Default "Smoothing" ceiling.... (removing artex & plastering)

Well we all know rough artex is out of fashion!

I'm about to gut our en-suite shower room and hence I will be (have
been) on here doing far too much research instead of working. Small
room - only seen by me & the missus. So a good room to practice on!

The FAQ suggests steaming off the existing artex - so I will do this
over the weekend. Then cut holes for recessed halogen lights. If it
is still rough I'll sand it fairly smooth.

But before painting I assume it'll need a thin skim of plaster. Is it
plaster or is there something else to use? And does this just bond to
the plasterboard or does it need some form of preparation/adhesive?

Cheers!

Due to your comments, my dad saying "Eek! Don't do it" and a mate
saying "oh ohhhh" - I am going to live with what I have! A lick of
paint and leave as is.

TBH - work vs. reward isn't really going to pay back here. Rest of
house is the same artex - so it still looks like it fits.

The time is best spent doing the rest of the job properly.

Thanks!