Steve

Default External Meter Box Spares

My house was built about 15 years ago and has two white meter boxes or
cupboards set in to an outside wall so that the meters can be read
without getting in to the house.

Great idea, but now the door catches have worn and the doors now have a
tendency to swing open at times of their own choosing. They are the
type that you open with a key that fits over the end a triangular nylon
rod. Does anybody know where I can get spares for these things?

Life has taught me to expect that the whole box has to be replaced, even
though it's only the catch that is faulty. Please tell me I am wrong
because it looks to me like the meters would have to be removed before
the boxes could be replaced.

TIA
Steve

Steve wrote:
My house was built about 15 years ago and has two white meter boxes or
cupboards set in to an outside wall so that the meters can be read
without getting in to the house.

Great idea, but now the door catches have worn and the doors now have a
tendency to swing open at times of their own choosing. They are the
type that you open with a key that fits over the end a triangular nylon
rod. Does anybody know where I can get spares for these things?

Life has taught me to expect that the whole box has to be replaced, even
though it's only the catch that is faulty. Please tell me I am wrong
because it looks to me like the meters would have to be removed before
the boxes could be replaced.

TIA
Steve

Speak to your services supplier/s. AFAIK the boxes are the
responsibility and property of the energy companies.

Frank Erskine

http://www.mitrascomposites.co.uk/

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
hammy1967

wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve wrote:
[...]

they are the responsibility of the home owner not the utilities company
however the spare can normally be sourced from a decent building supply
company or some times ordered via your gas or electric supplier

John

"hammy1967" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve wrote:
My house was built about 15 years ago and has two white meter boxes or
cupboards set in to an outside wall so that the meters can be read
without getting in to the house.

Great idea, but now the door catches have worn and the doors now have a
tendency to swing open at times of their own choosing. They are the
type that you open with a key that fits over the end a triangular nylon
rod. Does anybody know where I can get spares for these things?

Life has taught me to expect that the whole box has to be replaced, even
though it's only the catch that is faulty. Please tell me I am wrong
because it looks to me like the meters would have to be removed before
the boxes could be replaced.

It surely isn't beyond making a simple alternative or at least trying an
enclosure catch from one of the electrical cabinet manufacturers such a
Rittall, Legrand, etc
I believe they do the triangular key options also.

Update ? Meter to test thermoelectric potential of unknown metal Bill Janssen Metalworking 0 October 13th 05 12:05 AM
Gas meter regulations Chris UK diy 11 April 20th 05 05:49 PM
water meter set aside plans dave @ stejonda UK diy 10 March 19th 04 11:59 PM
munet digital electric watthour meter login problem INTERESTING TECHNOLOGY! jack morgan Home Repair 0 November 15th 03 07:21 PM
Huge water bill; freeze; meter failure; who should pay? Scoot Home Repair 10 July 22nd 03 02:51 AM