Burhans

Default Removing Textured Ceiling

All,
I am in the process of removing my Textured Ceiling. It is just the
basic Spiky Drywall Ceiling. I have tried putting water on parts and taking
a drywall knife and scrapping the Texture down too the Original Drywall
Board. This works but sometimes scrapes against the board causing visible
damage to the drywall board underneath. Does anyone have any tips for
removing the texture? Has anyone done this before successfully?

Thanks

Slumlord

I found it easier to get some 3/8" (if available) or 1/2" sheetrock and
just cover the stuff up. It took less time than scraping off popcorn,
cleaning up the mess, and skim-coating the ceiling.

Burhans wrote:
All,
I am in the process of removing my Textured Ceiling. It is just the
basic Spiky Drywall Ceiling. I have tried putting water on parts and taking
a drywall knife and scrapping the Texture down too the Original Drywall
Board. This works but sometimes scrapes against the board causing visible
damage to the drywall board underneath. Does anyone have any tips for
removing the texture? Has anyone done this before successfully?

Thanks

Mike

You could always sand it down with a power belt sander. If you scrape
it off, chances are you are going to end up skim coating the ceiling
and sand it down anyway because it will be pretty hard not to nick the
drywall surface. The sanding option is going to create an intense
amount of dust.

I'd almost just rip the drywall off and rehang it, drywall is cheap.
But hanging ceiling drywall isn't exactly fun.

Charles Spitzer

"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
You could always sand it down with a power belt sander. If you scrape
it off, chances are you are going to end up skim coating the ceiling
and sand it down anyway because it will be pretty hard not to nick the
drywall surface. The sanding option is going to create an intense
amount of dust.

I'd almost just rip the drywall off and rehang it, drywall is cheap.
But hanging ceiling drywall isn't exactly fun.

a belt sander will dig more holes faster than you can blink an eye than
scraping will.

chester

Burhans wrote:
All,
I am in the process of removing my Textured Ceiling. It is just the
basic Spiky Drywall Ceiling. I have tried putting water on parts and taking
a drywall knife and scrapping the Texture down too the Original Drywall
Board. This works but sometimes scrapes against the board causing visible
damage to the drywall board underneath. Does anyone have any tips for
removing the texture? Has anyone done this before successfully?

Thanks

I had a friend with the same stuff. He covered the floor in plastic
tarp, got the garden hose in, and the stuff came off real easy once it
was hosed down. Maybe you will scratch the drywall a bit, but you will
have to repaint anyway (I would assume). Repairing a couple of scratches
is far more preferable (to me) than hanging new sheets of drywall on a
ceiling and taping/mudding seams.
ToddWiedeman

try using a more water to soften up the texture.Some drywall touch up
at the end is part of the process.Beware of texture that has asbestos
in it
Todd.

SteveB

Burhans wrote:
All,
I am in the process of removing my Textured Ceiling. It is just the
basic Spiky Drywall Ceiling. I have tried putting water on parts and
taking a drywall knife and scrapping the Texture down too the Original
Drywall Board. This works but sometimes scrapes against the board causing
visible damage to the drywall board underneath. Does anyone have any tips
for removing the texture? Has anyone done this before successfully?

Thanks

We just had it done to about 500 sf in our house. I had done it before, and
we just sprayed with hand pump sprayers, let it sit about five minutes, then
scraped. These guys used very little water, and there was minimal mess
compared to the job we did.

I did notice that they used wide scrapers like drywall knives. Keep the
scraper almost flat on the surface. I think that keeps you from digging in
at any one place. Don't worry if you don't get it all in one swipe. Make
more than one pass.

If your popcorn has never been painted, it will come off infinitely easier
than if it has been painted. The original mix will have something to do
with it, too, as will temperature and humidity.

I saw a guy do it one time with a big vacuum hose attatched to a pan type
contraption that had a scraper edge on it. It was a very clean process. As
the texture fell, it went right down the vacuum hose.

Just don't rush it. It really does come off easy.

Steve