Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DiY at Aldi

DIY Specialbuys in store 7th February.

http://tinyurl.com/zzwdc6z

(https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/w...popular&page=0)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2016 18:23, F wrote:
DIY Specialbuys in store 7th February.

http://tinyurl.com/zzwdc6z

(https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/w...popular&page=0)

Cheers. I've been looking for a small clamp on vice for the van.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 20:21:21 +0000, David Lang
wrote:

On 05/02/2016 18:23, F wrote:
DIY Specialbuys in store 7th February.

http://tinyurl.com/zzwdc6z

(https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/w...popular&page=0)

Cheers. I've been looking for a small clamp on vice for the van.

If that's anything like the one I've used (and it looks the same or
very similar), it doesn't seem to not swivel on the ball if you put
any side load on the jaws (like when junior hack sawing though a 6mm
bolt), no matter how tight you lock it.

I may just have been that particular one of course.

Similar with the suction base vices. Great if on a really smooth
surface but still not against too much side load.

I think it's like the bigger bench vices that can swivel, or pillar
drill tables that you can change the angle on ... they look like they
should be a good idea but can often move or flex and so make things
more difficult.

I have one of the 5" swiveling bench vices and whilst it's ok if you
just want to hold something to file or de-rust but no good it you need
to shape something with a hammer or undo a very tight (larger) nut. I
think I made an 'H' shaped place to stop mine moving too far or just
use the big q/r Record.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/02/2016 18:23, F wrote:
DIY Specialbuys in store 7th February.

http://tinyurl.com/zzwdc6z

(https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/w...popular&page=0)

Cheers. I've been looking for a small clamp on vice for the van.

If that's anything like the one I've used (and it looks the same or
very similar), it doesn't seem to not swivel on the ball if you put
any side load on the jaws (like when junior hack sawing though a 6mm
bolt), no matter how tight you lock it.

Correction, looking at it again I now remember the ball joint was ok
but it would swivel about on the bench clamp, no matter how hard you
tightened it. I think the plastic protector on the base was too
'slippery' (an oily plastic rather than a more grippy rubber) and we
even trued gluing the protector on to stop the foot moving within it.
Then it just moved on the bench instead.

I think we ended up with someone holding the vice and the other one
sawing but lighter and more 'up and down' than we normally would.

We then bought a small bench vice and just clamped it to the bench
with two 'G' clamps when required. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/02/2016 18:23, F wrote:
[...]

A mate of mine has a "clamp" vice which I think came from Aldi and which
looks very similar to that one. I found it worked fine when trimming 6
mm stainless screws using a junior hacksaw on his boat a couple of weeks
ago, no problem with wobble or swivelling.

I have a suction vice similar to the one in the ad, but not from
Aldi/Lidl. The problem with that is that there is a bit of "play"
between the vice and the base, also the rubber jaw protectors are not as
effective as "proper" ones on a bench vice, but it is still useful for
lightweight trimming jobs away from a proper one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/02/2016 18:23, F wrote:
[...]

AS I mentioned, it could be a slightly different design where the
rubber cover on the base could grip better (or the surface you were
clamping it to was more grippy) and it *could* be fine. Just from
personal experience from those sorts of things over many years. I just
don't like them (for any even slightly 'heavy' work).

I have a suction vice similar to the one in the ad, but not from
Aldi/Lidl. The problem with that is that there is a bit of "play"
between the vice and the base, also the rubber jaw protectors are not as
effective as "proper" ones on a bench vice, but it is still useful for
lightweight trimming jobs away from a proper one.

Yeah, sure, there can be situation and rolls where these sort of
things are fine, but for anything even slightly 'hard' I'd always look
for a proper vice.

It's like I picked up a B&D workmate clone off Freecycle and it stays
out in the garden to be used and abused. It's *nothing* like my
genuine B&D Workmate (that stays in the dry g) in any of it's
functions.

