Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Make a desk lamp cordless

Using a string of LEDs and a 9-volt battery

http://www.viewalongtheway.com/2012/...lamp-cordless/

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ss-732060-.htm
DA wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Using a string of LEDs and a 9-volt battery

Sounds like a perfect application for rechargeable batteries - that 9V battery is not going to last long - it's a puny 300mAh source at this rate of discharge:
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/522.pdf

2ft @ approx 1 LED per 1" = 24 LEDs x 20mA each = 480mA draw - approx 37 minutes of working time per a $1.50 battery.

There seems to be a ton of space in the base of that lamp - definitely enough for a large(r) battery pack and a charger. Would still need a cord though, at least temporary for charging. But I imagine replacing batteries at that rate will get old really quick.

--

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT

Posted to alt.home.repair

DA wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Using a string of LEDs and a 9-volt battery

Sounds like a perfect application for rechargeable batteries - that
9V battery is not going to last long - it's a puny 300mAh source at
this rate of discharge:
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/522.pdf

2ft @ approx 1 LED per 1" = 24 LEDs x 20mA each = 480mA draw - approx
37 minutes of working time per a $1.50 battery.

There seems to be a ton of space in the base of that lamp -
definitely enough for a large(r) battery pack and a charger. Would
still need a cord though, at least temporary for charging. But I
imagine replacing batteries at that rate will get old really quick.

Yeah. I saw the article as more of a "concept piece."

Posted to alt.home.repair

DA wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Using a string of LEDs and a 9-volt battery

Sounds like a perfect application for rechargeable batteries - that 9V
battery is not going to last long - it's a puny 300mAh source at this rate of discharge:
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/522.pdf

2ft @ approx 1 LED per 1" = 24 LEDs x 20mA each = 480mA draw - approx 37
minutes of working time per a $1.50 battery.

There seems to be a ton of space in the base of that lamp - definitely
enough for a large(r) battery pack and a charger. Would still need a cord
though, at least temporary for charging. But I imagine replacing
batteries at that rate will get old really quick.

I got a strip similar. I don't know where you got specs. The resistors
limit current with 12 volts. 9 volts will draw less current.

I just don't have time to fool with yet, but they put out some light. I
just looked up. I can run some on top of the window frame. Cool. I also got
dimmers and stuff. Mine are really warm white which I like.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 8:02*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Using a string of LEDs and a 9-volt battery

http://www.viewalongtheway.com/2012/...-make-any-lamp...

It's easier than one would think to wirelessly transfer [safely
transfer] more than 1500W in a 'specially' prepared room over a
distance of 15+ feet. Then you could place your coffee maker almost
ANYWHERE in the room. A 100W bulb would be a piece of cake in
comparison.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
On Jan 11, 8:02 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Using a string of LEDs and a 9-volt battery

http://www.viewalongtheway.com/2012/...-make-any-lamp...

It's easier than one would think to wirelessly transfer [safely
transfer] more than 1500W in a 'specially' prepared room over a
distance of 15+ feet. Then you could place your coffee maker almost
ANYWHERE in the room. A 100W bulb would be a piece of cake in
comparison.

Easy.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/wec.shtml

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 7:03*pm, gregz wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
On Jan 11, 8:02 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Using a string of LEDs and a 9-volt battery

http://www.viewalongtheway.com/2012/...-make-any-lamp....

It's easier than one would think to wirelessly transfer [safely
transfer] more than 1500W in a 'specially' prepared room over a
distance of 15+ feet. Then you could place your coffee maker almost
ANYWHERE in the room. A 100W bulb would be a piece of cake in
comparison.

Easy.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/wec.shtml

Greg

Thanks, I needed that laugh this morning.