Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing a Hampton Bay ceiling fan

Afternoon.

Sadly, I am having a problem removing a Hampton Bay ceiling fan.
Believe it or not, I can't determine how to take the "main" piece down
from the ceiling. I've removed as many pieces as I can see, and still
the motor remains attached. I do see 4 screws attached to the portion
that turns, but I can't see how that will allow the entire structure to
be removed.

I looked online for a Hampton Bay manual with no luck. There are no
screws on the outer portion of the fan that would, seemingly, connect
it to the ceiling/mounting piece.

Any ideas? I know this is awful but I could use any help.

Thanks ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Nov 2006 11:36:41 -0800, "Shaggy" wrote:

Afternoon.

Sadly, I am having a problem removing a Hampton Bay ceiling fan.
Believe it or not, I can't determine how to take the "main" piece down
from the ceiling. I've removed as many pieces as I can see, and still
the motor remains attached. I do see 4 screws attached to the portion
that turns, but I can't see how that will allow the entire structure to
be removed.

I looked online for a Hampton Bay manual with no luck. There are no
screws on the outer portion of the fan that would, seemingly, connect
it to the ceiling/mounting piece.

Any ideas? I know this is awful but I could use any help.

Thanks ...

Have you removed the canopy from the ceiling to expose the ceiling
box? Fans are mounted with hooks or swivel brackets.

Lift the fan out of the bracket.

(follow safety)
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Nov 2006 11:36:41 -0800, "Shaggy" wrote:

Afternoon.

Sadly, I am having a problem removing a Hampton Bay ceiling fan.
Believe it or not, I can't determine how to take the "main" piece down
from the ceiling. I've removed as many pieces as I can see, and still
the motor remains attached. I do see 4 screws attached to the portion
that turns, but I can't see how that will allow the entire structure to
be removed.

I looked online for a Hampton Bay manual with no luck. There are no
screws on the outer portion of the fan that would, seemingly, connect
it to the ceiling/mounting piece.

Any ideas? I know this is awful but I could use any help.

Thanks ...

If it's like mine, there is a trim ring right at the ceiling that you
rotate a bit (CCW) and then slide down. This exposes 4 screws that
mount the metal canopy to the fan mounting bracket. Take out the four
screws and slide the canopy down. Now you will see the ball end of
the fan down rod and the electrical connections. Shut off the power at
the breaker (should have said this first!), disconnect the wires, and
lift the fan up and slide the ball end out the side. You're done.

HTH,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Paul Franklin, Ander wrote:
If it's like mine, there is a trim ring right at the ceiling that you rotate a

bit (CCW) and then slide down. This exposes 4 screws that mount the metal canopy
to the fan mounting bracket.

Thanks so much for this. I was stumped, and you were exactly right! Cheers,
Ander

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...an-165222-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On 8/15/2016 5:14 AM, Ander wrote:
replying to Paul Franklin, Ander wrote:
If it's like mine, there is a trim ring right at the ceiling that you
rotate a

bit (CCW) and then slide down. This exposes 4 screws that mount the
metal canopy
to the fan mounting bracket.

Thanks so much for this. I was stumped, and you were exactly right! Cheers,
Ander

I gots yer hampton hangin'.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Shaggy, Lisa Wallace wrote:
i needed leverage to remove the flush mount canopy on a Hampton Bay Hawkins
ceiling fan. I attached 2 small C clamps on the lip on opposite sides of the
canopy (not centered since the motor is still hanging in the way). Then I ran
a bar from a long bar clamp through the small clamps. I was able to hold each
end of the bar and put more strength into the counter clockwise turn to loosen
the canopy from its 4 mounting studs.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...an-165222-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
kn kn is offline

What do you do if the trim ring won't turn enough to have it drop down

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...an-165222-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 5:15:07 PM UTC-4, kn wrote:
What do you do if the trim ring won't turn enough to have it drop down

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...an-165222-.htm

Does it rotate back and forth at all? As I recall they just rotate maybe 1/4 to 1/2"
enough to move to the slotted section so it will pull off. Try pulling on it while
rocking it back and forth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 06:15:53 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 5:15:07 PM UTC-4, kn wrote:
What do you do if the trim ring won't turn enough to have it drop down

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...an-165222-.htm

Does it rotate back and forth at all? As I recall they just rotate maybe 1/4 to 1/2"
enough to move to the slotted section so it will pull off. Try pulling on it while
rocking it back and forth.

I hope the OP removed the locking screw. On mine, two of the three holes
are slotted but the third screw is fully captured and has to be removed
before the trim will turn.

Finishing off a basement Step 1 ? 46erjoe Home Repair 16 February 1st 06 05:01 PM
Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan pk Home Repair 1 January 12th 06 09:27 PM
"Smoothing" ceiling.... (removing artex & plastering) [email protected] UK diy 2 March 11th 05 09:55 AM
Removing Textured Ceiling Burhans Home Repair 8 March 11th 05 05:46 AM
Installing Ceiling Fan with Red wire on electrical box. Josh Home Repair 20 July 31st 03 11:53 AM