Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default removing ceiling emulsion

The ceiling paint in our bathroom has flaked badly in places but in
others it is sound and would take a lot of scraping to remove. Is
there a quick way to remove this sound paint? Thanks for any
suggestions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"kent" wrote in message
The ceiling paint in our bathroom has flaked badly in places but in
others it is sound and would take a lot of scraping to remove. Is
there a quick way to remove this sound paint? Thanks for any
suggestions.

I tae it you ean 'unsound'paint?

It taes the best part of an hour or two to remove the paint using nitromors
and a scraper.

I've done it....:-) and this ceiling is bigger than your bathroom.

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/cei1.jpg
http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/cei2.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 12, 2:06*pm, "George" wrote:
"kent" wrote in message

The ceiling paint in our bathroom has flaked badly in places but in
others it is sound and would take a lot of scraping to remove. *Is
there a quick way to remove this sound paint? *Thanks for any
suggestions.

I tae it you ean 'unsound'paint?

It taes the best part of an hour or two to remove the paint using nitromors
and a scraper.

I've done it....:-) and this ceiling is bigger than your bathroom.

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/cei1.jp...co.uk/cei2.jpg

Thanks. I did mean SOUND. We can scrape off the unsound paint, it's
the rest that we want to get off so that it has all been removed. Can
you use nitromors on a plastered ceiling painted with emulsion?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"kent" wrote in message
On Mar 12, 2:06 pm, "George" wrote:
"kent" wrote in message

The ceiling paint in our bathroom has flaked badly in places but in
others it is sound and would take a lot of scraping to remove. Is
there a quick way to remove this sound paint? Thanks for any
suggestions.

I tae it you ean 'unsound'paint?

It taes the best part of an hour or two to remove the paint using

nitromors
and a scraper.

I've done it....:-) and this ceiling is bigger than your bathroom.

http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/cei1.jp...co.uk/cei2.jpg

Thanks. I did mean SOUND. We can scrape off the unsound paint, it's
the rest that we want to get off so that it has all been removed. Can
you use nitromors on a plastered ceiling painted with emulsion?

Well thats what I used to remove it,ie the gell type and the inexpensive
stuff you can buy cheaper.
ae sure its the gell before buying it as the liquid will go everywhere bar
the ceiling. :-)

I've even taken the covings emulsion off now,down to the plaster.
http://www.20xx20.myby.co.uk/cei3.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"kent" wrote in message

Thanks. I did mean SOUND. We can scrape off the unsound paint, it's
the rest that we want to get off so that it has all been removed. Can
you use nitromors on a plastered ceiling painted with emulsion?

Paste the nitromors onto the ceiling in as much as you thin you can handle?
then with a sharp scraper sweep it along the area you have coated with
NM,dont scrape back&forth as there's always that chance of gouging the
ceiling.

Scrape it in one fell swoop,it really does come of easy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"kent" wrote in message
On Mar 12, 2:06 pm, "George" wrote:

[...]

A bitch of a job given that it slops everywhere and attacks anything
synthetic, including plastic sheeting and gloves.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
George wrote:
"kent" wrote in message
On Mar 12, 2:06 pm, "George" wrote:
"kent" wrote in message

[...]

You should have bought those Aldi dust sheets a couple of weeks ago. ;-)

I got some on me nipple when I started this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:42:02 GMT, "George"
wrote:

"kent" wrote in message

Thanks. I did mean SOUND. We can scrape off the unsound paint, it's
the rest that we want to get off so that it has all been removed. Can
you use nitromors on a plastered ceiling painted with emulsion?

Try using a steam wallpaper stripper. I have just been using that for
the first time instead of chemical strippers and it worked just fine
though as its my first experiment I dont yet know if it would work in
all circumstances. Mine was emulsion paint over limewash

Anna
--

~ ~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

I got some on me nipple when I started this.

Bet you felt a tit!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all your words of wisdom. Today my wife removed the rest
of the paint using a scraper and lots of elbow grease! I knew there
would be a simple solution!!