Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Oak panels for bathroom wainscoting?

Greetings-

We're remodeling a bathroom in our 1957 home, the interior of which is
almost entirely honey-colored oak (trim, windows, stairs, floors) so
we're considering some sort of oak wainscoting in the bathroom. We
don't like the look of beadboard or any of the manufactured panel
products we've seen, so would have to make our own paneling to fit.
Something like in this picture, perhaps, but in unpainted oak:
http://www.hgtv.ca/hometostay/source_1011.aspx
We'd end up with about 15 linear feet of panels on three walls, about
40" high, transitioning to plaster above.

I have 500 bd feet of red oak boards in the shop waiting to be used
for something, so could mill some into panels and trim for the
bathroom. Or the panels could be cut from oak ply. I'm not sure how
these systems work though-- do the panels float in rabbets in the
trim? Are they glued or nailed to the wall? (we have to remove
existing wall tile, so there will be new wallboard behind whatever
goes up on the lower half of the walls) For a damp location like this
(it's our main bathroom) I assume I should finish both sides of the
panels and seal the end grain as well, no?

If anyone's tried this or has advice, we'd appreciate some pointers to
help us decide what to do.

thanks,

Kiwanda

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would attach oak ply to the walls first screwing where the rails & stiles
will cover, then attach your red oak to that. If you change your mind &
decide to paint, then paint the ply before attaching the oak as there will
be movement & the unpainted wood will show. Same for staining, if it's just
poly, then I wouldn't worry, just three coats on the outside should do it.
Finishing both sides especially close to the floor makes sense.

"Kiwanda" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 20:07:17 -0000, Kiwanda
wrote:

I have 500 bd feet of red oak boards in the shop waiting to be used
for something, so could mill some into panels and trim for the
bathroom. Or the panels could be cut from oak ply. I'm not sure how
these systems work though-- do the panels float in rabbets in the
trim? Are they glued or nailed to the wall?

The easiest way IMO would be to panel the walls first laying out any
seams to hide behind the styles. You could use 1/4" oak veneer or
thicker. Then rail and style on the wall on top of the 1/4" with your
oak stock. This method will require a cap piece to cover the 1/4"
that will show at the top behind your rails but eliminates the need to
rabbet for the panels or running down the styles for thickness. Once
you have your rails and styles in you can leave them square or route
the inside of the squares or you could use a molding in the squares.
If you use a panel molding in the squares all of the rails and styles
could be made of plywood since you will cover the edges with the
molding.

Mike O.

Wainscoting Buck Turgidson Woodworking 20 April 28th 07 06:09 AM
Supply 24 Port Patch Panels,24 Patch Panels,24 Port UTP Patch Panels,24 Port Cat5e Patch Panels,RJ45 Patch Panels,Modular Patch Panels [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 1st 06 09:28 AM
Wainscoting scbody Woodworking 3 December 28th 05 01:23 PM
Preparing pine wainscoting for a bathroom Adam Home Repair 4 March 8th 05 12:24 PM
Wainscoting Mark Ohlund Woodworking 4 March 13th 04 04:24 PM