Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Identify this electrical fitting

This is a screw down fitting to to take a lead out of a hole in a flat surface.

Anybody know what they are called, I need to get a replacement. Tried looking at Maplin and a few other sites ... with no luck so far.

http://tinyurl.com/z9s49bm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2016 20:11, Rick Hughes wrote:
This is a screw down fitting to to take a lead out of a hole in a flat surface.

Anybody know what they are called, I need to get a replacement. Tried looking at Maplin and a few other sites ... with no luck so far.

http://tinyurl.com/z9s49bm

Not exactly that, but might do the job
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...ion/index.html

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2016 20:11, Rick Hughes wrote:
This is a screw down fitting to to take a lead out of a hole in a flat surface.

Anybody know what they are called, I need to get a replacement. Tried looking at Maplin and a few other sites ... with no luck so far.

http://tinyurl.com/z9s49bm

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page8.htm#clips

Shows a "cable entry cover" - perhaps larger than what you want.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2016 20:11, Rick Hughes wrote:
This is a screw down fitting to to take a lead out of a hole in a flat surface.

Anybody know what they are called, I need to get a replacement. Tried looking at Maplin and a few other sites ... with no luck so far.

http://tinyurl.com/z9s49bm

Looks like a perfect excuse to buy a 3-D printer!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 22:01:54 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 02/01/2016 20:11, Rick Hughes wrote:
This is a screw down fitting to to take a lead out of a hole in a flat surface.

Anybody know what they are called, I need to get a replacement. Tried looking at Maplin and a few other sites ... with no luck so far.

http://tinyurl.com/z9s49bm

Looks like a perfect excuse to buy a 3-D printer!

Looking at the item (and given all the dimensions) I'd be reasonably
happy designing most of it in Sketchup (and printing it in black PLA
[1]) but I don't know how to duplicate the design where the exit
'tunnel' shape blends back into the base with curve in both
dimensions? ;-(

I could certainly do it with a square section 'tunnel' and say a 45
Deg 'slope' from the top of the tunnel to the base ... or a rounded
tunnel with a flat end?

If Rick wanted provide the dimensions (to whatever accuracy he needs)
and anyone knows how to turn such into a .stl I'd be happy (in the
spirit of diy and as a group experiment g) to print it and stick it
in the post. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] I believe PLA would certainly be tough enough but I have no idea
how long it would last if exposed to the elements or if it was
supposed to conform to any combustibility (or self-extinguishing)
requirements.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02 Jan 2016, Rick Hughes grunted:

This is a screw down fitting to to take a lead out of a hole in a flat
surface.

Anybody know what they are called, I need to get a replacement. Tried
looking at Maplin and a few other sites ... with no luck so far.

http://tinyurl.com/z9s49bm

I've never tried using it myself so I may be way off beam, but could the
original be repaired by casting with that cold liquid metal stuff?

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster writes:
On 02 Jan 2016, Rick Hughes grunted:

This is a screw down fitting to to take a lead out of a hole in a flat
surface.

Anybody know what they are called, I need to get a replacement. Tried
looking at Maplin and a few other sites ... with no luck so far.

http://tinyurl.com/z9s49bm

I've never tried using it myself so I may be way off beam, but could the
original be repaired by casting with that cold liquid metal stuff?

I'd try using it as-is, with a mudguard washer.
Could bend the hanging edge of the mudguard washer over to make up
for missing material if necessary.
Fit one over the other hole too, to minimise chance of same thing
happening on other side.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2016 10:53, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Lobster writes:
On 02 Jan 2016, Rick Hughes grunted:

This is a screw down fitting to to take a lead out of a hole in a flat
surface.

Anybody know what they are called, I need to get a replacement. Tried
looking at Maplin and a few other sites ... with no luck so far.

http://tinyurl.com/z9s49bm

I've never tried using it myself so I may be way off beam, but could the
original be repaired by casting with that cold liquid metal stuff?

I'd try using it as-is, with a mudguard washer.
Could bend the hanging edge of the mudguard washer over to make up
for missing material if necessary.
Fit one over the other hole too, to minimise chance of same thing
happening on other side.

This site calls similar devices cable hole tidy

http://www.aerialsat.com/cat/cable-hole-tidies.html

--
Chris B News
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 10:53:23 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I'd try using it as-is, with a mudguard washer.
Could bend the hanging edge of the mudguard washer over to make up
for missing material if necessary.
Fit one over the other hole too, to minimise chance of same thing
happening on other side.

That was my thought as well but decided it was too much of a bodge
but if it's not on show... A mudguard/penny washer will be a tad
large as the whole thing is only 35 mm wide. B-)

Ordinary washers would do.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2016 09:43, Lobster wrote:
On 02 Jan 2016, Rick Hughes grunted:

This is a screw down fitting to to take a lead out of a hole in a flat
surface.

