Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Very poor suppression

Two devices bought this week. Both work OK but the problem is that their
power supplies being of the switch mode kind push out lots of annoying RF
at frequencies between 100khz and around 20mhz. One of my hobbies is
listening to the short waves and even medium and long waves, so its all a
bit depressing to find that in order to continue both items need to be off.
One, the DVD has the psu inside its box and the on off switch does not
seemingly turn off the psu, which whines away at various places in the
spectrum, but the True Call cal screening device, although it works fine
puts out a nasty load of birdies quite close together which move as you do
various things on the unit or remotely, and have a 50 hz buzz on them for
good measure.
I may ask the company if they know of a source of old fashioned psus for it
as it has a very tiny right angled plug on the end of the wall wart wire.
Life is just getting very depressing when you consider how long we have
been making switch mode devices, surely we should expect better by now!
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2015 09:04, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Two devices bought this week. Both work OK but the problem is that their
power supplies being of the switch mode kind push out lots of annoying RF
at frequencies between 100khz and around 20mhz.

You need the Aulterra Whole House Neutralizer as mentioned in one of the
recent Russ Andrews threads

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 09:04:46 +0000, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Two devices bought this week. Both work OK but the problem is that their
power supplies being of the switch mode kind push out lots of annoying
RF at frequencies between 100khz and around 20mhz. One of my hobbies is
listening to the short waves and even medium and long waves, so its all
a bit depressing to find that in order to continue both items need to be
off.

Yeah, those cheap Chinese switchers are a menace. You need a linear
supply you reckon? Try these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=...supply&x=0&y=0
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian-Gaff" writes:
Two devices bought this week. Both work OK but the problem is that their
power supplies being of the switch mode kind push out lots of annoying RF
at frequencies between 100khz and around 20mhz. One of my hobbies is
listening to the short waves and even medium and long waves, so its all a
bit depressing to find that in order to continue both items need to be off.
One, the DVD has the psu inside its box and the on off switch does not
seemingly turn off the psu, which whines away at various places in the

You could try looping all the connections to it through large ferrite
toroids as near to the case as you can get them. The mains lead is
probably the most critical.

spectrum, but the True Call cal screening device, although it works fine
puts out a nasty load of birdies quite close together which move as you do
various things on the unit or remotely, and have a 50 hz buzz on them for
good measure.

Replcement wall-warts are easily and cheaply available.
You may even have a suitable one laying around.

I may ask the company if they know of a source of old fashioned psus for it
as it has a very tiny right angled plug on the end of the wall wart wire.
Life is just getting very depressing when you consider how long we have
been making switch mode devices, surely we should expect better by now!

Another option might be a better radio aerial, so the radio can run
with the AGC lower, and not amplify the interference so much.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 December 2015 11:58:12 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Brian-Gaff" writes:

Two devices bought this week. Both work OK but the problem is that their
power supplies being of the switch mode kind push out lots of annoying RF
at frequencies between 100khz and around 20mhz. One of my hobbies is

Replcement wall-warts are easily and cheaply available.
You may even have a suitable one laying around.

Be aware that all new ones are switched mode these days. Get an old heavy one.

I may ask the company if they know of a source of old fashioned psus for it
as it has a very tiny right angled plug on the end of the wall wart wire.
Life is just getting very depressing when you consider how long we have
been making switch mode devices, surely we should expect better by now!

they're better in that they're cheaper.

Another option might be a better radio aerial, so the radio can run
with the AGC lower, and not amplify the interference so much.

or put the PSU in an earthed biscuit tin, with ferrites & caps on in & outputs.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I doubt one could retro fit anything to anything to cope with this. the
components need to be in the power supplies and in some cases the design is
so bad that the little transformer saturates and makes things much worse as
everything has sharp edges and lots of harmonics.
The dvd is a cheap Panasonic, but it sounds very good, though I've not
managed to work out how to play a cd yet without it muting between tracks as
if you had select the tracks manually, not just let it play the whole cd.
Annoying on some classical sound effect and segway type material.

the True call looks like a coommon Chinese type wall wart to me.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 13/12/2015 09:04, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Two devices bought this week. Both work OK but the problem is that their
power supplies being of the switch mode kind push out lots of annoying
RF
at frequencies between 100khz and around 20mhz.

