Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default eggshell paint: does it yellow?

Hello,

I am about to paint some woodwork and I would like to paint it white.
I like oil-based gloss but it yellows and the water-based gloss that I
have tried in the past leaves brush strokes and is not very strong nor
very glossy. I thought I read here that eggshell was a good
compromise?

I am confused because there are both acrylic eggshell and oil-based
eggshell. Do both of them stay white or is it only the acrylic one?

I bought a tin of Wickes trade undercoat and Wickes trade eggshell
yesterday, both are oil-based, but reading the tins, they say that
some yellowing may occur. I don't know if that is specific to the
eggshell or whether they just print it on all of their cans?

I am wondering whether to return it for water based stuff? Is it the
case that you cannot use oil based undercoat with an aqueous topcoat
or vice versa? Once it is dry, why would it matter? Has anyone used
the Wickes trade paints? Are they any good?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
[...]

There is a new water based high gloss enamel in Australia which is very
shiny so I presume you would have it also.