Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dishwashers - Best Buy

We have a Hotpoint semi built in dishwasher which after a couple of
repairs now has a failed programmer. It is about 10 years old.

Its replacement might, or might not be included in a kitchen refurb.

I can buy (from ao.com) an identical replacement for £300 or a
Siemens/NEFF etc fro around £500

Any recommendations from the panel? Obviously if we go for the full
refurb we could buy a fully built in machine.

On the same track we currently have a built in 50/50 fridge freezer. We
would like, because of our current use, the possibility of a built in
with a larger freezer and smaller fridge, say 35/65. I cannot find this
type of appliance - the only ones available are 540/50 or those with a
smaller freezer and larger fridge. Again any suggestions.

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2016 15:11, Malcolm Race wrote:
We have a Hotpoint semi built in dishwasher which after a couple of
repairs now has a failed programmer. It is about 10 years old.

Ordinarily, I'd say "Miele", but I'm feeling grumpy about them this week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Connell wrote in news:n8qj04$coi$1@dont-
email.me:

On 02/02/2016 15:11, Malcolm Race wrote:
We have a Hotpoint semi built in dishwasher which after a couple of
repairs now has a failed programmer. It is about 10 years old.

Ordinarily, I'd say "Miele", but I'm feeling grumpy about them this week.

Why do you need "built in"? It reduces your choice an makes repairs more
difficult - also opening them and leafing the door partly open is more of a
n operation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/16 15:57, DerbyBorn wrote:
Jon Connell wrote in news:n8qj04$coi$1@dont-
email.me:

On 02/02/2016 15:11, Malcolm Race wrote:
We have a Hotpoint semi built in dishwasher which after a couple of
repairs now has a failed programmer. It is about 10 years old.

Ordinarily, I'd say "Miele", but I'm feeling grumpy about them this week.

Why do you need "built in"? It reduces your choice an makes repairs more
difficult - also opening them and leafing the door partly open is more of a
n operation.

And you cannot see the display. Unless you go for "semi integrated".

I agree - horrid idea. Much better to have a generous opening and use a
normal appliance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 February 2016 15:57:39 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
Jon Connell wrote in news:n8qj04$coi$1@dont-
email.me:
On 02/02/2016 15:11, Malcolm Race wrote:

We have a Hotpoint semi built in dishwasher which after a couple of
repairs now has a failed programmer. It is about 10 years old.

Ordinarily, I'd say "Miele", but I'm feeling grumpy about them this week.

Why do you need "built in"? It reduces your choice an makes repairs more
difficult - also opening them and leafing the door partly open is more of a
n operation.

I was going to say roughly that, but it seems once people decide they want built-in it's all about appearance, and everything else takes 2nd priority.

The other upside of not built in is you can also find suitable used appliances in good condition some of the time, thus getting most of the life expectancy at a fraction of the price.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/16 15:49, Jon Connell wrote:
On 02/02/2016 15:11, Malcolm Race wrote:
We have a Hotpoint semi built in dishwasher which after a couple of
repairs now has a failed programmer. It is about 10 years old.

Ordinarily, I'd say "Miele", but I'm feeling grumpy about them this week.

Best dishwasher? Poleomatic mate.

--
Bureaucracy defends the status quo long past the time the quo has lost
its status.

Laurence Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Siemens trumps Neff anytime.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 08:08:16 -0800, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Siemens trumps Neff anytime.

Bearing in mind they're both Bosch brands...

But, having said that, I'll always go Bosch (inc Siemens and Neff) if
there's a choice. Not only is the quality there, but they're an ethically-
owned company. Almost all of the shares are owned by a charitable trust,
with the profits going to humanitarian, medical and educational causes.
Works for me...

Also, our current Zanussi wishdosh is, frankly, ****ing useless. Unless
you're anally meticulous about pushing the upper drawer TOTALLY home, the
tablet compartment in the door doesn't open fully, so the tablet doesn't
come into play. Even when it does, the washing is ho-hum compared to the
Neff at our old place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2016 18:28, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 08:08:16 -0800, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Siemens trumps Neff anytime.

Bearing in mind they're both Bosch brands...

