Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default removing emulsion paint?

In article , Phil L
wrote:
AL_n wrote:
What is the easiest way to remove old emulsion paint from a plastered
wall?

When I removed the old wallpaper, some of the old emulsion paint
underneath came away with the paper in many places, and the differing
levels would show up if I simple painted over everything. So Ideally
I'd like to remove all the old paint, if it's not too much of a PITA to
do.

Failing that, can anyone suggest a way to sort of fill in the bits
where the old emulsion came away? Polyfilla perhaps?

I don'tt want to re-paper the wall; I want to use emulsion for the
final finish.

If it's flakey, scrape it off, if it's stuck tight, leave it on.

Give it all a coat of paint.

Go over it with fine surface filler where the hollows are. (not
polyfiller or anything ready mixed, look for 'Easy-fill' by LaFarge)

Polyfilla fine surface is good and ready mixed.

Rub down and second coat, job done.

If you try to get it all off, the wall will need replastering as you'll
end up digging holes all over it with the scraper

--
Please note new email address: