no net loss.

In the stores at work: 'stat being replaced with centrally controlled
system. Leccies worried about the female workers complaining about the
temperature all the while.
I told them to leave the 'stat there and say nowt. Worked well - 'stat was
turned up and down and the women were happy.

That's not the right way, as the men will be too hot. The only fair way
is to have it cold enough for the one person who doesn't want the heat
and everyone else can wear more clothes if they want - the reverse tends
to cause problems and arrests

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2016 12:33, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 20 Apr 2016 09:37:13 GMT, Huge wrote:

I've always believed that all the pedestrian buttons do is switch
on the "Wait" light. And possibly queue up a red cycle to be run at
some point.

Trouble is each set of Pelicans is setup up differently, some are
dreadful. Light traffic, press button wait, no traffic, so cross road
anyway, Pelican then stops traffic but everyone has crossed

We have that at a local crossing to the station, park and car park. As a
driver I get stuck at it frequently when the pedestrian has already
crossed and as a pedestrian I also have to wait ages for the green man -
often crossing in a gap in the traffic first.

Not only that, but it has cost a fortune. There was a zebra crossing
there for decades - perfect, as there was no unnecessary hold-up to
either pedestrians or drivers - but they decided we must have a puffin
crossing (which totally fails to identify whether or not the pedestrian
is still there). This meant not only changing the crossing, but due to
the proximity to the car-park exit and drivers being unable to see the
lights due to their own roof-line, the whole crossing had to be moved a
few yards, with new dropped kerbs, new tactile paving, new electrical
supply and removal of the old ones.

A couple of years passed and they replaced the puffin with a toucan
(still fails to detect pedestrians), which for some reason meant moving
the crossing a few more yards at even more cost.

I still cannot understand why a toucan is considered a good idea, as the
road is too narrow to add cycle lanes and therefore any cyclists in a
position to press the buttons to cross would be illegally cycling on the
pavement!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2016 23:10, bert wrote:
In article om, F
Murtz writes
R D S wrote:
What is it with women and thermostats?

I have had over a decade long battle now trying to explain the logic
that
if the heating is off, then you switch it on, the house will not warm up
any faster if you go around increasing the thermometer settings to their
max setting of 30C.
You just end up too hot.

Do they think that if the boiler knows you are really cold it feels
guilty and digs deep?

They probably keep pressing the traffic light button over and over as
well.

And the Up button on the lift when they want to go down.

Ah, that has just brought to mind one odd thing about the lift at work.
You will have noticed that most lifts pause after you have pressed a
floor button before closing the doors - apparently a minimum 8 second
delay on door closing is required for the disabled. I have never
understood why this delay is applied in this way, as getting out it
makes sense, but in means you are already in if you can press the
button! Anyway, one of a pair of old lifts at work had a second, lower,
control panel added. The buttons on the "new" panel have an 8 second
delay before the door closed, while the old, high, ones are immediate. 8
seconds is not long at all, but it is irritating when everyone is
already in the lift.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

that has just brought to mind one odd thing about the lift at work.

Lift control systems seem to have odd logic; a nearby lift between a
supermarket and its basement car park, is fairly new with two cars, if I
was programming it when it was idle I'd make sure one car was sitting at
each floor waiting, but no, this thing will quite happily wait with both
cars at the same floor (either of them) ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

My car has that.
Separate controls for upper and lower levels.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 09:56:48 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:

that has just brought to mind one odd thing about the lift at work.

Lift control systems seem to have odd logic; a nearby lift between a
supermarket and its basement car park, is fairly new with two cars, if I
was programming it when it was idle I'd make sure one car was sitting at
each floor waiting, but no, this thing will quite happily wait with both
cars at the same floor (either of them) ...

The problem with doing that is that greeies will complain about the waste
of energy.

This is the solution (safe link to Wikipedia):

https://goo.gl/j738jU

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

that has just brought to mind one odd thing about the lift at work.

Lift control systems seem to have odd logic; a nearby lift between a
supermarket and its basement car park, is fairly new with two cars, if I
was programming it when it was idle I'd make sure one car was sitting at
each floor waiting, but no, this thing will quite happily wait with both
cars at the same floor (either of them) ...

The problem with doing that is that greeies will complain about the waste
of energy.

This is the solution (safe link to Wikipedia):

https://goo.gl/j738jU

Its the bloody talking lifts that drive me round the twist. How many blind people can there be to justify such lunacy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 April 2016 12:33:16 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 20 Apr 2016 09:37:13 GMT, Huge wrote:

I've always believed that all the pedestrian buttons do is switch
on the "Wait" light. And possibly queue up a red cycle to be run at
some point.

Trouble is each set of Pelicans is setup up differently, some are
dreadful. Light traffic, press button wait, no traffic, so cross road
anyway, Pelican then stops traffic but everyone has crossed... Others
press button, stop sequence initiated straight away or within a few
tens of seconds.

Pushing it again certainly has no effect.

Why should it?

I'd have thought in theory lots of pushes might indicate a lot of peole wanting to cross so would acivate a crossing squence more quickly than just one peron waiting at the light. I try to aviod pushing teh button if it appears a break in teh traffic is coming up I can get through, but normall I just wait for a mum with push chair who don;t think lights apply to them and as they have a kid they just walk across the road and the cars stop.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2016 16:13, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Or one impatient person repeatedly pressing it.

CH thermostats Stephen[_6_] UK diy 20 March 31st 09 10:58 PM
Two thermostats TheOldFellow UK diy 1 March 13th 08 06:59 PM
03/17/07 Reuters: Two bodies found in Mosul: The bodies of two men and two women were found in various districts of Mosul on Friday. Two infants were found alive beside the two dead women, police said. BGKM Woodworking 0 March 17th 07 08:14 PM
Thermostats again Budgie UK diy 8 November 29th 06 08:52 PM
Two, yes two thermostats. kibbleman Home Repair 9 November 15th 05 02:54 PM