Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HOW much for a desk reading lamp??

https://www.seriousreaders.com/produ...W2NhoCYVbw_wcB

£349.99 for a 35W halogen reading lamp. I wonder if Russ Andrews owns the
company?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
https://www.seriousreaders.com/produ...W2NhoCYVbw_wcB

£349.99 for a 35W halogen reading lamp. I wonder if Russ Andrews owns the
company?

And that 35w halogen produces 10 times more light than a 60w bulb. Even
more Russ Andrews.

--
*The statement below is true.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 16 April 2016 15:05:31 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
£349.99 for a 35W halogen reading lamp. I wonder if Russ Andrews owns the
company?

I paid £3 for my Anglepoise (tm) in a charity shop.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
https://www.seriousreaders.com/produ...W2NhoCYVbw_wcB

£349.99 for a 35W halogen reading lamp. I wonder if Russ Andrews owns the
company?

And that 35w halogen produces 10 times more light than a 60w bulb. Even
more Russ Andrews.

Oh well, you can still buy halogens for another 2 years anyway...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/16 18:02, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
https://www.seriousreaders.com/produ...W2NhoCYVbw_wcB

£349.99 for a 35W halogen reading lamp. I wonder if Russ Andrews owns the
company?

And that 35w halogen produces 10 times more light than a 60w bulb. Even
more Russ Andrews.

Oh well, you can still buy halogens for another 2 years anyway...

I have to say that compared with CFLs, I am happy to go all LED these days

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 14:02:08 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

https://www.seriousreaders.com/produ...W2NhoCYVbw_wcB

£349.99 for a 35W halogen reading lamp. I wonder if Russ Andrews owns the
company?

Tim

I see it's got ophthalmic healing properties too.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 14:02:08 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

https://www.seriousreaders.com/produ...n-heavyweight-

table-light?
gclid=CjwKEAjwxce4BRDE2dG4ueLArHMSJADStCqMVAhJKlbd y9bXHrvSKD3hM99z3Tm8D7jextY-
tMW2NhoCYVbw_wcB

£349.99 for a 35W halogen reading lamp. I wonder if Russ Andrews owns
the company?

Tim

No. He'd be charging over £1000 just for the mains lead, get get higher
quality light!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does seem a little odd, who would read under a halogen light in the first
place?
Even RNIBs lights with different colour temperatures are less than 100
notes for the most all singing and dancing ones. Most use LEDs or cfls with
special phosphers.

There is even a battery or mains one as I recall.

Of course this particular one might be an antique?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Tim+" wrote in message
https://www.seriousreaders.com/produ...W2NhoCYVbw_wcB

£349.99 for a 35W halogen reading lamp. I wonder if Russ Andrews owns the
company?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 18:08:25 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 16/04/16 18:02, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
https://www.seriousreaders.com/produ...W2NhoCYVbw_wcB

£349.99 for a 35W halogen reading lamp. I wonder if Russ Andrews owns the
company?

And that 35w halogen produces 10 times more light than a 60w bulb. Even
more Russ Andrews.

Oh well, you can still buy halogens for another 2 years anyway...

I have to say that compared with CFLs, I am happy to go all LED these days

Same here!
At the other end of the scale, my 'desk' (actually an old machine lamp
mounted on a pivot on the filing cabinet) lamp cost nowt from work, went:
60W GLS - 11W CFL (needed a mod. and este sring) - 3.5W, 250 lm LED - GU10
adaptor+4W, 350 LM, 400K, 120 deg. MR16 LED and is bloody brilliant!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

https://www.seriousreaders.com/produ...W2NhoCYVbw_wcB

£349.99 for a 35W halogen reading lamp. I wonder if Russ Andrews owns the
company?

Tim

I see it's got ophthalmic healing properties too.

oh aye?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 09:51:52 +0100, PeterC wrote:

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 18:08:25 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 16/04/16 18:02, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

I obtained a used Luxo lamp in 1974. It died about three years ago and I
bought a replacement - cost me about £90. (this is with a desk clamp)

The switch failed after about 18 months - a silly one-way rotary device.
Replaced that with an inline switch.

Bought two other Luxos 12 years ago (quite a lot cheaper) and they are
still going strong. Unlike the latest one, they are not ES either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Does seem a little odd, who would read under a halogen light in the
first place?

Halogen still provides the best working light of any at a reasonable cost,
excepting energy use. Which really isn't going to be much of an issue when
we're talking 35w or so.

Even RNIBs lights with different colour temperatures are less than 100
notes for the most all singing and dancing ones. Most use LEDs or cfls
with special phosphers.

The needs of those with sight problems may well be different from those
with 'normal' vision.

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
I have to say that compared with CFLs, I am happy to go all LED these
days

Same here! At the other end of the scale, my 'desk' (actually an old
machine lamp mounted on a pivot on the filing cabinet) lamp cost nowt
from work, went: 60W GLS - 11W CFL (needed a mod. and este sring) -
3.5W, 250 lm LED - GU10 adaptor+4W, 350 LM, 400K, 120 deg. MR16 LED and
is bloody brilliant!

I have a 100w (approx) mains halogen in the anglepoise on my electronics
workbench. Ideal for examining PCBs etc for problems. If I could find an
LED which would produce the same light output and quality, I'd be happy.

I'm only interested in saving running costs if I can get the same results.
The light is the more important thing to me.

--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
https://www.seriousreaders.com/produ...W2NhoCYVbw_wcB

£349.99 for a 35W halogen reading lamp. I wonder if Russ Andrews owns the
company?

And that 35w halogen produces 10 times more light than a 60w bulb. Even
more Russ Andrews.

It's 10 times brighter than the 60W bulb that is 10 times further away from
the book you are reading:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No, just a blatant attempt to con vulnerable scared people into parting
with silly amounts of money for a light.

This annoys me much more that Russ Andrews who is only selling tat to
audiophiles/audiophools who have far more money that sense and are
knowingly buying "luxuries".

Tim

Brian Gaff wrote:
Does seem a little odd, who would read under a halogen light in the first
place?
Even RNIBs lights with different colour temperatures are less than 100
notes for the most all singing and dancing ones. Most use LEDs or cfls with
special phosphers.

There is even a battery or mains one as I recall.

Of course this particular one might be an antique?
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 11:18:33 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Does seem a little odd, who would read under a halogen light in the
first place?

Halogen still provides the best working light of any.

There fixed that for you ;-)

excepting energy use. Which really isn't going to be much of an issue when
we're talking 35w or so.

Even RNIBs lights with different colour temperatures are less than 100
notes for the most all singing and dancing ones. Most use LEDs or cfls
with special phosphers.

The needs of those with sight problems may well be different from those
with 'normal' vision.

Phosphor for fluro has a few years more research behind it, LEDs can have a heat and toasted phosphor issue, there are a number of remote phosphor lamps about.

Halogen has a considerably more continuous spectrum and understood colour rendering...

Not to say that some people don`t have a genuine sensitivity to some sources:

https://chuffed.org/project/lightaware

The area inhabited, probably under a rock , by `you cannot be` Serious Readers is also home to Dr Ott

http://www.ottlite.com/

Personally for a premium halogen lamp , do actually like Solux, output altered by the dichro reflector

http://svenlight.co.uk/index.php?id_...oller=category

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pamela wrote:
On 17:30 16 Apr 2016, wrote:

On Saturday, 16 April 2016 15:05:31 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
ï½£349.99 for a 35W halogen reading lamp. I wonder if Russ
Andrews owns t

he
company?

I paid ï½£3 for my Anglepoise (tm) in a charity shop.

Owain

A genuine Anglepoise costs a fortune these days.

It seems that £349 for a desk lamp isn't that dear.

http://www.dyson.co.uk/jakedysonligh...ck-silver.aspx

The floor lamp is much more!

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 12:07:44 PM UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
pamela wrote:
On 17:30 16 Apr 2016, wrote:

On Saturday, 16 April 2016 15:05:31 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
ï½£349.99 for a 35W halogen reading lamp. I wonder if Russ
Andrews owns t
he
company?

I paid ï½£3 for my Anglepoise (tm) in a charity shop.

Owain

A genuine Anglepoise costs a fortune these days.

It seems that £349 for a desk lamp isn't that dear.

http://www.dyson.co.uk/jakedysonligh...k-silver..aspx

The floor lamp is much more!

Tim

See a couple of problems with their claims:

****Based on Tolomeo lettura halo aluminium reading lamp using a 70W halogen bulb at a cost of £2.29, electricity cost of £0.10 per kWh and 154,000 hours duration

eh? comparing it against this completely different Artemide lamp :

http://www.artemide.com/prodotti/sch...odotto=1845242

This is all clearly nonsense as by time get to page 2, Feautures , lost 10,000 hours...

Stays bright for 144,000 Hours €*

€*Calculated lifetime based on LED L70.

But which is it?

http://www.dyson.co.uk/lighting/csys.aspx

same paragraph:

Heat pipe technology cools LEDs to sustain brightness over
154,000 hours***.
Stays bright for 144,000 hours***

Problem being of course that L70, Life 70 point where output has dropped to 70% of intial output is quoted by major LED manufacturers, in ideal conditions, at 50,000 hours.

Claiming L70 more than 3 times this is acting as a stranger to the truth.....

Personally think Dyson have some questions to answer.

0800 298 0298

Our UK based Helpline is open from 8.00am to 8.00pm Monday - Friday and 8.00am to 6.00pm Saturday and Sunday.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Does seem a little odd, who would read under a halogen light in the first
place?
Even RNIBs lights with different colour temperatures are less than 100
notes for the most all singing and dancing ones. Most use LEDs or cfls with
special phosphers.

There is even a battery or mains one as I recall.

Of course this particular one might be an antique?
Brian

A fool and his money are soon parted.

I've often been highly suspicious why their ads have no prices on them. Now I know why.