Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Securing gasket strip to a metal back box.

Following on from a phone call I had earlier this week I thought that I
had better try this.

We were talking about the problem of securely gluing a strip of flexible
gasket into a metal back box.

I suggested "Gorilla Glue", which is a low expansion foam and sticks
like $hit to the proverbial blanket. Having suggested it I thought that
I'd better try it. Just a very thin line of it inside the strip plus a
bit of moisture, an hour or so wait and it is well and truly stuck.
Nothing short of an angle grinder will move it!

Apart from the time delay it seems quite promising.

Does any one else have a favourite gluing method?
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
harry writes
On Sunday, 8 November 2015 16:05:00 UTC, Bill wrote:
Following on from a phone call I had earlier this week I thought that I
had better try this.

We were talking about the problem of securely gluing a strip of flexible
gasket into a metal back box.

I suggested "Gorilla Glue", which is a low expansion foam and sticks
like $hit to the proverbial blanket. Having suggested it I thought that
I'd better try it. Just a very thin line of it inside the strip plus a
bit of moisture, an hour or so wait and it is well and truly stuck.
Nothing short of an angle grinder will move it!

Apart from the time delay it seems quite promising.

Does any one else have a favourite gluing method?
--
Bill

Evostik?

Maybe, it needs to be quite firm and not give way if long lengths cables
are pulled through the aperture.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill writes:
In message ,
harry writes
On Sunday, 8 November 2015 16:05:00 UTC, Bill wrote:
Following on from a phone call I had earlier this week I thought that I
had better try this.

We were talking about the problem of securely gluing a strip of flexible
gasket into a metal back box.

I suggested "Gorilla Glue", which is a low expansion foam and sticks
like $hit to the proverbial blanket. Having suggested it I thought that
I'd better try it. Just a very thin line of it inside the strip plus a
bit of moisture, an hour or so wait and it is well and truly stuck.
Nothing short of an angle grinder will move it!

Apart from the time delay it seems quite promising.

Does any one else have a favourite gluing method?

Evostik?

Maybe, it needs to be quite firm and not give way if long lengths cables
are pulled through the aperture.

I've used Evostick in the past. Need to make sure solvent
is completely gone before operating any nearby switches,
particularly if you've used it on something like a steel
consumer unit - I let it fully set for a couple of days
before installing.

BTW, a good way of making your own grommet strip is to
slice down the centre of T&E (knife against the earth),
and use the resulting discarded sheath. You get a slightly
wider and slightly narrower side given the knife is one
side of the earth, and you can get different thicknesses
by using different thickness T&E. The PVC is obviously
completely compatibe with the PVC wiring, although its
friction coefficient is high. For low friction coefficient,
you want polypropylene or teflon, but those will both be
much harder to glue, due to being non-stick.

--
Andrew Gabriel