Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O/T Silica used in frackiing and comment from FoE spokesman.

On Monday 19th October 2015 I had the abject pleasure of watching
North West Tonight's report on something to do with fracking. In
the report there was a spokesman from Freinds of the Earth who
was dutifully reporting his reasons why fracking was bad, and at
one point stated that silica which was used for some process in
fracking was a known human carcinogen. Now the problem is that I
wasn't paying full attention to this glorious broadcast, but the
bit about silica being carcinogenic stuck out, as it did with
other people watching in the same room.

I understand silicosis ain't great - but that, AFAIK, is due to
silica DUST getting into your lungs, not silica being handled.

Sadly the episode of NWT is no longer available on iPlayer.

My questions a

1. Am I missing something about silica - is it infact dangerous?

2. What is silica used for in fracking?

Thanks in advance,

David Paste.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Paste wrote:

1. Am I missing something about silica - is it infact dangerous?

Not really, sand is mainly silica

2. What is silica used for in fracking?

To hold the tiny cracks in the rock open, so the gas can get out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 October 2015 21:34:23 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
David Paste wrote:

1. Am I missing something about silica - is it infact dangerous?

Not really, sand is mainly silica

Yes, this is what I thought.

2. What is silica used for in fracking?

To hold the tiny cracks in the rock open, so the gas can get out.

Thank you very much Andy!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 22:27:04 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

IMO it shows just how disingenuous the FOE are if they have to

resort
to such scare tactics. Either that, or they are technically and
scientifically incompetent. I can see armies of the ignorant

believing
that fracking uses carcinogenic material and we're all going to

die of
cancer if fracking is allowed.

We all know that these outfits have form as liars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-34570974

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2015 21:22, David Paste wrote:
On Monday 19th October 2015 I had the abject pleasure of watching
North West Tonight's report on something to do with fracking. In
the report there was a spokesman from Freinds of the Earth who
was dutifully reporting his reasons why fracking was bad, and at
one point stated that silica which was used for some process in
fracking was a known human carcinogen. Now the problem is that I
wasn't paying full attention to this glorious broadcast, but the
bit about silica being carcinogenic stuck out, as it did with
other people watching in the same room.

I understand silicosis ain't great - but that, AFAIK, is due to
silica DUST getting into your lungs, not silica being handled.

Sadly the episode of NWT is no longer available on iPlayer.

My questions a

1. Am I missing something about silica - is it infact dangerous?

There's been a fuss about this. F of the E were telling big porkies.
Beaches are made of silica. If the BBC broadcast these claims
uncontested they need to broadcast a correction.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015...causes-cancer/

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/15 22:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
IMO it shows just how disingenuous the FOE are if they have to resort
to such scare tactics. Either that, or they are technically and
scientifically incompetent.

Try Both.

--
Global warming is the new Margaret Thatcher. There is no ill in the
world it's not directly responsible for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

I can see armies of the ignorant believing
that fracking uses carcinogenic material and we're all going to die of
cancer if fracking is allowed.

The armies of the ignorant probably don't realise fracking has been used
in hundreds of UK onshore oil/gas sites for decades.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23756320
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Midlands_Oil_Province#Geography

The difference is that for shale you need higher pressures and volumes
than limestones and sandstones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
David Paste wrote:
[Snip}
I shouted at the TV when Look NW broadcast that item
I understand silicosis ain't great - but that, AFAIK, is
due to silica DUST getting into your lungs, not silica
being handled.

Sadly the episode of NWT is no longer available on
iPlayer.

My questions a

1. Am I missing something about silica - is it infact
dangerous?

I seem to remember the most recent advice about dangers of
silica was for 'roofers' (or D-i-Y'ers) cutting roof tiles
for the valleys and ridges in situ and without masks.

John

--
John Mulrooney

I bet being with gamblers anonymous will work this time

Silica gel for drying Pete Verdon UK diy 21 January 3rd 10 11:36 AM
Blue Silica Gel [email protected] UK diy 13 September 12th 08 03:25 PM
Silica Sand Jon Home Repair 21 April 22nd 06 01:47 PM
Silica gel Real Ale UK diy 18 October 13th 05 06:30 PM
Silica Gel Bob Smith \(UK\) UK diy 7 October 22nd 04 10:54 AM