You need the Aulterra Whole House Neutralizer as mentioned in one of the
recent Russ Andrews threads

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I firstly need a talking meter to find out what the voltage and polarity is
though. On the Panasonic dvd, I think a switch may have to be purchased for
the plug end, as no way will I be delving in there,and besides, its probably
not just the psu, but the various circuits in the player, but when one
considers the cost its bloody amazing that it sounds so good. It also placys
files on ramsticks and cds as well as rewritable cds, an everything else
except blue rays and is multi region.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 09:04:46 +0000, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Two devices bought this week. Both work OK but the problem is that their
power supplies being of the switch mode kind push out lots of annoying
RF at frequencies between 100khz and around 20mhz. One of my hobbies is
listening to the short waves and even medium and long waves, so its all
a bit depressing to find that in order to continue both items need to be
off.

Yeah, those cheap Chinese switchers are a menace. You need a linear
supply you reckon? Try these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=...supply&x=0&y=0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The aerial is outside and it would be hard to get it much further away than
it is.

Of course today, another idiot has installed over the mains internet, so now
we have clicking noises whining sounds and very strange warbles. Must be a
person fairly close with a the powerline adaptor. Its almost getting to the
point where the only people who can listen are those in huge places devoid
of human habitation with the gear running of batteries.

Down the road from me is a factory which makes and refurbisheds machine
tools. When we drive by in a taxi his radio is obliterated by a severe
whining noise. Nobody cares it seems.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Brian-Gaff" writes:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 14:17:43 +0000, Brian-Gaff wrote:

I firstly need a talking meter to find out what the voltage and
polarity is though. On the Panasonic dvd, I think a switch may have to
be purchased for the plug end, as no way will I be delving in there,and
besides, its probably not just the psu, but the various circuits in the
player, but when one considers the cost its bloody amazing that it
sounds so good. It also placys files on ramsticks and cds as well as
rewritable cds, an everything else except blue rays and is multi region.
Brian

Surely to god there's someone in your area who could do this for you? If
you're visually impaired there should be some support available, I'd have
thought?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 14:22:30 +0000, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Down the road from me is a factory which makes and refurbisheds machine
tools. When we drive by in a taxi his radio is obliterated by a severe
whining noise. Nobody cares it seems.

I share your pain, bro. Plus I have to inspect signals down to -120dBm!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote

I doubt one could retro fit anything to anything to cope with this. the
components need to be in the power supplies

To get the best result anyway.

and in some cases the design is so bad that the little transformer
saturates and makes things much worse as everything has sharp edges and
lots of harmonics.

The obvious thing to do is replace the wall wart with one
of the older linear ones with an iron cored transformer.

You could also replace it with a better designed switcher but
it would be rather harder to work out which is better designed
particularly when buying them on ebay or amazon etc.

The dvd is a cheap Panasonic, but it sounds very good, though I've not
managed to work out how to play a cd yet without it muting between tracks
as if you had select the tracks manually, not just let it play the whole
cd. Annoying on some classical sound effect and segway type material.

The original question might be rather academic if
you decide that that behaviour is not acceptable and
return it for a full refund under the sale of goods act.

the True call looks like a coommon Chinese type wall wart to me.

Yeah, haven't noticed many of those brands that put too much
effort into the design of the wall wart now except Apple and
I haven't checked the Apple ones for interference either but
it should be easy to borrow and Apple one to try. Hardly
any normal wall warts tho, they don’t even bother to
supply a car charger for their phones and ipads.

alan_m wrote
Brian-Gaff wrote

Two devices bought this week. Both work OK but the problem is that their
power supplies being of the switch mode kind push out lots of annoying
RF at frequencies between 100khz and around 20mhz.

You need the Aulterra Whole House Neutralizer as mentioned in one of the
recent Russ Andrews threads

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

You could try putting ferrite chokes onto their PSU cables - it might
help a bit by preventing the RF having an aerial lead to radiate from.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ferrite-clip-on-hem3012-n89ab

(Cheaper from proper components suppliers but MOQ applies)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Useful little app for those of us with poor memories ... Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 5 December 23rd 13 04:10 AM
Are you poor? Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 48 September 27th 11 04:24 AM
Residential Grounding and Surge Suppression Jim Redelfs Home Repair 15 April 22nd 08 02:25 AM
Help me die poor! Hank UK diy 11 March 5th 07 07:03 AM
Suppression of (electrical) noise from CH Thermostat Set Square UK diy 20 September 13th 04 06:20 PM