Anybody know what they are called, I need to get a replacement. Tried
looking at Maplin and a few other sites ... with no luck so far.

http://tinyurl.com/z9s49bm

I've never tried using it myself so I may be way off beam, but could the
original be repaired by casting with that cold liquid metal stuff?

It's nylon not metal ... and I think metal to nylon stick-on piece won't
hold

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

This is a screw down fitting to to take a lead out of a hole in a flat surface.
Anybody know what they are called

Can't find a direct replacement. If you can get access behind it to fit
a backnut, this search

https://google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=cable+gland+flange+elbow+OR+righ t-angle

seems to turn up some possible alternatives, they all protrude further,
but that's more bend-radius friendly ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2016 20:11, Rick Hughes wrote:
This is a screw down fitting to to take a lead out of a hole in a flat surface.

Anybody know what they are called, I need to get a replacement. Tried looking at Maplin and a few other sites ... with no luck so far.

http://tinyurl.com/z9s49bm

Google images "cable entry cover plate"...

http://www.asap-marine.com/shop_by_c...75-689-691-692

http://www.hillarysboatshop.com.au/p...oductid=118910

http://www.nauticalsports.co.za/prod...y-cover-plate/

Might be a start.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote:

Google images "cable entry cover plate"...

http://www.asap-marine.com/shop_by_c...75-689-691-692

Shows how we all live in our own "search bubble", for me using that
exact image search produces mainly the heavy-handed satellite
installer's bodge type cover, and various others, but not the type Rick
was looking for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2016 09:15, Andy Burns wrote:
Syd Rumpo wrote:

Google images "cable entry cover plate"...

http://www.asap-marine.com/shop_by_c...75-689-691-692

Shows how we all live in our own "search bubble", for me using that
exact image search produces mainly the heavy-handed satellite
installer's bodge type cover, and various others, but not the type Rick
was looking for.

The best search term I found that shows up loads of the items seems to
be 'Transom cable cover' but so far nothing in UK.

Have been told they were supplied by SG Marine Products in Southampton
.... no reply form them yet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2016 09:01, Syd Rumpo wrote:
http://www.asap-marine.com/shop_by_c...75-689-691-692

http://www.hillarysboatshop.com.au/p...oductid=118910

http://www.nauticalsports.co.za/prod...y-cover-plate/

Might be a start.

Cheers

That is exactly what I need - but wrong continent .... with demise of UK
boat building items like this & chandlers shops are disappearing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rick wrote:
On 04/01/2016 09:01, Syd Rumpo wrote:
http://www.asap-marine.com/shop_by_c...75-689-691-692

http://www.hillarysboatshop.com.au/p...oductid=118910

http://www.nauticalsports.co.za/prod...y-cover-plate/

Might be a start.

Cheers

That is exactly what I need - but wrong continent .... with demise of UK
boat building items like this & chandlers shops are disappearing

leisure sailing is on the increase, which probably explains why one of then
best chandlers (Arthur Beale) is in Shaftesbury Avenue, London.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Rick Hughes wrote:

This is a screw down fitting to to take a lead out of a hole in a flat surface.

Anybody know what they are called, I need to get a replacement. Tried looking at Maplin and a few other sites ... with no luck so far.

http://tinyurl.com/z9s49bm

That looks like a door cable loop end as used by automatic doors etc.
Google produces a good few results for that description.
HTH
--
Jim White
Wimbledon London England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2016 20:11, Rick Hughes wrote:
This is a screw down fitting to to take a lead out of a hole in a flat surface.

Anybody know what they are called, I need to get a replacement. Tried looking at Maplin and a few other sites ... with no luck so far.

http://tinyurl.com/z9s49bm

I found a typical description and links on Google:
http://tinyurl.com/htv5fpb

No supplier though
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 12:11:21 -0800 (PST), Rick Hughes
wrote:

This is a screw down fitting to to take a lead out of a hole in a flat surface.

Anybody know what they are called, I need to get a replacement. Tried looking at Maplin and a few other sites ... with no luck so far.

http://tinyurl.com/z9s49bm

I found it! In this video by HawkEye fish-finders and depth-sounders
of how to install a transducer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwufhMxY5u4
The mounting kit is shown, including your cable cover. Unfortunately
the HawkEye website shows that the cable cover is now a different
shape. To get one, you would have to buy the complete transducer
mounting kit 'Airmar® P23 Transom Mount Transducer Bracket Kit'
http://www.hawkeyeelectronics.com/ai...r-bracket-kit/
at $19.99. They claim free shipping but I suspect this is just in USA.

The Airmar European distributors email is

Dave W