Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default flush fitting 13A sockets onto bare brickwork.

Hi, I am having a conservatory dwarf wall put up my a builder mate of
mine. I am having bare brickwork on the inside (i.e. no plastering), But
I want to also have flush fitting mains sockets.

Can this be done? if so, how? The wall is current at DPC level,I am
asking now, as I figure I have the additional option of precutting the
bricks before they are laid.

Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:31:31 +0100, "Mark Gillespie"
mused:

Hi, I am having a conservatory dwarf wall put up my a builder mate of
mine. I am having bare brickwork on the inside (i.e. no plastering), But
I want to also have flush fitting mains sockets.

Can this be done? if so, how? The wall is current at DPC level,I am
asking now, as I figure I have the additional option of precutting the
bricks before they are laid.

Same way as you would flush mount any socket, cut the box flush into
the surrounding material.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:36:35 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:31:31 +0100, "Mark Gillespie"
mused:

Hi, I am having a conservatory dwarf wall put up my a builder mate of
mine. I am having bare brickwork on the inside (i.e. no plastering),
But
I want to also have flush fitting mains sockets.

Can this be done? if so, how? The wall is current at DPC level,I am
asking now, as I figure I have the additional option of precutting the
bricks before they are laid.

Same way as you would flush mount any socket, cut the box flush into
the surrounding material.

Is there a way of doing this without damaging the bricks? Most of my
previous attempts on plastered walls have been pretty poor!!!

Shame nobody has come up with a special tool to do this.. (or perhaps they
have.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:31:31 +0100, "Mark Gillespie"
mused:

Hi, I am having a conservatory dwarf wall put up my a builder mate of
mine. I am having bare brickwork on the inside (i.e. no plastering), But
I want to also have flush fitting mains sockets.

Can this be done? if so, how? The wall is current at DPC level,I am
asking now, as I figure I have the additional option of precutting the
bricks before they are laid.

Same way as you would flush mount any socket, cut the box flush into
the surrounding material.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

And then have a good think as to how you will "invisibly" wire them!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-11 16:31:31 +0100, "Mark Gillespie" said:

Hi, I am having a conservatory dwarf wall put up my a builder mate of
mine. I am having bare brickwork on the inside (i.e. no plastering),
But I want to also have flush fitting mains sockets.

Can this be done? if so, how? The wall is current at DPC level,I am
asking now, as I figure I have the additional option of precutting the
bricks before they are laid.

Cheers.

It can be done in the same way as for an already erected wall (e.g.
plastered, plasterboard etc.); but you can get a neater job by cutting
the bricks during construction.

You can put the metal boxes in during construction as well or afterwards.

It's also a helpful idea to run cables in before insulating materials
and if you have doors and want to run cables underneath the openings,
that can be done in large diameter flexible conduit before the floor is
finished.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:31:31 +0100, "Mark Gillespie"
mused:

Hi, I am having a conservatory dwarf wall put up my a builder mate of
mine. I am having bare brickwork on the inside (i.e. no plastering), But
I want to also have flush fitting mains sockets.

Can this be done? if so, how? The wall is current at DPC level,I am
asking now, as I figure I have the additional option of precutting the
bricks before they are laid.

Same way as you would flush mount any socket, cut the box flush into
the surrounding material.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Then figure out how you're going to get the cables from any socket into and
out of the box cut 'flush into the surrounding material; !

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-11 17:36:56 +0100, "Buckgnat" said:

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:31:31 +0100, "Mark Gillespie"
mused:

Hi, I am having a conservatory dwarf wall put up my a builder mate of
mine. I am having bare brickwork on the inside (i.e. no plastering), But
I want to also have flush fitting mains sockets.

Can this be done? if so, how? The wall is current at DPC level,I am
asking now, as I figure I have the additional option of precutting the
bricks before they are laid.

Same way as you would flush mount any socket, cut the box flush into
the surrounding material.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

And then have a good think as to how you will "invisibly" wire them!

Very simple. The cable goes into the cavity before the conservatory
superstructure is built onto the dwarf wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-11 18:07:31 +0100, "Brian Sharrock" said:

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:31:31 +0100, "Mark Gillespie"
mused:

Hi, I am having a conservatory dwarf wall put up my a builder mate of
mine. I am having bare brickwork on the inside (i.e. no plastering), But
I want to also have flush fitting mains sockets.

Can this be done? if so, how? The wall is current at DPC level,I am
asking now, as I figure I have the additional option of precutting the
bricks before they are laid.

Same way as you would flush mount any socket, cut the box flush into
the surrounding material.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Then figure out how you're going to get the cables from any socket into and
out of the box cut 'flush into the surrounding material; !

Simple. Use the cavity. Run the cables before completing construction.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 18:25:54 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2007-08-11 18:07:31 +0100, "Brian Sharrock" said:

"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

Subsequent replacement of such cables might be a bit of a challenge...

:-)
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Drill lots of holes in the area you wish to mount your pattress box. Remove
what is left by carefully chiselling out with a chisel/bolster.

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-11 18:07:31 +0100, "Brian Sharrock" said:

"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

Piece of cake - attach new to old and pull!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-11 18:07:31 +0100, "Brian Sharrock"
said:

"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

It is as easy as that. I once did somthing similar on a sandstone wall.
Cutting out the backbox holes was done with a angle grinder, a hammer and
chisel and patience.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 18:46:58 +0100, Frank Erskine
mused:

On 2007-08-11 18:07:31 +0100, "Brian Sharrock" said:

"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

And, who gives a frig?

