Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default removing emulsion paint?

What is the easiest way to remove old emulsion paint from a plastered wall?

When I removed the old wallpaper, some of the old emulsion paint underneath
came away with the paper in many places, and the differing levels would
show up if I simple painted over everything. So Ideally I'd like to remove
all the old paint, if it's not too much of a PITA to do.

Failing that, can anyone suggest a way to sort of fill in the bits where
the old emulsion came away? Polyfilla perhaps?

I don'tt want to re-paper the wall; I want to use emulsion for the final
finish.

Many thanks

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
What is the easiest way to remove old emulsion paint from a plastered
wall?

When I removed the old wallpaper, some of the old emulsion paint
underneath came away with the paper in many places, and the differing
levels would show up if I simple painted over everything. So Ideally
I'd like to remove all the old paint, if it's not too much of a PITA
to do.

Failing that, can anyone suggest a way to sort of fill in the bits
where the old emulsion came away? Polyfilla perhaps?

I don'tt want to re-paper the wall; I want to use emulsion for the
final finish.

If it's flakey, scrape it off, if it's stuck tight, leave it on.

Give it all a coat of paint.

Go over it with fine surface filler where the hollows are. (not polyfiller
or anything ready mixed, look for 'Easy-fill' by LaFarge)

Rub down and second coat, job done.

If you try to get it all off, the wall will need replastering as you'll end
up digging holes all over it with the scraper

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Phil L
wrote:
AL_n wrote:
What is the easiest way to remove old emulsion paint from a plastered
wall?

When I removed the old wallpaper, some of the old emulsion paint
underneath came away with the paper in many places, and the differing
levels would show up if I simple painted over everything. So Ideally
I'd like to remove all the old paint, if it's not too much of a PITA to
do.

Failing that, can anyone suggest a way to sort of fill in the bits
where the old emulsion came away? Polyfilla perhaps?

I don'tt want to re-paper the wall; I want to use emulsion for the
final finish.

If it's flakey, scrape it off, if it's stuck tight, leave it on.

Give it all a coat of paint.

Go over it with fine surface filler where the hollows are. (not
polyfiller or anything ready mixed, look for 'Easy-fill' by LaFarge)

Polyfilla fine surface is good and ready mixed.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2015 17:20, AL_n wrote:
What is the easiest way to remove old emulsion paint from a plastered wall?

When I removed the old wallpaper, some of the old emulsion paint underneath
came away with the paper in many places, and the differing levels would
show up if I simple painted over everything. So Ideally I'd like to remove
all the old paint, if it's not too much of a PITA to do.

Failing that, can anyone suggest a way to sort of fill in the bits where
the old emulsion came away? Polyfilla perhaps?

I don'tt want to re-paper the wall; I want to use emulsion for the final
finish.

Many thanks

Al

Might be worth trying a steam cleaner if you didn't use one already?
(Does rather depend on the type and age of the paint and plaster).

I have an older version of this, and it is excellent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Earlex-SS125...lpaper+steamer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We had a similar situation at the last house. If it is a large area then dry wall filler is the best, it's quite fine and can be smoothed down to a feathered edge and if required sands very easily. Easyfill was what I used the number after the name on the bag is the working time.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote in
:

We had a similar situation at the last house. If it is a large area
then dry wall filler is the best, it's quite fine and can be smoothed
down to a feathered edge and if required sands very easily. Easyfill
was what I used the number after the name on the bag is the working
time.

Richard

Okay - thanks to all for the replies.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Dec 2015 21:52:07 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

Tricky Dicky wrote in
:

We had a similar situation at the last house. If it is a large area
then dry wall filler is the best, it's quite fine and can be smoothed
down to a feathered edge and if required sands very easily. Easyfill
was what I used the number after the name on the bag is the working
time.

Richard

Okay - thanks to all for the replies.

Al

If it is really bad I would paper line it and not have to do the
filling.

Mike

Emulsion paint soup UK diy 5 September 29th 09 12:16 AM
removing ceiling emulsion kent UK diy 10 March 13th 08 05:47 PM
removing ceiling emulsion kent UK diy 0 March 12th 08 02:01 PM
Removing emulsion paint from plaster Brian Reay UK diy 2 July 15th 07 07:54 PM
Emulsion spots: removing from worktops [email protected] UK diy 7 January 12th 05 01:38 PM