DeeBee

Default Hardest wearing White Eggshell Paint - Advise please ???

Hi

Just redecorating hall stairs landing and changing the banisters from
stained mahogany to white.

Bearing in mind these areas get a fair amount of wear and tear and I am
going from a dark colour to white any advise on types / brands of paint
that are the hardest wearing / most resistant to knocks etc.

Iwant to use an eggshell / silk finish, not high g;oss and I normally
use a water based paint due to having tropical fish in the house, but in
this case I will make an exception and use oil based paint if it gives
better durability. I can closeof the room the fish are in and have all
the windows / doors open to vent the area.

Any advise please???

cheers

DeeBee
Slurp

"DeeBee" wrote in message
. ..
Hi

Just redecorating hall stairs landing and changing the banisters from
stained mahogany to white.

Bearing in mind these areas get a fair amount of wear and tear and I am
going from a dark colour to white any advise on types / brands of paint
that are the hardest wearing / most resistant to knocks etc.

Iwant to use an eggshell / silk finish, not high g;oss and I normally use
a water based paint due to having tropical fish in the house, but in this
case I will make an exception and use oil based paint if it gives better
durability. I can closeof the room the fish are in and have all the
windows / doors open to vent the area.

Any advise please???

cheers

DeeBee

Always used Dulux Satinwood - very hard wearing, no undercoat required.

Slurp

Stuart Noble

DeeBee wrote:
Hi

Just redecorating hall stairs landing and changing the banisters from
stained mahogany to white.

Jesus, the 60s are back.

Stuart Noble wrote:
DeeBee wrote:
Hi

Just redecorating hall stairs landing and changing the banisters from
stained mahogany to white.

Jesus, the 60s are back.

He can count his blessings, I've just had to paint over yacht varnished
doors and skirtings ... :-0

Was stripping it off, then went to flatting off and roughing up...

Cheers

Paul.

Slurp

wrote in message
oups.com...

Stuart Noble wrote:
DeeBee wrote:
Hi

Just redecorating hall stairs landing and changing the banisters from
stained mahogany to white.

Jesus, the 60s are back.

He can count his blessings, I've just had to paint over yacht varnished
doors and skirtings ... :-0

Was stripping it off, then went to flatting off and roughing up...

Cheers

Paul.

..... be nailing sheets of hardboard on our moulded doors next

Tim S

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 17:54:37 +0100, Slurp wrote:

..... be nailing sheets of hardboard on our moulded doors next

Or boxing in your banisters with it...

Ah, the memories. The hardboard on the doors isn't too bad. Well, yes,
it's bad, but 20 years later someone else can pull it off and marvel
at the wonderful panelled doors they just inherited. Like we did in the
70's

Dealing with the 1930's (or 40's) combed woodgrain effect we then found
was harder. Turns to toffee when heated then sets like glass on yer
scraper, needs gallons of stripper to shift it, sands about as well as
tarmac. Some got Ronstrip'd, the rest painted over.

Tim
Tim S

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 16:33:30 +0000, Stuart Noble wrote:

DeeBee wrote:
Hi

Just redecorating hall stairs landing and changing the banisters from
stained mahogany to white.

Jesus, the 60s are back.

They are you know. Have you seen some of the haircuts the lads of
today are sporting? Suspiciously early Beatles...

Tim