Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default external gas meter box

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and hope someone can give me a bit of
advice.

My gas meter is fixed to my external house wall but within a lean-to
garage. It is not recessed into the wall, it is mounted on a steel
plate fixed directly to the brickwork at a height of 1800mm. The
incoming gas pipe comes vertically from the floor to the same height as
the top of the meter but 200mm to the right of it and connects into the
top of the meter with a 'bendy' metal pipe. The cut-off lever is at the
top of the rigid vertical pipe. The outgoing pipe comes from the top of
the meter and bends left after about 600mm then runs along the garage
wall and into the kitchen wall further along.

I want to have the garage dismantled which would leave the exposed
meter outside.

I obviously want to box the meter in securely with a lockable door for
access (I assume this is legally necessary too?).

Now, most boxes I have seen for sale online assume the incoming pipe
comes in from below and the outgoing pipe goes straight into the
brickwork rather than back out of the box. Is it possible to buy boxes
that simply slot over full meters and bolt to the wall, with a means of
cutting out holes where the piping needs to go?

Alternatively is it allowed to make your own slot-over box? It would be
no problem for me to make a secure, weather-proof, lockable wooden box
to fully enclose the meter, flexible pipe and cut-off lever which I
could fit without disturbing any of the pipework.

Or any other suggestions?

hope this makes sense, with apologies for not knowing the correct
jargon!!

cheers
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Dec 2006 04:11:29 -0800, "coffeeman" wrote:

[...]

Could you not build a little housing made of matching brick ( matching your
house) with a metal door which can be secured with the same lock as used for
otside meter boxes to allow the meter reader to open it when he/she calls .

Stuart .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

coffeeman wrote:

I obviously want to box the meter in securely with a lockable door for
access (I assume this is legally necessary too?).

Well it certainly needs nothing other than the standard triangular
lock/key that the gas-meter readers carry; whether you're allowed to
leave it totally unlocked I don't know. If it's on your land away from
the public footpath where vandals could wreak havoc, I expect it's
probably OK unlocked.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart" wrote in message
[...]

.

Stuart .

You are responsible for the safe enclosure of the gas meter, according to
the chap at Transco whom I spoke to earlier this year.

--
the_constructor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and hope someone can give me a bit of
advice.

My gas meter is fixed to my external house wall but within a lean-to
garage. It is not recessed into the wall, it is mounted on a steel
plate fixed directly to the brickwork at a height of 1800mm. The
incoming gas pipe comes vertically from the floor to the same height as
the top of the meter but 200mm to the right of it and connects into the
top of the meter with a 'bendy' metal pipe. The cut-off lever is at the
top of the rigid vertical pipe. The outgoing pipe comes from the top of
the meter and bends left after about 600mm then runs along the garage
wall and into the kitchen wall further along.

Your best option would probably be to engage your joinery skills and
make a wooden weatherproof box yourself. Fiddling about trying to fit
a standard surface monut meter box would be too much trouble as the
connections arent right and they would need alteration which means
££££

joe

Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks for all the suggestions, my preference would definitely be to
build my own box which I would be competant to do - just wondering
whether there are any regulations about meter boxes that I would need
to work to?

I would look into fixing a standard recessed meter cover onto my box so
it locked with a normal meter-reader's key. Any thoughts?

thanks again

Alan

wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Ask the owners of the meter what they would be happy with.
Whilst the enclosure is the freeholders responsibility its requirements
will be set down by Transco.

It would be a straight forward job to reroute the outlet gas pipe to suit
the box.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[top post corrected]
wrote:

[...]

Try this lot: they may have a box to suit, or I note you can even buy
the locks (and other parts) separately:
http://www.meter-boxes.co.uk/content/home.asp

David

Gas meter wall box installation nafuk UK diy 2 October 4th 06 09:04 PM
External Meter Box Spares Steve UK diy 4 October 27th 05 07:29 PM
Gas meter box [email protected] UK diy 5 June 18th 05 03:53 PM
Gas meter box location [email protected] UK diy 1 June 2nd 05 12:27 PM
New gas meter box damp proofing Terry Thorne UK diy 0 November 29th 03 03:04 PM