But, having said that, I'll always go Bosch (inc Siemens and Neff) if
there's a choice. Not only is the quality there, but they're an ethically-
owned company. Almost all of the shares are owned by a charitable trust,
with the profits going to humanitarian, medical and educational causes.
Works for me...

I've heard that too. Also, my experience of Bosch is excellent. Washing
machine, and partner has a (very heavily used/abused) dishwasher and
freezer. All over 5 years old and going strong.

I've got a Siemens dishwasher - nothing much to say - just does the job.
Bought it SH on ebay.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2016 16:24, Tim Watts wrote:

Miele...

I've gone from a dead Neff to a Miele and in all honesty I have to say
the Neff cleaned significantly better.
If we use the Miele on eco or sensor, unless the stuff is almost clean
before being washed there's regularly crusty stuff left on bowls and
cutlery (in the cuttlery draw)

Set it to intensive and stuff gets cleaned properly though.

Circuit board on the Neff blew up taking several tracks off the PCB.
Tried to fix it but to no avail. Didn't bother pricing up a circuit
board as there could have been something else at fault too.

Hopefully the Miele will last forever but if it doesn't I'd almost
certainly not replace it with another Miele.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 02/02/2016 17:23, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 02/02/2016 16:24, Tim Watts wrote:

Miele...

I've gone from a dead Neff to a Miele and in all honesty I have to say
the Neff cleaned significantly better.
If we use the Miele on eco or sensor, unless the stuff is almost clean
before being washed there's regularly crusty stuff left on bowls and
cutlery (in the cuttlery draw)

Set it to intensive and stuff gets cleaned properly though.

Circuit board on the Neff blew up taking several tracks off the PCB.
Tried to fix it but to no avail. Didn't bother pricing up a circuit
board as there could have been something else at fault too.

Hopefully the Miele will last forever but if it doesn't I'd almost
certainly not replace it with another Miele.

Miele gained their rep on washing machines. I haven't found that their
other appliances are worth the dosh.

We had a Bosch semi-integrated, which lasted about 12 years, and I
replaced like-for-like. The new one was cheaper than the original one,
but they had made a number of cost-cutting measures. For example, the
interior of the original was stainless steel, whilst the replacement is
mostly plastic.

The OP mentioned a figure of £300 for the Hotpoint, and our new Bosch
was only a bit over that. I can't see any point in paying £500 for a
Neff one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/16 17:55, GB wrote:
[...]

I have found their dishwashers wash better than either the Bosch it
replaced, or a Brandt (*spit*).

We had a Bosch semi-integrated, which lasted about 12 years, and I
replaced like-for-like. The new one was cheaper than the original one,
but they had made a number of cost-cutting measures. For example, the
interior of the original was stainless steel, whilst the replacement is
mostly plastic.

The OP mentioned a figure of £300 for the Hotpoint, and our new Bosch
was only a bit over that. I can't see any point in paying £500 for a
Neff one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We have a very cheap and cheerful Hoover dishwasher. It
stacks more efficiently (up to 5 days, two people) than any of our
previous machines and washes superbly in a reasonable time. Previous
units were Blaupunkt, each had about a 15 year life, no repairs. The
Hoover does however throw a wobbly if I let the house water softener run
out of salt! I think there's a lot of luck involved in the performance
of the machine you buy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 02/02/2016 20:10, pamela wrote:

Bosch seem to know what they're doing when it comes to dishwashers but,
like their washing machines, their programmes take a long time.

I don't think there's a lot of cost involved in the programmes running a
long time. The pump won't cost a lot to run.

Our Bosch has a quick programme that takes 30 minutes. This usually
cleans everything, but it's not 100%. We generally use the thorough
programme that takes 140 minutes. If that's too long, get a different make.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" Wrote
in message:
On 02/02/2016 16:24, Tim Watts wrote:

Miele...

I've gone from a dead Neff to a Miele and in all honesty I have to say
the Neff cleaned significantly better.
If we use the Miele on eco or sensor, unless the stuff is almost clean
before being washed there's regularly crusty stuff left on bowls and
cutlery (in the cuttlery draw)

Set it to intensive and stuff gets cleaned properly though.

