Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Make a desk lamp cordless

DA wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ss-732060-.htm
DA wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Using a string of LEDs and a 9-volt battery

Sounds like a perfect application for rechargeable batteries - that 9V
battery is not going to last long - it's a puny 300mAh source at this rate of discharge:
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/522.pdf

2ft @ approx 1 LED per 1" = 24 LEDs x 20mA each = 480mA draw - approx 37
minutes of working time per a $1.50 battery.

There seems to be a ton of space in the base of that lamp - definitely
enough for a large(r) battery pack and a charger. Would still need a cord
though, at least temporary for charging. But I imagine replacing
batteries at that rate will get old really quick.

I got a strip similar. I don't know where you got specs. The resistors
limit current with 12 volts. 9 volts will draw less current.

I just don't have time to fool with yet, but they put out some light. I
just looked up. I can run some on top of the window frame. Cool. I also got
dimmers and stuff. Mine are really warm white which I like.

Greg