So, if I just needed to hold something off the floor while I did some
non-heavy work on it I'd use the clone. For anything else, where I
wanted to actually clamp something and not risk it jumping out or not
wobble about whilst drilling an accurate hole or sawing an accurate
like, I'd get the genuine thing. Not to say other Workmate clones
aren't good, just as I'm sure there are bad and even worse clamp on /
swivel vices. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/02/2016 18:23, F wrote:
DIY Specialbuys in store 7th February.

http://tinyurl.com/zzwdc6z

(https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/w...popular&page=0)

Cheers. I've been looking for a small clamp on vice for the van.

If that's anything like the one I've used (and it looks the same or
very similar), it doesn't seem to not swivel on the ball if you put
any side load on the jaws (like when junior hack sawing though a 6mm
bolt), no matter how tight you lock it.

Correction, looking at it again I now remember the ball joint was ok
but it would swivel about on the bench clamp, no matter how hard you
tightened it. I think the plastic protector on the base was too
'slippery' (an oily plastic rather than a more grippy rubber) and we
even trued gluing the protector on to stop the foot moving within it.
Then it just moved on the bench instead.

I've tried it again and it's still just as I said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20vice%201.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20vice%202.jpg

It seems to pivot around the hole in the rubber foot, when you grab
the vice jaws and twist them (too easily I mean), no matter how tight
you do up the clamp.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/02/2016 18:23, F wrote:
DIY Specialbuys in store 7th February.

http://tinyurl.com/zzwdc6z

(https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/w...popular&page=0)

Cheers. I've been looking for a small clamp on vice for the van.

If that's anything like the one I've used (and it looks the same or
very similar), it doesn't seem to not swivel on the ball if you put
any side load on the jaws (like when junior hack sawing though a 6mm
bolt), no matter how tight you lock it.

Better than a pair of mole grips though?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/02/2016 18:23, F wrote:
DIY Specialbuys in store 7th February.

http://tinyurl.com/zzwdc6z

(https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/w...popular&page=0)

Cheers. I've been looking for a small clamp on vice for the van.

If that's anything like the one I've used (and it looks the same or
very similar), it doesn't seem to not swivel on the ball if you put
any side load on the jaws (like when junior hack sawing though a 6mm
bolt), no matter how tight you lock it.

Better than a pair of mole grips though?

I have a bench clamp designed to hold a mole wrench!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2016 00:49, David Lang wrote:

Better than a pair of mole grips though?

When I purchased mole grips many years ago they came holder which could
be clamped to a bench and where one leg of the grips slotted into the
holder to give bench vice like facility.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/02/2016 18:23, F wrote:
DIY Specialbuys in store 7th February.

http://tinyurl.com/zzwdc6z

(https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/w...popular&page=0)

Cheers. I've been looking for a small clamp on vice for the van.

If that's anything like the one I've used (and it looks the same or
very similar), it doesn't seem to not swivel on the ball if you put
any side load on the jaws (like when junior hack sawing though a 6mm
bolt), no matter how tight you lock it.

Better than a pair of mole grips though?

Possibly not. ;-)

Ok, if you just want something held whilst you do something to it that
doesn't involve too much force (especially in the wrong directions) it
will be fine, especially because you can move the head about on the
ball.

However, try to use it like a bench vice ... hacksawing through some
15mm copper pipe or a 6mm ss bolt and you might go back to the
Molegrips.

Whereas a rigid mounted vice would only give a bit (depending on how
good it was and how well it was fixed down etc), these suction /
handwheel clamp type vices initially give just a little bit more
causing the job to move (twist) under say your hacksaw blade, causing
it to jamb.

It wouldn't be quite the same issue holding something you were
drilling as the chances are it wouldn't be that thick, allowing the
drill to change angle in the job without seizing.

