Posted to uk.d-i-y
smb smb is offline

Default Fitting extra electrical sockets

I want to fit an additional socket in my living room. I'm finding it hard
to work out whether I can do this myself or not. And if I can, what the
rules are. I did try a web search, honest! I find references to the 17th
additional of the wiring regulations, but it seems the only way to actual
view the regs is to buy a copy - which kinda sucks.

Can someone give me some pointers?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain writes:
On 6 Feb, 19:42, smb wrote:
I want to fit an additional socket in my living room. *I'm finding it hard
to work out whether I can do this myself or not.

Yes. As it's not a special location you can extend existing circuits.
*And if I can, what the
rules are. *I did try a web search, honest! *I find references to the 17th
additional of the wiring regulations, but it seems the only way to actual
view the regs is to buy a copy - which kinda sucks.

Mmm.
Can someone give me some pointers? *

The 17th Edition requires all circuits to be RCD protected unless
they're wired in very restrictive locations or in special cable. So to
comply with 17th Ed you would need to make sure that your living room
circuit is RCD protected. If it isn't then the simplest way is to wire
your new socket as a fused spur and use a RCD-fused connection unit to
provide protection to the new wiring.
Your current wiring needs to be in reasonable condition, of course.

Making one socket comply to 17th when all the rest of the installation
doesn't is, frankly, barmey. If you're going to go anyway towards this,
the only sensible thing to do would be to put the whole ring on an RCD.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 7:42*pm, smb wrote:
I want to fit an additional socket in my living room. *I'm finding it hard
to work out whether I can do this myself or not. *And if I can, what the
rules are. *I did try a web search, honest! *I find references to the 17th
additional of the wiring regulations, but it seems the only way to actual
view the regs is to buy a copy - which kinda sucks.

Can someone give me some pointers? *

Thanks

Re can you, I dont see how we can know, but its a simple job, so I
expect so.
Re the 17th edition, you can get a guide to it by john whitfield if
you want.
Re compliance with building regs part P, if you submit the paperwork
to your local thingy you might well be the first diyer to do so.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ory:Electrical

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Feb, 19:42, smb wrote:
*I find references to the 17th
additional of the wiring regulations, but it seems the only way to actual
view the regs is to buy a copy - which kinda sucks.

Can someone give me some pointers? *

Try your local public library. If they don't have a copy on the shelf
they may well be able to give you online access to the BSI (from a
computer in the library).

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
John Walliker writes
On 6 Feb, 19:42, smb wrote:
*I find references to the 17th
additional of the wiring regulations, but it seems the only way to actual
view the regs is to buy a copy - which kinda sucks.

Can someone give me some pointers? *

Try your local public library. If they don't have a copy on the shelf
they may well be able to give you online access to the BSI (from a
computer in the library).

Or even from home (or anywhere else with a web connection I guess).

Via our county library services web site (Cambs) we can access a whole
load of reference type stuff, inc the BSI
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Feb, 16:57, chris French
wrote:

Or even from home (or anywhere else with a web connection I guess).

Via our county library services web site (Cambs) we can access a whole
load of reference type stuff, inc the BSI

Not in Surrey. For the last few months I have been getting this
message from home, but the service is available from the library
computers:

"British Standards are available for reference online at all Surrey
libraries.
Our apologies to users who have been accustomed to accessing British
Standards from home. We regret that due to technical issues this is
not possible at the moment, but efforts are being made to rectify
this.
If you need to print out part of a Standard, staff can arrange this
for you through our Enquiries Direct service."

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
smb smb is offline

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:57:41 +0000, chris French wrote:
In message
,
John Walliker writes
On 6 Feb, 19:42, smb wrote:
*I find references to the 17th
additional of the wiring regulations, but it seems the only way to actual
view the regs is to buy a copy - which kinda sucks.

Can someone give me some pointers? *

Try your local public library. If they don't have a copy on the shelf
they may well be able to give you online access to the BSI (from a
computer in the library).

Or even from home (or anywhere else with a web connection I guess).

Via our county library services web site (Cambs) we can access a whole
load of reference type stuff, inc the BSI

Hey, thanks to all who replied.

I'll try the library, and might well be back to ask a few more questions
if I can't get my head round it all.

Cheers

flush fitting 13A sockets onto bare brickwork. Mark Gillespie UK diy 24 August 12th 07 10:06 PM
Advise on fitting wall sockets and related wires bp UK diy 12 June 7th 07 02:52 PM
overloading electrical sockets ?? NC UK diy 7 June 1st 06 10:55 PM
Electrical Sockets Mark UK diy 23 August 25th 05 10:02 AM
Electrical sockets: not plumb [email protected] UK diy 5 February 14th 05 04:56 PM