Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Beko washing machine rattling noise when draining

My missus likes to keep me busy, so a while back she put a tub of cotton
buds in with the washing. They are just the right size to get stuck in
the drum holes, and some even got through. Since then I've found a few
in the filter at the bottom front right-hand side, but I've not seen any
for a few months now. However, the drain pump has started rattling a
bit. I've switched it on with no filter fitted, and it does make the
noise even with nothing stuck in the impeller, and it goes quiet if I
press the shaft a bit. So that seems pretty conclusive to me. Can I
assume that the missus has broken it, or is it a known problem with Beko
machines that is likely to happen soon to a replacement pump, meaning
that we may as well live with the noise?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 19:34:11 +0000, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:

My missus likes to keep me busy, so a while back she put a tub of cotton
buds in with the washing.

Bless. ;-)

They are just the right size to get stuck in
the drum holes, and some even got through.

A good choice on her part then.

Since then I've found a few
in the filter at the bottom front right-hand side, but I've not seen any
for a few months now. However, the drain pump has started rattling a
bit. I've switched it on with no filter fitted, and it does make the
noise even with nothing stuck in the impeller, and it goes quiet if I
press the shaft a bit.

They can do that, especially when they aren't loaded (with water) and
/ or get a bit of wear.

So that seems pretty conclusive to me. Can I
assume that the missus has broken it,

Yes, but keep the conclusion to yourself (well, and us of course).

or is it a known problem with Beko
machines that is likely to happen soon to a replacement pump, meaning
that we may as well live with the noise?

I think the main thing Beko are known for is spontaneous combustion
but the good news for you is that pump is probably self extinguishing.

Joking aside, I can't help you specifically on the Beko but I have
hear some pumps that rattle as you describe (especially when they
start sucking air at the end of the drain cycle) and I've only changed
a couple in my life, mainly for leaking. They weren't expensive (c 25
quid) or difficult to change (YMMV of course).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My missus likes to keep me busy, so a while back she put a tub of cotton
buds in with the washing.

Bless. ;-)

They are just the right size to get stuck in
the drum holes, and some even got through.

A good choice on her part then.

Yes, of all the things she's done, and there are of course many, this is
perhaps the most inspired. I can't complain too much, though. I left
her MacBook on a lit gas ring for about ten minutes. It didn't catch
fire, but melted a big hole in the bottom. Fortunately, I was able to
dismantle the thing and remantle it in a second-hand case off ebay.

[...]

I remember that from a few years ago. I think it was a different model
in the news, and I'm hoping it doesn't affect all of them.

Joking aside, I can't help you specifically on the Beko but I have
hear some pumps that rattle as you describe (especially when they

It does seem to be worse when it's running dry. Presumably the shaft is
rattling about more.

start sucking air at the end of the drain cycle) and I've only changed
a couple in my life, mainly for leaking. They weren't expensive (c 25
quid) or difficult to change (YMMV of course).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My missus likes to keep me busy, so a while back she put a tub of cotton
buds in with the washing.

Bless. ;-)

They are just the right size to get stuck in
the drum holes, and some even got through.

A good choice on her part then.

Yes, of all the things she's done, and there are of course many, this is
perhaps the most inspired. I can't complain too much, though. I left
her MacBook on a lit gas ring for about ten minutes. It didn't catch
fire, but melted a big hole in the bottom. Fortunately, I was able to
dismantle the thing and remantle it in a second-hand case off ebay.

Phew ('remantle', I like it g).

snip

I think the main thing Beko are known for is spontaneous combustion
but the good news for you is that pump is probably self extinguishing.

I remember that from a few years ago. I think it was a different model
in the news, and I'm hoping it doesn't affect all of them.

FBF I think it was (mainly?) tumble dryers (and fridges?).

Joking aside, I can't help you specifically on the Beko but I have
hear some pumps that rattle as you describe (especially when they

It does seem to be worse when it's running dry. Presumably the shaft is
rattling about more.

Probably. In a way I quite like the idea of an induction motor
'rattling' a bit (as long as it was lateral float not bearing wear) as
it suggests the magnetic 'action' is balanced along the end of the
motor. ;-)

Can you feel any sideways movement on the impeller?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes. About half a millimeter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 12:56:41 +0000, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:
snip

Can you feel any sideways movement on the impeller?

Yes. About half a millimeter.

Hmm, I'm not sure that sounds 'good', assuming the length of shaft
from the front motor bearing to the end of the impeller is
particularly long (and would magnify any slack in the bearing).

OOI, if you can get to the pump easily (sometimes you can see them
from underneath if you lean the machine over), can see the bearings on
either end of the motor (they are often of the 'open' design) and can
put a drop of heavy oil on each end, then see if it stops you
'rattle'. If it does then it would suggest the bearings are on their
way out (the ones I've seen were the plain oil-lite / sintered type)
and the oiling might just keep the pump running for a bit longer (and
quieter). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, there's a good chance that there are some cotton bud stems still in
there.

Brian Gaff wrote:
So are you saying there could be cotton buds still in the works. Most
devices do not like this sort of treatment.

My Panasonic sometimes makes a noise like a deadened jingle and yes its the
little impeller in the drain, but one cannot actually feel it hitting
anything so maybe pumps and stuff do get noisier with age.
Brian