Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Key for external electricity meter

Our 1980s house has one with a 1/3 inch per side
triangular spine inside a 1/2 inch casing. Pliers
wont grip the spine. Any ideas where I can get a
key please?
Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

goodolpete wrote:
Our 1980s house has one with a 1/3 inch per side
triangular spine inside a 1/2 inch casing. Pliers
wont grip the spine. Any ideas where I can get a
key please?
Pete

Hardware store. eBay. It's a standard meter cupboard key by the sound of
it.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2015 16:00, goodolpete wrote:
Our 1980s house has one with a 1/3 inch per side
triangular spine inside a 1/2 inch casing. Pliers
wont grip the spine. Any ideas where I can get a
key please?

If you have a socket set, one of those (I forget the size) fits. Trial
and error will enlighten.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
F news@nowhere wrote:
On 10/11/2015 16:00, goodolpete wrote:
Our 1980s house has one with a 1/3 inch per side
triangular spine inside a 1/2 inch casing. Pliers
wont grip the spine. Any ideas where I can get a
key please?

If you have a socket set, one of those (I forget the size) fits. Trial
and error will enlighten.

sold on ebay as (believe it or not) "meter key"

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 4:00:43 PM UTC, goodolpete wrote:
Our 1980s house has one with a 1/3 inch per side
triangular spine inside a 1/2 inch casing. Pliers
wont grip the spine. Any ideas where I can get a
key please?
Pete

Cheers.
I've been doing unsuccessful searches for phrases like "triangular key".
Easy when you know, isn't it............

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/11/2015 16:00, goodolpete wrote:
Our 1980s house has one with a 1/3 inch per side
triangular spine inside a 1/2 inch casing. Pliers
wont grip the spine. Any ideas where I can get a
key please?

If you have a socket set, one of those (I forget the size) fits. Trial and
error will enlighten.

Just like the old anti vandal Thorn 2D bulkhead lights used in communal
areas of flats etc:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2015 16:59, goodolpete wrote:

I've been doing unsuccessful searches for phrases like "triangular key".

You think to much. Just act daft like everybody else.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 08:00:34 -0800 (PST), goodolpete
wrote:

Our 1980s house has one with a 1/3 inch per side
triangular spine inside a 1/2 inch casing. Pliers
wont grip the spine. Any ideas where I can get a
key please?

Before the utilities were privatised the East Midlands Electricity
Board gave them out free in their shops.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Our 1980s house has one with a 1/3 inch per side
triangular spine inside a 1/2 inch casing. Pliers
wont grip the spine. Any ideas where I can get a
key please?

Before the utilities were privatised the East Midlands Electricity
Board gave them out free in their shops.

As did British Gas a couple of years ago. To non-customers even.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Our 1980s house has one with a 1/3 inch per side
triangular spine inside a 1/2 inch casing. Pliers
wont grip the spine. Any ideas where I can get a
key please?

Before the utilities were privatised the East Midlands Electricity
Board gave them out free in their shops.

Toolstation call them: Service Cabinet Keys which is why I struggled to
find them in the catalogue - but the man in the shop knew what I wanted :-)

Peter

Gas meter external box replacement. T i m UK diy 1 July 2nd 11 11:19 AM
New electricity meter - rip-off js.b1 UK diy 1 August 12th 09 02:16 AM
external gas meter box coffeeman UK diy 7 December 10th 06 11:34 PM
External Meter Box Spares Steve UK diy 4 October 27th 05 07:29 PM
Third party electricity meter to verify electricity bills New Question Home Repair 6 November 24th 04 08:27 AM