Circuit board on the Neff blew up taking several tracks off the PCB.
Tried to fix it but to no avail. Didn't bother pricing up a circuit
board as there could have been something else at fault too.

Hopefully the Miele will last forever but if it doesn't I'd almost
certainly not replace it with another Miele.

We have a Bosch Exxcel DW (probably a serie 6 I the current range)
about 2 1/2 years old. Replaced an AEG that was maybe about 12-13
years old. (We had a borrowed hotpoint in between for a couple of
months, and that was crap).

I've been very pleased with it, it's quiet (spec says 44 dB) in
reality that means it's very quiet :-) I can hear it but it
doesn't intrude, unlike the AEG, which I had to turn the radio up
a bit (as for the hotpoint, that made a right old
racket)

Cleaning performance is excellent, it will clean things like
casserole dishes with baked on bits perfectly most of the time,
even on the Eco programme ( though as with modern machines that
does take a long time, but mostly that's not an issue. If I want
it done quicker here are faster programmes.

It costs about £400
Chris French

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 17:23:23 +0000, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

On 02/02/2016 16:24, Tim Watts wrote:

Miele...

I've gone from a dead Neff to a Miele and in all honesty I have to say
the Neff cleaned significantly better.
If we use the Miele on eco or sensor, unless the stuff is almost clean
before being washed there's regularly crusty stuff left on bowls and
cutlery (in the cuttlery draw)

Set it to intensive and stuff gets cleaned properly though.

Funnily enough, our nearly-new Bosch does the same on 'Eco'. I run it on
'Auto' and occasionally 'Intensive'. Probably a very very similar machine.
(it replaced a 14 year old Bosch that had only very minor repairs over
that time, until the pump died and I decided 'time to replace the whole
thing'; I probably spent about £25 on spares over that time).

Bosch (etc.) parts are easily and quickly obtainable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2016 18:46, Bob Eager wrote:

Funnily enough, our nearly-new Bosch does the same on 'Eco'. I run it on
'Auto' and occasionally 'Intensive'. Probably a very very similar machine.

Thanks to this thread I stumbled upon an on-line user manual for Miele
dishwasher and there amongst the pages of programmable functions was one
that said something like "to remove tough residue on sensor program set
auto adjust to on"
After faffing around pressing buttons and powering down and up then
waiting for 5 flashes I found the setting and set it to 1 (on) and so
far every sensor wash has been perfect.

No idea what extra washing,temperature or black magic etc I've now
activated but it's done the trick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Malcolm Race wrote:
We have a Hotpoint semi built in dishwasher which after a couple of
repairs now has a failed programmer. It is about 10 years old.

Its replacement might, or might not be included in a kitchen refurb.

I can buy (from ao.com) an identical replacement for £300 or a
Siemens/NEFF etc fro around £500

Any recommendations from the panel? Obviously if we go for the full
refurb we could buy a fully built in machine.

On the same track we currently have a built in 50/50 fridge freezer.
We would like, because of our current use, the possibility of a built
in with a larger freezer and smaller fridge, say 35/65. I cannot find
this type of appliance - the only ones available are 540/50 or those
with a smaller freezer and larger fridge. Again any suggestions.

Malcolm

Welcome to the club. I have been looking for a 70/30 freezer
fridge for years and apart from building one I have no other solution.
We need Apple to get into the appliance business in order for new
thinking. The same problems of, one size fits all, bedevils all large
appliances design. I have a combind gas/electric hob, unseen once you
leave France. I see many products around the world which our major
buyers are ignorant of or not prepared to risk being wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 February 2016 19:06:29 UTC, Capitol wrote:
Malcolm Race wrote:

On the same track we currently have a built in 50/50 fridge freezer.
We would like, because of our current use, the possibility of a built
in with a larger freezer and smaller fridge, say 35/65. I cannot find
this type of appliance - the only ones available are 540/50 or those
with a smaller freezer and larger fridge. Again any suggestions.

Welcome to the club. I have been looking for a 70/30 freezer
fridge for years and apart from building one I have no other solution.

separate fridge & freezer works for some.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

I have been looking for a 70/30 freezer fridge for years and apart
from building one I have no other solution. We need Apple to get into
the appliance business in order for new thinking.

