Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Waterproof panels for boxing in in bathroom

I'm looking for a semi rigid waterproof panel to make a bath panel and a
bit of boxing around the rear of a loo.

One possible contender might be the Wickes panels:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/shower-panel...-shower-panels

9mm WBP core, laminated. Where water is always present, it will be
sealed in.

For a top surface to pipe boxing, I'd prefer to loose fit (with some
magnets or mirror screws) for easy removal - this will only get exposed
to water during a wipe down once a week/fortnight.

9mm is a tad thin for a bath panel, but it can have some batten bonded
to the back to assist stiffness. Should be OK as is for boxing.

Does anyone have experience with this - or even know of a comparable or
better product? No MDF cores under any circumstances...

A lot of the other panelling seems to be foam cored and designed to bond
to a rigid substrate - I'm after something with a bit of integral strength.

Ta

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2016 12:13, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

I'd expect 9 mm ply to be plenty thick enough for a bath panel assuming
it is supported at each edge. As you say, trivial to add another batten
in the middle.

+1 for loose fixing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/16 16:14, newshound wrote:

I'd expect 9 mm ply to be plenty thick enough for a bath panel assuming
it is supported at each edge. As you say, trivial to add another batten
in the middle.

+1 for loose fixing.

I took a detour to Wickes after a dump run. Fixing the dormer floor
means finding all the crap you should have thrown away before!

Anyway, they had some samples at Bexhill and I was well impressed. Foot
square ish and I could not bend them, even over my knee. They've
laminated front and back and that seems to make them unbendable - whilst
remaining light.

These probably won't need secondary battening. What they don't have on
sale is any edging (they claim they do, but the bloke couldn't find any)
so I need to find maybe some C channel of the right sort of size...

As to boxing things in, no contest. They only downside is they are
****ing expensive - I am hoping to do it all out of one 4x8' panel.