Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Buying steel plate

I'm "improving" my 1300x750 metalwork bench and want to put a steel
plate on the double layer (about 80mm) chipboard top. Metal Supermarkets
£85+VAT for a 6mm plate - is there anywhere to get steel plate at a
significantly better price?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Buying steel plate - preventing rust?

newshound wrote:

That would probably work, but don't forget what mineral oil can achieve.
When I started metalwork lessons at school, everything we made was
finished by draw-filing and then going down through the emery papers
with liberal amounts of oil. Mild steel finished that way is actually
quite rust-resistant.

That brings back memories. I still have a few such pieces in
reasonable condition after over 50 years.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.