Yeah, because people are just *queueing* up to spend £5k on a fridge
that needs your house rewiring to allow you to plug it in, the door is
super slim but can't hold Tetrapaks, and apple get a 15% cut from
supermarkets to automatically re-order your milk for you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

I have been looking for a 70/30 freezer fridge for years and apart
from building one I have no other solution. We need Apple to get into
the appliance business in order for new thinking.

Yeah, because people are just *queueing* up to spend £5k on a fridge
that needs your house rewiring to allow you to plug it in, the door is
super slim but can't hold Tetrapaks, and apple get a 15% cut from
supermarkets to automatically re-order your milk for you.

LOL

Double LOL

its shoes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/16 19:16, Andy Burns wrote:
Capitol wrote:

I have been looking for a 70/30 freezer fridge for years and apart
from building one I have no other solution. We need Apple to get into
the appliance business in order for new thinking.

Yeah, because people are just *queueing* up to spend £5k on a fridge
that needs your house rewiring to allow you to plug it in, the door is
super slim but can't hold Tetrapaks, and apple get a 15% cut from
supermarkets to automatically re-order your milk for you.

And it comes in apples custom sized containers, which are the only ones
that fit the door.

And it will stop working in 5 years and there wont be any spares.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

I have been looking for a 70/30 freezer fridge for years and apart
from building one I have no other solution. We need Apple to get into
the appliance business in order for new thinking.

Yeah, because people are just *queueing* up to spend £5k on a fridge
that needs your house rewiring to allow you to plug it in, the door is
super slim but can't hold Tetrapaks, and apple get a 15% cut from
supermarkets to automatically re-order your milk for you.

And it comes in apples custom sized containers, which are the only ones
that fit the door.

And it will stop working in 5 years and there wont be any spares.

Doesn't AppleCare only go up to 3 years?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

I have been looking for a 70/30 freezer fridge for years and apart
from building one I have no other solution. We need Apple to get into
the appliance business in order for new thinking.

Yeah, because people are just *queueing* up to spend £5k on a fridge
that needs your house rewiring to allow you to plug it in, the door is
super slim but can't hold Tetrapaks, and apple get a 15% cut from
supermarkets to automatically re-order your milk for you.

And it comes in apples custom sized containers, which are the only ones
that fit the door.

And it will stop working in 5 years and there wont be any spares.

Doesn't AppleCare only go up to 3 years?

They're still happy to replace the battery or screen in a much older iphone
3G.
That was released in July 2008.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

I have been looking for a 70/30 freezer fridge for years and apart
from building one I have no other solution. We need Apple to get into
the appliance business in order for new thinking.

Yeah, because people are just *queueing* up to spend £5k on a fridge
that needs your house rewiring to allow you to plug it in, the door is
super slim but can't hold Tetrapaks, and apple get a 15% cut from
supermarkets to automatically re-order your milk for you.

And it comes in apples custom sized containers, which are the only ones
that fit the door.

And it will stop working in 5 years and there wont be any spares.

There are plenty of spares for 5 year old iphones that stop working.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 19:16:58 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

We need Apple to get into the appliance business in order for new
thinking.

Yeah, because people are just *queueing* up to spend £5k on a fridge
that needs your house rewiring to allow you to plug it in, the door is
super slim but can't hold Tetrapaks, and apple get a 15% cut from
supermarkets to automatically re-order your milk for you.

We laugh because it's true.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-02-02, Andy Burns wrote:

Capitol wrote:

I have been looking for a 70/30 freezer fridge for years and apart
from building one I have no other solution. We need Apple to get into
the appliance business in order for new thinking.

Yeah, because people are just *queueing* up to spend £5k on a fridge
that needs your house rewiring to allow you to plug it in, the door is
super slim but can't hold Tetrapaks, and apple get a 15% cut from
supermarkets to automatically re-order your milk for you.

Samsung has already cocked this up (which doesn't surprise me; from
what I've seen their smartphones are full of crapware).