So, depending on what you are hoping to do, In many cases (and IMHO of
course) they are actually not 'better than nothing' (or Molegrips).
;-)

Personally I might buy a small std vice, bolt it to a block of wood (a
bit of kitchen worktop) and find some way of holding it down in the
van.

http://www.adriansteel.com/item/cargo-vans/1419/VMA36

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes

Personally I might buy a small std vice, bolt it to a block of wood (a
bit of kitchen worktop) and find some way of holding it down in the
van.

I have an ordinary engineer's vice permanently bolted to a lump of 4 x
2, and use the Workmate to hold the 4 x 2. Useful as I can take it
almost anywhere.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/02/2016 18:23, F wrote:
[...]

Did some 8mm ones last week, dead easy with lidl vice.

You need to put a pair of nuts with a spring washer between them
tightened so the end nut is at the length required.
Then you just hacksaw against the nut and give it a quick file and undo
the nuts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
If that's anything like the one I've used (and it looks the same or
very similar), it doesn't seem to not swivel on the ball if you put
any side load on the jaws (like when junior hack sawing though a 6mm
bolt), no matter how tight you lock it.

I may just have been that particular one of course.

I have a Draper one which was similar. Quick examination showed the clamp
was bottoming out. Bit of filing sorted it.

But it's obviously not going to be as rigid as a fixed type.

--
*Happiness is seeing your mother-in-law on a milk carton

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 12:55:10 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
If that's anything like the one I've used (and it looks the same or
very similar), it doesn't seem to not swivel on the ball if you put
any side load on the jaws (like when junior hack sawing though a 6mm
bolt), no matter how tight you lock it.

I may just have been that particular one of course.

I have a Draper one which was similar. Quick examination showed the clamp
was bottoming out. Bit of filing sorted it.

I think I checked this one over for such things but it wasn't anything
that was resolvable (at the time anyway). In this case the clamp had
to be open pretty wide as we could get it on the desktop and under the
supporting steel frame (just).

From memory, the foot of the casting wasn't dead flat, had a slight
raising in the middle or some such that meant it was sitting on a
small section in the middle, rather than the entire (albeit small)
diameter of the base.

Given a second look at it I might use some of that Metal Epoxy to glue
the metal part of the foot to a short length (100-150mm) of (even
ally) angle with some rubber stuck inside that ... and if that stays
bonded, I could also clamp the angle to the desk with a couple of
small 'G' clamps or even drill a couple of holes and drop bolts and
wingnuts through if it's going to be there for a while.

But it's obviously not going to be as rigid as a fixed type.

Quite, but it (or our one) wasn't even clamped well enough to stop it
all rotating on the base when even moderate effort was applied. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2016 18:23, F wrote:
DIY Specialbuys in store 7th February.

http://tinyurl.com/zzwdc6z

(https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/w...popular&page=0)

Digital callipers look good. Wouldn't have to put specs on to read it
like I do with a micrometer.
Might get a couple of sets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 03:12:53 -0000, "Nick"
wrote:

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote
in message ...
On 05/02/2016 18:23, F wrote:
DIY Specialbuys in store 7th February.

http://tinyurl.com/zzwdc6z

(https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/w...popular&page=0)

Digital callipers look good. Wouldn't have to put specs on to read it
like I do with a micrometer.
Might get a couple of sets.

+1

And another. Mate bought some plastic ones and whilst they seem to
work, 'vernier' and 'plastic aren't two words I want to see together.

That said, a mate has a metal set and they regularly go mental but not
in a way that is immediately obvious. You measure something say 20mm
diameter and they could read 34mm. ;-(

The Aldi digital verniers are often seen around at £9.99 so £7.99 is
quite good.

The pair I have in front of me right now are 'WorkZone', probably from
Aldi and have been very good.

Like tape measures, strong glasses and marker pens, I have to have a
few digital verniers scattered around the house / workshop to be sure
I can always lay my hands on them (as verniers have a habit of being
lost between sheets of paper). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Mate bought some plastic ones and whilst they seem to
work, 'vernier' and 'plastic aren't two words I want to see together.

