Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spectacle lens cleaner

My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it be
OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

Spectacle lens cleaner?

What's wrong with spitting on then and using your T shirt to clean them?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 21:17:20 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

I buy Solution 30 off Chemist Direct (quite cheap). It lasts ages,
particularly because:

a) Out and about, I use Aldi spectacle wipes
b) I only use enough to clean the lens I need
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 January 2016 21:18:26 UTC, Mike Barnes wrote:
My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Been doing that for 45 years!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 21:17:20 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

IPA will clean lenses well, not necessarily recommended if they are in a
plastic frame.

You can do worse than clean them in the morning, while in the bathroom,
with warm water and soap, dry them with bog roll and then just clear them
during the day as and when necessary with a microfibre cloth.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 21:17:20 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

http://www.safechem.co.uk/index.php/...al-Laboratory/
LENS-CLEAN.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 21:57:14 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 21:17:20 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

I buy Solution 30 off Chemist Direct (quite cheap). It lasts ages,
particularly because:

a) Out and about, I use Aldi spectacle wipes b) I only use enough to
clean the lens I need

Oh, here's a link:

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/solut...400ml-aerosol/
prd-3k4
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

Warm water and washing up liquid - I'm an even bigger "cheapskate" than you,
as SWMBO buys the stuff.

BTW, that's what my local Optician's technician recommended more years ago
than I can remember (and I started wearing glasses at the age of nineteen).

If I'm out and about and the spec's need a clean - I simply breath over the
lenses and wipe with a nice clean cotton hanky.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 January 2016 21:18:26 UTC, Mike Barnes wrote:
My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Spectacle lenses are often coated and can't be cleaned with an abrasive cleaner. You're not even supposed to use detergents.

Especially the plastic lenses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

Warm water and washing up liquid - I'm an even bigger "cheapskate" than you,
as SWMBO buys the stuff.

The thing is the pocket-sized bottle of spectacle cleaner lives on my
desk along with the pencils, pens, erasers, etc. I only use it when the
film on the specs starts disturbing my concentration, and the last thing
I want then is faff. I don't use it a great deal but super-convenience
is the priority.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/16 21:53, ARW wrote:
"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it be
OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

Spectacle lens cleaner?

What's wrong with spitting on then and using your T shirt to clean them?

It assumes the T shirt is cleaner than the glasses...

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote
Mike Barnes wrote

My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner
has run out. Would it be OK to refill it with ordinary
(e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

Spectacle lenses are often coated and can't be cleaned with an abrasive
cleaner.

Yes.

You're not even supposed to use detergents.

Bull****.

Especially the plastic lenses.

More bull**** with the claim about detergents.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

Warm water and washing up liquid - I'm an even bigger "cheapskate" than
you,
as SWMBO buys the stuff.

The thing is the pocket-sized bottle of spectacle cleaner lives on my desk
along with the pencils, pens, erasers, etc. I only use it when the film on
the specs starts disturbing my concentration, and the last thing I want
then is faff. I don't use it a great deal but super-convenience is the
priority.

When my little spray bottle ran out I topped it up with Gordon's Gin - works
a treat

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/16 00:27, Cash wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

Warm water and washing up liquid - I'm an even bigger "cheapskate" than you,
as SWMBO buys the stuff.

Warm water and Handwash liquid. My optician claims washing up liquid
removes the varnish off the frames.

Another Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote:
On 29/01/16 00:27, Cash wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

Warm water and washing up liquid - I'm an even bigger "cheapskate" than you,
as SWMBO buys the stuff.

Warm water and Handwash liquid. My optician claims washing up liquid
removes the varnish off the frames.

Hmm, methinks your optician is worried about losing sales of cleaning
fluid.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 9:18:26 PM UTC, Mike Barnes wrote:
My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

I believe that it's meths. Thats what I refilled mine with. It works and it hasn't damaged the coating on my plastic lenses in over a year of use.

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2016 21:17, Mike Barnes wrote:
My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

Many years ago, a former optician of mine (now sadly dead) recommended
holding your specs in the steam from a dishwasher at the end of a wash
cycle, and then wiping them with a clean tissue. Works a treat!

Otherwise, we use spectacle wipes from Aldi. If you line all your specs
up, you can clean several pairs with one tissue as long as you don't
hang about - 'cos the tissue soon dries out.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

Warm water and washing up liquid - I'm an even bigger "cheapskate" than
you,
as SWMBO buys the stuff.

The thing is the pocket-sized bottle of spectacle cleaner lives on my desk
along with the pencils, pens, erasers, etc. I only use it when the film on
the specs starts disturbing my concentration, and the last thing I want
then is faff. I don't use it a great deal but super-convenience is the
priority.

When my little spray bottle ran out I topped it up with Gordon's Gin - works
a treat

Andrew

Thats what we used in submarines to clean the periscope and binocular
lenses. Can't be bettered, particularly as the gin was duty free.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 28/01/2016, R D S supposed :
You can do worse than clean them in the morning, while in the bathroom,
with warm water and soap, dry them with bog roll and then just clear them
during the day as and when necessary with a microfibre cloth.