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/samsung-rf28hmelbsr-hackers-steal-gmail-login-details-smart-fridge-1516940

I think some of their smartfridges have problems with an out-of-date
google calendar API (IANMTU).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-02-02, Andy Burns wrote:

Capitol wrote:

I have been looking for a 70/30 freezer fridge for years and apart
from building one I have no other solution. We need Apple to get into
the appliance business in order for new thinking.

Yeah, because people are just *queueing* up to spend £5k on a fridge
that needs your house rewiring to allow you to plug it in, the door is
super slim but can't hold Tetrapaks, and apple get a 15% cut from
supermarkets to automatically re-order your milk for you.

Samsung has already cocked this up (which doesn't surprise me; from
what I've seen their smartphones are full of crapware).

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/samsung-rf28hmelbsr-hackers-steal-gmail-login-details-smart-fridge-1516940

I think some of their smartfridges have problems with an out-of-date
google calendar API (IANMTU).

Oh God how is that ever going to work.

IME

a) Samsung (and mother other consumer goods makes) get bored of products
about 12-18 months after release and don't issue any more updates;

b) Google (and others) have form for constantly changing APIs.

Recipe for disaster...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Malcolm Race wrote:
[...]

That isnt really true of fridges and freezers even tho some
approaches like your 70/30 requirement aren't catered for.

You can get that with separate dedicated freezers and fridges tho.

I have a combind gas/electric hob, unseen once you leave France.

France isnt the only place that has those.

I see many products around the world which our major buyers are ignorant
of or not prepared to risk being wrong.

Or just don't see that there is much demand for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hilo Black wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Malcolm Race wrote:
[...]

Nothing useful to say again Rod!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Hilo Black wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Malcolm Race wrote:
[...]

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 3 February 2016 20:44:38 UTC, Hilo Black wrote:
"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...

Nothing useful to say again Rod!

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

I don't think he's ever needed to. Or will.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Hilo Black
wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message

Nothing useful to say again Rod!

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

**** off Woddles.

Go and **** yourself, Timmy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 15:11:53 +0000, Malcolm Race wrote:

We have a Hotpoint semi built in dishwasher which after a couple of
repairs now has a failed programmer. It is about 10 years old.

Its replacement might, or might not be included in a kitchen refurb.

I can buy (from ao.com) an identical replacement for £300 or a
Siemens/NEFF etc fro around £500

Any recommendations from the panel? Obviously if we go for the full
refurb we could buy a fully built in machine.

On the same track we currently have a built in 50/50 fridge freezer. We
would like, because of our current use, the possibility of a built in
with a larger freezer and smaller fridge, say 35/65. I cannot find this
type of appliance - the only ones available are 540/50 or those with a
smaller freezer and larger fridge. Again any suggestions.

Malcolm

I know nothing about dishwashers, but the Siemens washing machine that I had
was crap. I won't go into the details, but eventually John Lewis picked up
the tab and I now have a JL own-brand one that's so like AEG that the
instructions are pretty well interchangeable.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 03/02/2016 09:19, PeterC wrote:
Any recommendations from the panel? Obviously if we go for the full
refurb we could buy a fully built in machine.

We had when we bought this house fully integrated everything, when I
refurbished the kitchen it was with wider worktops and matching doors
with the rest of the units this allowed free standing dishwasher/wash
machine and tumble dryer to be hidden behind the matching unit doors.
It is maybe an extra door to open but I have a free choice on free
standing stuff rather than integrated. We have full size free standing
fridge and separate freezer though.
Maybe easier for us as the kitchen has space at 26 feet long.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 09:19:29 +0000, PeterC
wrote:

I know nothing about dishwashers, but the Siemens washing machine that I had
was crap. I won't go into the details, but eventually John Lewis picked up
the tab

Allegedly announced by a member of staff on a broken down train near
Petersfield a few years back, " Ladies and Gentleman we apologize for
the delay, Please note this train is manufactured by Siemens ,you may
wish to bear this in mind in the future when you purchase your
domestic appliances.

G.Harman

Dishwashers GMM UK diy 26 July 1st 12 06:37 PM
Dishwashers ... Arfa Daily UK diy 19 February 5th 09 09:40 AM
Dishwashers Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 1 February 13th 08 05:44 PM
DISHWASHERS kram UK diy 4 August 27th 03 03:16 PM