Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

Default T-Force Air for nailers?

There are days when I do a lot of little things in a lot of different
places and dragging a compressor (even a pancake) becomes an
inconvenience.

Doing my duty-ful DAGS-thang, I stumbled upon these fellas:
http://www.turanairsystems.com/default.html

So, before I get an overdose of sticker-shock, I would like to ask my
BIT's (Brethern-In-Tools) here if any of you have had the pleasure to
use this air delivery system.
It sure makes a heckuvalot of sense to me.

The usual caveats apply:
I have NO affiliation with this company.
I have NOT been drinking.

Respectfully, I remain,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack

The 3000psi fill center is interesting (scuba?) (I didn't see the
price). I think the high pressure carbon fiber wrapped tanks can be
used for only a few years (6 ?). I know that scuba tanks over 1800psi
have to be inspected every year ( having your own mini compressor it
might not be an issue ) . To reach 3000psi with that little pump may
take awhile. The system looks expensive, what are they asking with
refill pump?

Posted to rec.woodworking
GeeDubb

"Robatoy" wrote in message
There are days when I do a lot of little things in a lot of different
places and dragging a compressor (even a pancake) becomes an
inconvenience.

Doing my duty-ful DAGS-thang, I stumbled upon these fellas:
http://www.turanairsystems.com/default.html

So, before I get an overdose of sticker-shock, I would like to ask my
BIT's (Brethern-In-Tools) here if any of you have had the pleasure to
use this air delivery system.
It sure makes a heckuvalot of sense to me.

The usual caveats apply:
I have NO affiliation with this company.
I have NOT been drinking.

Respectfully, I remain,

I've never used one of these but have used steel Nitrogen tanks available
from any local welding supply. Of course the appropriate regulator must be
used. I've also seen others using CO2 tanks. A 30 cubic inch cylinder
would last for quite a while (never used it continuously).

Now having said that, I also worked in an industry which uses high pressure
gas to inflate escape slides for aircraft.....there's a lot of kinetic
energy in one of those tanks and I've seen the havoc that occurs when a
cylinder is compromised. Makes a table saw accident look pretty benign.

My concern would be the pump life if you opted for that system. The
portable pumps we used were always breaking down.

Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking
bremen68

snip

Now having said that, I also worked in an industry which uses high pressure
gas to inflate escape slides for aircraft.....there's a lot of kinetic
energy in one of those tanks and I've seen the havoc that occurs when a
cylinder is compromised. Makes a table saw accident look pretty benign.

Gary

You know Gary I've always wondered just how bad it is when one of those
tanks goes off...Are you talking about sudden catastrophic failure
(explosion), or having a tank failure/extreme leak of some sort
(ballistic)

I've always wanted to see just how far one would fly if you knock the
valve off of one.

Just curious.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

bremen68 wrote:
snip

Now having said that, I also worked in an industry which uses high pressure
gas to inflate escape slides for aircraft.....there's a lot of kinetic
energy in one of those tanks and I've seen the havoc that occurs when a
cylinder is compromised. Makes a table saw accident look pretty benign.

Gary

You know Gary I've always wondered just how bad it is when one of those
tanks goes off...Are you talking about sudden catastrophic failure
(explosion), or having a tank failure/extreme leak of some sort
(ballistic)

I've always wanted to see just how far one would fly if you knock the
valve off of one.

A construction manager friend told me he saw one go through a block
wall like it wasn't there.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Robatoy" wrote in message
There are days when I do a lot of little things in a lot of different
places and dragging a compressor (even a pancake) becomes an
inconvenience.

Doing my duty-ful DAGS-thang, I stumbled upon these fellas:
http://www.turanairsystems.com/default.html

So, before I get an overdose of sticker-shock, I would like to ask my
BIT's (Brethern-In-Tools) here if any of you have had the pleasure to
use this air delivery system.
It sure makes a heckuvalot of sense to me.