I have a giveaway plastic vernier calliper (from Anglia Electronics
IIRC, who says advertising doesn't work?) that are probably knocking 20
years old, of course they're not high precision but better than trying
to gauge sub-mm on a tape measure by eye.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2016 11:35, Andy Burns wrote:
T i m wrote:

Mate bought some plastic ones and whilst they seem to
work, 'vernier' and 'plastic aren't two words I want to see together.

I have a giveaway plastic vernier calliper (from Anglia Electronics
IIRC, who says advertising doesn't work?) that are probably knocking 20
years old, of course they're not high precision but better than trying
to gauge sub-mm on a tape measure by eye.

I've got one which came free with a Practical Motorist magazine when I
was at university in the early 1960's!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 February 2016 11:30:42 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

Digital callipers look good. Wouldn't have to put specs on to read it
like I do with a micrometer.
Might get a couple of sets.

+1

And another. Mate bought some plastic ones and whilst they seem to
work, 'vernier' and 'plastic aren't two words I want to see together.

I'm still using the plastic callipers I inherited from my Dad, and they
weren't new when he died in 1994. They seem to work very well (a bit
scratched now, but that's "patina".)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2016 03:12, Nick wrote:
"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote
in message ...
On 05/02/2016 18:23, F wrote:
DIY Specialbuys in store 7th February.

http://tinyurl.com/zzwdc6z

(https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/w...popular&page=0)

Digital callipers look good. Wouldn't have to put specs on to read it
like I do with a micrometer.
Might get a couple of sets.

+1

Drill looks good (well, 2 drills if you want a spare battery)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2016 01:20, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
On 05/02/2016 18:23, F wrote:
DIY Specialbuys in store 7th February.

http://tinyurl.com/zzwdc6z

(https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/w...popular&page=0)

Digital callipers look good. Wouldn't have to put specs on to read it
like I do with a micrometer.

Been using some for years exactly because of that.
You can get digital micrometers too but they are expensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

e.

Is it a Vernier if it doesn't have a vernier scale?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2016 01:20, wrote:
On 05/02/2016 18:23, F wrote:
DIY Specialbuys in store 7th February.

http://tinyurl.com/zzwdc6z

(https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/w...popular&page=0)

Digital callipers look good. Wouldn't have to put specs on to read it
like I do with a micrometer.
Might get a couple of sets.

They're good - but check the calibration. I've got two of them - one
from Maplin and one from Aldi or Lidl (can't remember which). The Maplin
one is fine, and the Aldi/Lidl one is ok on mm but out by several
percent on inches - far more than it would be if it took an inch as 25mm
instead of 25.4 So I can only use it on the metric scale.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 18:23:38 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

DIY Specialbuys in store 7th February.

http://tinyurl.com/zzwdc6z

(https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/w...popular&page=0)

I got daughter to pick me one up the bench clamp vice when she was
going past Aldi on Sunday and it does exactly the same thing as the
one my mate has, and that's swivel about on it's base when you give it
any reasonably heavy (admittedly) twisting action to the jaws.

I think I will try modifying mine by adding a short length of ally
angle under the base so that the turning moment is passed to the bench
via the ally, rather than just the friction of the rubber pad under
the base.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 February 2016 18:23:51 UTC, F wrote:
DIY Specialbuys in store 7th February.

http://tinyurl.com/zzwdc6z

(https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/w...popular&page=0)

The drill bit set is remarkably good value. It's 238 useful pieces, made up to 400 with wall plugs & 4 screw holders.

NT

DIY at Aldi F[_2_] UK diy 10 October 21st 14 11:24 PM
DIY at Aldi F[_2_] UK diy 5 October 16th 14 08:41 PM
Aldi toy - did anyone get one ? Colin Wilson UK diy 16 October 8th 08 08:51 PM
Aldi George UK diy 25 October 14th 07 07:50 PM
Off to Aldi... Jerry Built UK diy 2 June 29th 04 07:58 AM