:-)

Note that I have observed the smiley.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-11 18:46:58 +0100, Frank Erskine

On 2007-08-11 18:07:31 +0100, "Brian Sharrock" said:

"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

So don't use rubber and include some lengths of polypropylene cord.

Alternatively, run in lengths of 20 or 25mm flexible conduit and do the
wiring in singles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

So don't use rubber and include some lengths of polypropylene cord.

Alternatively, run in lengths of 20 or 25mm flexible conduit and do the
wiring in singles.

Or surface wire in MICC.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
wrote
Drill lots of holes in the area you wish to mount your pattress box. Remove
what is left by carefully chiselling out with a chisel/bolster.

As I understand it the wall isn't built yet so just use a back-box
instead of a brick and/or cut the adjacent brick to obtain the correct
spacing of the mortar joints in the exposed brickwork.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Gillespie wrote:
Hi, I am having a conservatory dwarf wall put up my a builder mate of
mine. I am having bare brickwork on the inside (i.e. no plastering),
But I want to also have flush fitting mains sockets.

Can this be done? if so, how? The wall is current at DPC level,I am
asking now, as I figure I have the additional option of precutting the
bricks before they are laid.

It most certainly can be done, yes.

The key is to get the cables in as you build..if its a cavity wall, no
problem.

If it isn't, try embedding them in the mortar lines. This is probably
against some regulation.

The backing box can be built in as it it was an odd shaped 'brick'

Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-11 18:07:31 +0100, "Brian Sharrock" said:

"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

Why would one ever want to? "subsequent replacement" of ANY wire is a
bit of a problem in most houses..requiring floor lifting and the like.

"Subsequent replacement" of main drains requires trenching and digging.

"Subsequent replacement" of foundations requires the same, when
underpinning.

Let me let you into a secret: Houses are designed to last,and cables are
no exception.

They didn't build the great churches if the mediaeval period saying
'Gee, I wonder how we will replace the gargoyles'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-12 10:47:43 +0100, John Rumm said:

Andy Hall wrote:

So don't use rubber and include some lengths of polypropylene cord.

Alternatively, run in lengths of 20 or 25mm flexible conduit and do the
wiring in singles.

Or surface wire in MICC.

Mmmm... but makes it look a bit industrial..... Better than PVC, I agree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:31:31 +0100, "Mark Gillespie"
mused:

Hi, I am having a conservatory dwarf wall put up my a builder mate of
mine. I am having bare brickwork on the inside (i.e. no plastering),
But
I want to also have flush fitting mains sockets.

Can this be done? if so, how? The wall is current at DPC level,I am
asking now, as I figure I have the additional option of precutting the
bricks before they are laid.

Same way as you would flush mount any socket, cut the box flush into
the surrounding material.

Is there a way of doing this without damaging the bricks? Most of my
previous attempts on plastered walls have been pretty poor!!!

Shame nobody has come up with a special tool to do this.. (or perhaps they
have.)

Yes they have :
http://stores.ebay.ie/PSS-Ltd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:14:40 GMT, Mike Harrison
mused:

wrote:

[...]

Sort of. Doesn't neccesarily do a better job than a lump hammer and
bolster chisel.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Harrison
wrote

Yes they have :
http://stores.ebay.ie/PSS-Ltd

Suitable for breeze block or other such soft materials. The video for
the double box sinker shows it having problems even with breeze blocks.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:34:20 +0100, Alan wrote:

In message , Mike Harrison
wrote

Yes they have :
http://stores.ebay.ie/PSS-Ltd

Suitable for breeze block or other such soft materials. The video for
the double box sinker shows it having problems even with breeze blocks.

I have emailed the guy, and asked about housebrick, and if it eats them....

I should have mentioned, I already have the wiring between the cavity
inhand, I routed it yesterday from inside the house, though a redundant
airbrick, into the conservatory cavity checked it for length, coiled it
back up (as my wall is only at DPC), and will lay it back out when at
socket level (so the wall ties don't interfere with pulling the cable to
the right level).

Indicently, found a nice money saver for extending the airbricks (having a
solid base, and needed to extend the airbricks out to the front of the
conservatory). I used UPVC drainpipe, nice and inexpensive for a 5m
length (£7). Knocked out the old airbricks on the house that will be
below concrete floor level, shoved the pipe in, and out the front through
the cavity at the front of the conservatory right infront of the new
airbricks, and then cemented around them, so concrete does not get in when
poured. Chucked crush and run over the lot, and ready to fill the lot with
concrete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

Mark Gillespie wrote:
Hi, I am having a conservatory dwarf wall put up my a builder mate of
mine. I am having bare brickwork on the inside (i.e. no plastering), But
I want to also have flush fitting mains sockets.

Can this be done? if so, how? The wall is current at DPC level,I am
asking now, as I figure I have the additional option of precutting the
bricks before they are laid.

May be me being a bit dumb but the only way is to precut the bricks to box
depth, drill or cut through the back of them and pull the cables into
place as you build the wall

What would be the point of building the wall first (with the cables in the
cavity) and then cutting the box in and then trying to fish the cables
through the back of the brick afterwards?

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark Gillespie
wrote
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:34:20 +0100, Alan wrote:

In message , Mike
Harrison wrote

Yes they have :
http://stores.ebay.ie/PSS-Ltd

Suitable for breeze block or other such soft materials. The video
for the double box sinker shows it having problems even with breeze
blocks.

I have emailed the guy, and asked about housebrick, and if it eats them....

The ebay page says you could use it at your own risk with brick as the
tool could fracture.