The usual caveats apply:
I have NO affiliation with this company.
I have NOT been drinking.

Respectfully, I remain,

Its a paintball tank. A local finish carpenter tried it, hated it. He
would only get halve a rack of nails before he was out. If the hose
connection proved too difficult, he lost most of the air. He finally took
my advise and switched to the new 1/4" poly hoses. Now he leaves the
compressor outside or in the truck.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack

I saw a picture of a dive shop in the caribbean that had a tank
failure. I looked like a bomb went off. Walls knocked down and one
person dead (Tank fill person)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Murray Peterson

"bremen68" wrote in
oups.com:

I've always wanted to see just how far one would fly if you knock the
valve off of one.

Mythbusters (an amusing television show) shot the valve off a SCUBA tank
and got the result on camera. What you get is a rocket, but one that flies
around like a balloon when you let it go -- pretty scary. They also shot
holes in the sides of the tank -- much less impressive results.
Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Murray Peterson wrote:

Mythbusters (an amusing television show) shot the valve off a SCUBA tank
and got the result on camera. What you get is a rocket, but one that flies
around like a balloon when you let it go -- pretty scary.

There are valid reasons why trucks carrying compressed gas cylinders are
set up they way they are, as well as all those OSHA rules for cylinder
use and storage.

I'm glad I got to see it from the safety of my tee-vee. G
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

Default T-Force Air for nailers? Further info.

In article ,
"Teamcasa" wrote:

He finally took
my advise and switched to the new 1/4" poly hoses. Now he leaves the
compressor outside or in the truck.

$ 545.00 for the small tank and regulator/holster.
Around $ 2600.00 for the compressor.

I sure like the concept, but at those prices, I can buy one big reel of 1/4"
poly.... and suddenly my pancake doesn't seem that heavy anymore.

I mean.. whoa... 4-kilobucks by the time I get it up to Canuckistan?

The safety issue, even though I respect it, is not really problematic to me.
After all, it is paintball technology.

Thanks Dave.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"B A R R Y" wrote
Murray Peterson wrote:

Mythbusters (an amusing television show) shot the valve off a SCUBA tank
and got the result on camera. What you get is a rocket, but one that
flies around like a balloon when you let it go -- pretty scary.

There are valid reasons why trucks carrying compressed gas cylinders are
set up they way they are, as well as all those OSHA rules for cylinder use
and storage.

Most welding shop have some pictures of destruction caused by stupid people
and compressed gasses. Also some tall tales of various idiots who ignore
basic safety rules and cause great harm to themselves and/or their
surroundings.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"Teamcasa" wrote:

He finally took
my advise and switched to the new 1/4" poly hoses. Now he leaves the
compressor outside or in the truck.

$ 545.00 for the small tank and regulator/holster.
Around $ 2600.00 for the compressor.

I sure like the concept, but at those prices, I can buy one big reel of 1/4"
poly.... and suddenly my pancake doesn't seem that heavy anymore.

I mean.. whoa... 4-kilobucks by the time I get it up to Canuckistan?

The safety issue, even though I respect it, is not really problematic to me.
After all, it is paintball technology.

Aren't the paintball tanks a _lot_ smaller? Don't underestimate
safety concerns.

The carbon fiber wrapped tank is a tip off. It's the same wow factor
coefficient as the masters fatty cyclist who buys a $8000 carbon fiber
bike and is carrying 50 extra pounds in his beer gut.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

I don't see how this is any different than using a compressed
gas cylinder with nitrogen (or carbon dioxide) and a regulator.
This is ancient technology -- I've seen it done in the 70's.

Robatoy wrote:
There are days when I do a lot of little things in a lot of different
places and dragging a compressor (even a pancake) becomes an
inconvenience.

