Posted to alt.home.repair
mg mg is offline

Default Draining a Washing Machine into a Cast Iron Sewer Pipe

I have an old house that has a cast iron pipe that runs along a cinder
block wall in the basement and then goes through the wall and exits
the house. It's probably about 40" from the basement floor to the
pipe. The clothes washer has always drained into a hole in the
basement floor, but that drain gets plugged up once in a while and
then I have to call Roto Rooter to clean it out.

Someone told me that it is possible to tap into the sewer pipe and use
it for the clothes washer drain. Does anyone know how this is done and
where to get the parts and how well it works?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mg" wrote in message
I have an old house that has a cast iron pipe that runs along a cinder
block wall in the basement and then goes through the wall and exits
the house.
Someone told me that it is possible to tap into the sewer pipe and use
it for the clothes washer drain. Does anyone know how this is done and
where to get the parts and how well it works?

You need a hole saw to make the proper sized hole. You can buy a saddle
that fits over the pipe to make the connection for the washer hose to go
into.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 11:14 am, wrote:

Don't forget the trap and be sure the venting works. You may need a
Studer Vent. Two issues. You don't want the retreating water to pull
the water out of your trap and you don't want the washer hose
siphoning sewer water back into the washer.

Air admittance valves such as the Studer have limitations on their
locations. It's definitely worth investigating, though, and good
points about the trap and venting issues.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mg mg is offline

On Jan 13, 4:22 pm, Larry Caldwell
wrote:
In article ,
(Edwin Pawlowski) says...

"mg" wrote in message
I have an old house that has a cast iron pipe that runs along a cinder
block wall in the basement and then goes through the wall and exits
the house.
Someone told me that it is possible to tap into the sewer pipe and use
it for the clothes washer drain. Does anyone know how this is done and
where to get the parts and how well it works?

You need a hole saw to make the proper sized hole. You can buy a saddle
that fits over the pipe to make the connection for the washer hose to go
into.

I think it would be simpler to just cut a few inches of pipe out, and
install the correct fitting using no-hub connectors.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Actually, I decided to have a plumber do it for me at the same time he
was installing a new water heater for me and that's how he did it. The
height of the drain tube did worry me a little bit since it's at least
a couple of feet above the top of the washer, but it does seem to work
just fine.