... but not much worse!

Handsoaps often often contain lanolin etc. so they leave an oily film
on a lens. I find Fairy better.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
On 28/01/2016 21:17, Mike Barnes wrote:
My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would
it be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and
glass cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

Many years ago, a former optician of mine (now sadly dead) recommended
holding your specs in the steam from a dishwasher at the end of a wash
cycle, and then wiping them with a clean tissue. Works a treat!

Otherwise, we use spectacle wipes from Aldi. If you line all your
specs up, you can clean several pairs with one tissue as long as you
don't hang about - 'cos the tissue soon dries out.

Yip.
Dead cheap and they work very well.
They also get muck off keyboards - the plastic surrounding the keys that is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 28/01/2016, R D S supposed :
You can do worse than clean them in the morning, while in the
bathroom, with warm water and soap, dry them with bog roll and then
just clear them during the day as and when necessary with a
microfibre cloth.

.. but not much worse!

Handsoaps often often contain lanolin etc. so they leave an oily film
on a lens. I find Fairy better.

Fairy contains salt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2016 20:47, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
On 28/01/2016 21:17, Mike Barnes wrote:
My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would
it be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and
glass cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

Many years ago, a former optician of mine (now sadly dead) recommended
holding your specs in the steam from a dishwasher at the end of a wash
cycle, and then wiping them with a clean tissue. Works a treat!

Otherwise, we use spectacle wipes from Aldi. If you line all your
specs up, you can clean several pairs with one tissue as long as you
don't hang about - 'cos the tissue soon dries out.

Yip.
Dead cheap and they work very well.
They also get muck off keyboards - the plastic surrounding the keys that is.

And on smart-phone and tablet screens for that matter.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 08:00:30 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 28/01/16 21:53, ARW wrote:
"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

Spectacle lens cleaner?

What's wrong with spitting on then and using your T shirt to clean
them?

It assumes the T shirt is cleaner than the glasses...

I have some travel shirts (Rohan) which I wear a lot. Very thin, close
weave, polycotton type material. useless for cleaning glasses. So they
sew a rectangle of suitable glass-cleaning material on the inside of the
bottom hem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 23:20:12 -0000 (UTC), R D S wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 21:17:20 +0000, Mike Barnes wrote:

My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

IPA will clean lenses well

Sounds like a waste of good beer.

Also the alcoholic content may be quite low.

Whoosh------------------------------------------------

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My pocket-sized bottle of spectacle lens cleaner has run out. Would it
be OK to refill it with ordinary (e.g. Sainsbury's) window and glass
cleaner?

Cheapskate? Me?

Just buy some impregnated glasses wipes from Aldi or Lidl.

(If they are really dirty just wash them in water+washing-up liquid first)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2016 23:20, R D S wrote:
You can do worse than clean them in the morning, while in the bathroom,
with warm water and soap, dry them with bog roll

Not bog roll, wood fibre is surprisingly abrasive. Use your tee-shirt.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 21:35:02 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 28/01/2016 23:20, R D S wrote:
You can do worse than clean them in the morning, while in the bathroom,
with warm water and soap, dry them with bog roll

Not bog roll, wood fibre is surprisingly abrasive. Use your tee-shirt.

Andy

If it's soft enough for my arsehole it should be OK on a decent lens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2016 23:20, R D S wrote:
You can do worse than clean them in the morning, while in the bathroom,
with warm water and soap, dry them with bog roll

Not bog roll, wood fibre is surprisingly abrasive. Use your tee-shirt.

Andy

If it's soft enough for my arsehole it should be OK on a decent lens.

Must have a dead delicate arsehole

Wonder whats been in it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2016 23:20, R D S wrote:
You can do worse than clean them in the morning, while in the bathroom,
with warm water and soap, dry them with bog roll

Not bog roll, wood fibre is surprisingly abrasive. Use your tee-shirt.

Andy

If it's soft enough for my arsehole it should be OK on a decent lens.

Must have a dead delicate arsehole

Probably has piles of sensitive nerves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2016 23:20, R D S wrote:
You can do worse than clean them in the morning, while in the bathroom,
with warm water and soap, dry them with bog roll

Not bog roll, wood fibre is surprisingly abrasive. Use your tee-shirt.

Andy

I don't often find the need to clean my glasses more than once a day. I
clean them first thing when I'm getting dressed, using the back side of
the fresh pair of cotton underpants I'm about to wear to wipe my breath
off of the lenses.

A guaranteed fresh clean cotton polishing 'cloth' every time and
whatever tiny amount of 'dirt' that gets picked up is of no consequence
since it's trapped on the outer surface which only comes into contact
with the inner surface of whatever trousers, usually a pair of jeans, I
happen to be wearing that day.

I'll give them a clean with ordinary hand soap and running water about
once every few months or so or whenever I feel such 'extra care' is
required when they become contaminated with something best not dealt with
in the usual way (usually grease smears or splashes).

--
Johnny B Good