Doing my duty-ful DAGS-thang, I stumbled upon these fellas:
http://www.turanairsystems.com/default.html

So, before I get an overdose of sticker-shock, I would like to ask my
BIT's (Brethern-In-Tools) here if any of you have had the pleasure to
use this air delivery system.
It sure makes a heckuvalot of sense to me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

RicodJour wrote:

Aren't the paintball tanks a _lot_ smaller? Don't underestimate
safety concerns.

No, the hardcore paintballers use big carbon fiber tanks to refill the
little tanks on the gun out in the field.

The carbon fiber wrapped tank is a tip off. It's the same wow factor
coefficient as the masters fatty cyclist who buys a $8000 carbon fiber
bike and is carrying 50 extra pounds in his beer gut.

The carbon fiber wrap theoretically could reduce the weight, given that
you can then thin out the metal tank walls and rely on the carbon fiber
to take the pressure.

Carbon fiber tanks can also be rated up to 4500psi, while regular scuba
tanks are 3000psi.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack

I've used a scuba bottle (3500psi, steel), regulator , and a nail gun
(tried once ,not worth the trouble. Tank refill, weight, short use time
are all negatives). My buddy owned a dive shop with 4500psi compressor
and 20 large storage bottles, I already had the parts and it still
wasn't worth using. I have a light, cheap ($25 ) pancake compressor
now. I leave the big compressor in the shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Chris Friesen wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

The carbon fiber wrapped tank is a tip off. It's the same wow factor
coefficient as the masters fatty cyclist who buys a $8000 carbon fiber
bike and is carrying 50 extra pounds in his beer gut.

The carbon fiber wrap theoretically could reduce the weight, given that
you can then thin out the metal tank walls and rely on the carbon fiber
to take the pressure.

Carbon fiber tanks can also be rated up to 4500psi, while regular scuba
tanks are 3000psi.

And carbon fiber bikes can now be had for well under $2000. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 03 May 2006 11:49:15 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

In article ,
"Teamcasa" wrote:

He finally took
my advise and switched to the new 1/4" poly hoses. Now he leaves the
compressor outside or in the truck.

$ 545.00 for the small tank and regulator/holster.
Around $ 2600.00 for the compressor.

I sure like the concept, but at those prices, I can buy one big reel of 1/4"
poly.... and suddenly my pancake doesn't seem that heavy anymore.

I mean.. whoa... 4-kilobucks by the time I get it up to Canuckistan?

The safety issue, even though I respect it, is not really problematic to me.
After all, it is paintball technology.

Take a look at allinonewood.com in Mississauga Ont Canada, page two
of their current flyer has a CO2 system for 100 + Cdn $ shoots up to
500 nails per charge. Looks nice and compact . I'd expect a recharge
to be in the 8-10 $ range but this is a guess so YMMV
and no I am not drinking or affiliated with Allinonewood, although I
did once buy a Jet mini lathe from them and
I like it a lot.

Ken
Posted to rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"B A R R Y" wrote
Murray Peterson wrote:

Mythbusters (an amusing television show) shot the valve off a SCUBA tank
and got the result on camera. What you get is a rocket, but one that
flies around like a balloon when you let it go -- pretty scary.

There are valid reasons why trucks carrying compressed gas cylinders are
set up they way they are, as well as all those OSHA rules for cylinder
use and storage.

Most welding shop have some pictures of destruction caused by stupid
people and compressed gasses. Also some tall tales of various idiots who
ignore basic safety rules and cause great harm to themselves and/or their
surroundings.

IIRC, it was an oxygen cylinder in a vendors stand that fell over(without
the safety cover over the valve), broke off the valve & wreaked havoc,
including fire, explosion and several deaths at the Indianapolis fairground
coliseum back in the '60s.

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Robatoy wrote:
[snip]

I have NOT been drinking.

Bingo.
Posted to rec.woodworking
GeeDubb

"bremen68" wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

Now having said that, I also worked in an industry which uses high
pressure
gas to inflate escape slides for aircraft.....there's a lot of kinetic
energy in one of those tanks and I've seen the havoc that occurs when a
cylinder is compromised. Makes a table saw accident look pretty benign.

