Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what are N(blf) ( Force ?)

I'm looking at a table for gas struts and the column heading is 'Force in N(blf) and the row reads 270(60.7)

Can someone converts this into kg. (The amount of force I require is a lift of 14kg)

Would that 'blf' be a mis-print for 'lbf' ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2016 10:45, fred wrote:

I'm looking at a table for gas struts and the column heading is 'Force in N(blf) and the row reads 270(60.7)

Can someone converts this into kg. (The amount of force I require is a lift of 14kg)

Divide 270 by g, so for the purposes of this exercise, 10 would be close
enough giving enough force to support 27kg

Would that 'blf' be a mis-print for 'lbf' ?

Yup...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=27...2SBoL9UPS-o9AD

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/16 10:45, fred wrote:
I'm looking at a table for gas struts and the column heading is 'Force in N(blf) and the row reads 270(60.7)

Can someone converts this into kg. (The amount of force I require is a lift of 14kg)

Would that 'blf' be a mis-print for 'lbf' ?

Looks like it.
Some dumb typist who doesn't know science, or spelling, or english grammar.
They are all like that these days.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 11:01:23 AM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 09/02/16 10:45, fred wrote:
I'm looking at a table for gas struts and the column heading is 'Force in N(blf) and the row reads 270(60.7)

Can someone converts this into kg. (The amount of force I require is a lift of 14kg)

Would that 'blf' be a mis-print for 'lbf' ?

Looks like it.
Some dumb typist who doesn't know science, or spelling, or english grammar.
They are all like that these days.

..I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)

Nope. Probably lost in the translation from Dutch to English
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2016 10:45, fred wrote:
I'm looking at a table for gas struts and the column heading is 'Force in N(blf) and the row reads 270(60.7)

Can someone converts this into kg. (The amount of force I require is a lift of 14kg)

Using F=MA:-
The force in Newtons = the mass in kilograms times the acceleration due
to gravity in m/s²

Acceleration due to gravity (g) is taken as 9.81 m/s²

Force to cope with 14 Kg is 14 * 9.81 = 137.34 Newtons

When I was at school (before calculators) we took g as 10 to show we
knew where to use it but it didn't make the maths overly complicated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 12:07:35 PM UTC, soup wrote:
On 09/02/2016 10:45, fred wrote:
I'm looking at a table for gas struts and the column heading is 'Force in N(blf) and the row reads 270(60.7)

Can someone converts this into kg. (The amount of force I require is a lift of 14kg)

Using F=MA:-
The force in Newtons = the mass in kilograms times the acceleration due
to gravity in m/s²

Acceleration due to gravity (g) is taken as 9.81 m/s²

Force to cope with 14 Kg is 14 * 9.81 = 137.34 Newtons

When I was at school (before calculators) we took g as 10 to show we
knew where to use it but it didn't make the maths overly complicated.

Many thanks to all who responded. I had guessed the answer but couldn't relate to the advice I was being given in relation to the strut. The opening angle and the stroke are also required to give the answer so in this case two of these will be required for a 14kg up-lift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
I'm looking at a table for gas struts and the column heading is 'Force
in N(blf) and the row reads 270(60.7)

Can someone converts this into kg. (The amount of force I require is a
lift of 14kg)

Would that 'blf' be a mis-print for 'lbf' ?

The force a gas strut provides is usually quoted in Newtons.

That is the force needed to accelerate 1kg at a rate of one second per
second.

Note that gas struts are pretty temperature sensitive. One which is
perfect on a hot day may not be adequate when cold.

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
fred wrote:
I'm looking at a table for gas struts and the column heading is 'Force
in N(blf) and the row reads 270(60.7)

Can someone converts this into kg. (The amount of force I require is a
lift of 14kg)

Would that 'blf' be a mis-print for 'lbf' ?

The force a gas strut provides is usually quoted in Newtons.

That is the force needed to accelerate 1kg at a rate of one second per
second.

I take it you meant one metre per sec per sec (it's a long time since I
did that stuff :-)

Yup. ;-)

--
*With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.*

Air Force One ---MIKE--- Home Repair 19 April 2nd 12 11:18 PM
Air Force Quarter? spaco Metalworking 5 August 11th 10 04:42 AM
May the Force ............. SteveB Metalworking 3 October 29th 07 11:03 PM
T-Force Air for nailers? Robatoy Woodworking 21 May 7th 06 11:32 AM
T-Force for nailers? Robatoy Home Repair 3 May 3rd 06 05:42 PM