Gary

You know Gary I've always wondered just how bad it is when one of those
tanks goes off...Are you talking about sudden catastrophic failure
(explosion), or having a tank failure/extreme leak of some sort
(ballistic)

I've always wanted to see just how far one would fly if you knock the
valve off of one.

Just curious.

Others posted what happens, a balloon whipping around but on a really
destructive scale. I've also seen the hoses attached to these cylinders
bust a fitting and tear appart a room as it was whipping around. Of course
after this happened the company put in one hell of a safety cage in the test
lab! One of our engineers took a big hit on his back as he was diving
away...damn lucky it didn't hit him in the head.

Each time a new size cylinder is qualified (for the aircraft industry at
least) it has to go through a gun shot test (and fire tests). The cylinder
must remain intact (no castastrophic failure of the cylinder other than the
bullet hole) but no requirement for where the cylinder ends up after getting
shot......in one such case the "marksman" actually hit the valve instead of
the tank. Never did find the valve. Most of the cylinders used are a
kevlar reinforced aluminum cylinder. Recently they switched to carbon fiber
reinforced aluminum cylinders to reduce weight. Only the general aviation
rafts still use the old metal cylinders.

It's pretty amazing to see the upper deck slide on a 747 inflate in six
seconds......it uses two 1100 cubic inch cylinders using a Nitrogen/CO2
mixture at 3000 psi to run four turbofan aspirators. way cool.

Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
bremen68 wrote:

snip

Now having said that, I also worked in an industry which uses high pressure
gas to inflate escape slides for aircraft.....there's a lot of kinetic
energy in one of those tanks and I've seen the havoc that occurs when a
cylinder is compromised. Makes a table saw accident look pretty benign.

Gary

You know Gary I've always wondered just how bad it is when one of those
tanks goes off...Are you talking about sudden catastrophic failure
(explosion), or having a tank failure/extreme leak of some sort
(ballistic)

I've always wanted to see just how far one would fly if you knock the
valve off of one.

Just curious.

If you ever worked in a shipyard or knew someone who did, here is a
story you can appreciate. Beth Steel ran a shipyard in Baltimore that
was pretty active up through the 60s or 70s. The phrase "shipyard
mechanic", at least in Baltimore, had a particular connotation in the
mostly long vanished industrial economy that once supported so many
people in this area. Anyway, after completing a ship or boat, and
lauching it, shipyard personnel would sometimes take it out in the
harbor for a short shakedown. Sometimes there was some horseplay.
For instance, a gas cylinder was rolled over to the edge of the ship
deck, and the valve knocked off with a sledge. The cylinder would "fly"
off the ship or boat, hit the water, and rapidly sail along like a
torpedo. With no fins or other controls, the course of the "torpedo"
would be unpredictable. On one occasion, it turned full around, came
back to the ship, and put a hole in it! The "crew" was able to get
back to the shipyard before the brand new ship sank in the Chesapeake
Bay.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe

On Wed, 03 May 2006 09:03:57 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

There are days when I do a lot of little things in a lot of different
places and dragging a compressor (even a pancake) becomes an
inconvenience.

Doing my duty-ful DAGS-thang, I stumbled upon these fellas:
http://www.turanairsystems.com/default.html

So, before I get an overdose of sticker-shock, I would like to ask my
BIT's (Brethern-In-Tools) here if any of you have had the pleasure to
use this air delivery system.
It sure makes a heckuvalot of sense to me.

The usual caveats apply:
I have NO affiliation with this company.
I have NOT been drinking.

Respectfully, I remain,

Well, it is interesting and novel. However, I cannot think of a
situation where it would be worthwhile.
It shoots 250-300 roofing nails on a single tank. Geepers, that's a
lot of bottles to complete a roof. I would guess that number goes down
as the nail length goes up.